Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:05 pm 

Hi!

I got my hands on a second hand Stoeger X5 (495fps version, very lightly used). The trigger was very heavy and it would shoot crosman premier match wadcutters at about 360-370 fps. It would also smoke after every shot despite the fact I put over 700 pellets through it.

I opened it up, cleaned up, sanded rough edges and polished the inside of the compression tube (there was some rust like residue there).
There wasn't really much grease anywhere inside, except for the piston seal - it was pretty much swimming in oil. It also is discolored - yellow with brownish spots and flakes of metal embedded into the front surface.

I also polished the trigger sear contact points and removed 2 coils from the trigger return spring.

After lubing and reassembling everything, the trigger is 1000% better, but the gun actually shoots even weaker - about 50fps slower regardless of the type of a pellet (that's after about 60 pellets)

I'm wondering if it would be possible that I removed too much metal from the compression tube, or perhaps it could have been dieseling that was causing higher velocity before I cleaned everything up?

I didn't put any tar on the spring and I have to say that the rifle is now more twangy. I'll have to experiment with that some more.

I'm going to order a new seal and see if that makes any difference.

I'm quite puzzled by the drop in fps after the lube, and if you have any ideas as to why, please share :)

J.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:38 pm 

Did you replace the piston seal? If not you should. The leading edge upon the seal is worn. The dis colouring is due to the oil residues becoming hot hence the smoking. The metal flakes dont help matters either.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:49 pm 

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm trying to figure out where to get a replacement seal. I'll update the thread once I put a new seal in.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:18 pm 

I believe a B18/19 seal fits the Stoeger X5 piston.
email Airgun Eric: info@scopesandammo.com
It sounds like the piston seal is pooched.
You should also check that your breech seal is good, and protruding slightly from the breech surface.

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:24 pm 

That is an extremely low powered springer to begin with.
Doubt you have much in the way of improvement available.

Walter...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:38 pm 

Update: I got a new piston seal - not the original stoeger thou. There was an improvement of about 20fps over the old seal. If I can find an original stoeger part for not too much money I'll probably get that in the next few weeks and do some additional testing.

Since I wasn't satisfied with the performance I decided to shorten the piston's latch rod - this procedure was described on another forum.

I chopped only about 10mm of the latch rod, and replicated the original latch shape using dremel and metal files. I wanted the rifle to remain non-pal - it seems that the full power version has the rod shorter by about 1 inch.

The whole thing took me about three hours.

Here are some results (measured after putting about 250 pellets through the gun):

H&N Pistol Match .177 wadcutters 7.56 gr - before new seal 362 fps, after new seal 388 fps, after the latch rod tune 489 fps (averages)

Crosman Pointed Hunting .177 7.4 gr - before new seal average of 389 fps, after the tune 473 fps. These are pretty inconsistent and vary from 455 fps to 483 fps.

Now I just need to get more pellets and learn how to shoot :D