Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:30 pm 

I received two new Ninja SHP Pro 13 CI / 3000 psi tank and regulator combos the other day, and just had the opportunity to examine them in detail.... The "SHP" designation means Super High Pressure, and the "Pro" designation indicates they have the new 360* rotation collar that allows you to orient the fill nipple and gauge wherever you want.... They are advertised as 1100 psi output, user adjustable down to 950 psi by the removal of three 0.004" shims, and come with an excellent instruction sheet.... The new bonnet has two O-rings to seal the ASA output.... You will require an 8-32 Allen wrench and a 2" long 8-32 screw to remove the bonnet to change the shims, and the 8-32 wrench also allows you to rotate the aluminum collar.... Note that this new regulator uses three 8-32 screws, rather than the two 10-32 screws of the earlier model, and further, the gauge and fill nipple are 180* apart rather than 90*, plus the gauge is a much smaller one.... The new regulator is 0.10" longer than the previous model without the 360* rotation adjustment, but still significantly shorter than a JDS regulator.... Here is what it looks like disassembled....

Before loosening any of the setscrews, to either rotate the collar to change the orientation, or to remove the bonnet, MAKE SURE THE TANK IS EMPTY.... Drain the tank completely until no more air comes out, and then double check by depressing the pin valve in the middle of the ASA output and make sure no air escapes.... To change the orientation, simply slack off the three setscrews in the aluminum collar and rotate the tank/regulator assembly to where you want it relative to the ASA output and then snug up the screws again.... The aluminum collar is retained on the regulator body by a coiled snap ring arrangement and is NOT designed to be user removable.... I would NOT remove the collar or disturb the retaining ring, as once pressurized that ring appear to be keeping the collar on the regulator body.... I did not disturb it to check, and I'm sure the setscrews add strength, but I wouldn't want to chance it....

To remove the bonnet, remove the three setscrews completely, insert the 2" long 8-32 screw to give you some leverage to unscrew the bonnet, and loosen it slightly.... Once you can turn it by hand, REMOVE THE 8-32 SCREW or you will damage the male thread on the aluminum collar when you unscrew the bonnet.... The pin valve will normally stay inside the bonnet, I removed it to show you what it looks like.... The return spring for it is inside the piston, and is easy to lose, so don't do that!.... The piston is an updated version, having a taper on the inlet end, and two O-rings on the outlet end.... However, it is dimensionally identical to the older model, and is interchangeable with it.... There were eleven 0.032" thick Belleville washers (disc springs) installed, and three 0.004" thick shims, arranged as follows:

||| ) () () () () ((

The two Bellevilles against the shoulder on the piston were black instead of silver, but measured the same thickness.... I do not know if they have the same spring rate, however.... According to Ninja, removing all three shims reduces the setpoint of the regulator to 950 psi from 1100.... When I tested the output pressure of the regulator (with two gauges) I got 1200-1230 psi.... The gauges both have 100 psi increments on a 270* scale, and agreed within 30 psi.... I also did some limited experimenting using the piston, shims and Bellevilles from the new SHP regulator in an old Ninja body I had, and found that the setpoint was higher at 1400 psi.... I also removed the three shims and substituted one more 0.032" (black) Belleville (for a total of 12) and in the old regulator body I got 1700 psi.... That would be too high for a 1.8K burst disc, you would likely blow the disc, especially if the tank warmed up after filling.... When I put that assembly into the SHP regulator, the pressure was 200 psi lower, and measured 1500-1530 psi (with my two gauges).... That is about maximum to not keep blowing the 1.8K burst disc, although it may still fail from fatigue, and I'm 99% sure Ninja would not approve of this modification.... The twelve 0.032" Bellevilles I used were oriented this way....

)) () () () () ((

No shims were used, and if anyone tries this, I would advise you to proceed slowly and with caution as if your particular regulator has slightly different tolerances, and/or if the 1.8K burst disc is on the low side of its tolerance range.... the disc is likely to fail and scare the heck out of you.... That just means it's doing it's job, but I can guarantee you, you will jump!.... NEVER change out the low side 1.8K burst disc for one of a higher rating, as the rotating aluminum collar attachment may be overstressed, and I wouldn't want to be near one if the bonnet/collar assembly blew off the end of the regulator body....

