Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:34 pm 

I cast my own .357 pellets for my Shinsung 201. I use a