In summary, I really like the new Ninja SHP Pro Regulator.... It is nearly as compact as the older model, and the ability to rotate the gauge and fill fitting to clear the gun is a major plus.... The two I received were 1200 psi, not the 1100 advertised, but that actually pleases me.... Whether other ones would be the same as mine, as advertised, or even a lower pressure I don't know.... I purchased these to build a new QB79, and since the hammer spring on a QB is capable of handling about 1200 psi they should be ideal for that purpose.... Ninja, incidently, sell service kits for all their regulators....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:31 am 

Interesting.. What is that long screw for? I always wondered what it was for..?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:48 am 

The long screw is to be used for a tool to remove the bonnet.... You screw it into one of the setscrew holes until it touches the collar (or reg. body), then back it out 1/2 turn, and apply rotating force (CCW) to the bonnet to start it moving.... Once you can move it by hand, you remove the long screw completely because if you leave it in place, it will damage the male thread on the collar (or reg. body).... It simply allows you to unscrew the bonnet (and re-tighten it) without having to use pliers.... :mrgreen:

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:28 am 

Only thing you forgot, Bob was where the rest of us could get one or two of them!!! :D

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:15 am 

rsterne wrote:
The long screw is to be used for a tool to remove the bonnet.... You screw it into one of the setscrew holes until it touches the collar (or reg. body), then back it out 1/2 turn, and apply rotating force (CCW) to the bonnet to start it moving.... Once you can move it by hand, you remove the long screw completely because if you leave it in place, it will damage the male thread on the collar (or reg. body).... It simply allows you to unscrew the bonnet (and re-tighten it) without having to use pliers.... :mrgreen:

Bob

Oh I see.. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:16 am 

They should be available through any Ninja Dealer (such as scopesandammo.com ).... I don't know if Eric carries them in stock or if he would have to order them in.... You can probably get them on eBay too....

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:59 am 

I will remember to use that tool the next time I get a brand new HPA tank.. :wink: But to remove the regulator from the tank how would you go about doing that without using any vise grips? :mrgreen: I would assume they use padded rubber vises or maybe a rubber strap for the bottle and regulator..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:03 pm 

Kinetic_Genius wrote:
I will remember to use that tool the next time I get a brand new HPA tank.. :wink: But to remove the regulator from the tank how would you go about doing that without using any vise grips? :mrgreen: I would assume they use padded rubber vises or maybe a rubber strap for the bottle and regulator..

Channel Locks. That would be a good tool to add to your collection K/G.

Especially the ones Snap On sells.

Walter....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:10 pm 

Ahh - I've got a pipe wrench for 5" pipes, bites really well and runs down quite small - much quicker and improved leverage over channel, locks, Walter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:20 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Ahh - I've got a pipe wrench for 5" pipes, bites really well and runs down quite small - much quicker and improved leverage over channel, locks, Walter.

Basing my opinion on K/G's avatar that is too much tool for him :)

A 36" pipe wrench is a great tool when needed!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:02 pm 

In case K_G wants a serious answer, Ninja use a special tool machined from Delrin that fits over the gauge, fill nipple and burst discs and uses them (all) for leverage.... It's kind of like a soft socket designed not to damage anything.... The regulators are installed with loctite and are quite difficult to remove....

Custom fitted blocks of wood or plastic could work for the home mechanic....

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:21 pm 

rsterne wrote:
They should be available through any Ninja Dealer (such as scopesandammo.com ).... I don't know if Eric carries them in stock or if he would have to order them in.... You can probably get them on eBay too....

Bob

Can't find them in Canada Bob? Can I please have your Source?
Waiting for an answer from Eric.

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:12 am 

Voltar1 wrote:
Daryl wrote:

Basing my opinion on K/G's avatar that is too much tool for him :)

A 36" pipe wrench is a great tool when needed!!!

Oh Voltar..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zumiGPNp9_o

The guy kind of looks like the skeleton in jgoodz420 avatar.. lol

Image -> Image See the resemblance? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:16 am 

rsterne wrote:
In case K_G wants a serious answer, Ninja use a special tool machined from Delrin that fits over the gauge, fill nipple and burst discs and uses them (all) for leverage.... It's kind of like a soft socket designed not to damage anything.... The regulators are installed with loctite and are quite difficult to remove....

Custom fitted blocks of wood or plastic could work for the home mechanic....

Bob

I figure they did something link that, maybe someone here could make a mold out of plaster and then fill it with liquid plastic. I actually remove the fill nipple and screw in a long 1/8 " thread pipe for leverage, works just as good if you don't mind re-sealing the fill nipple with teflon.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:01 am 

IS this the regulator Bob?
http://www.paintballgear.ca/product/Ninja_High_Pressure_Regulator.html

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22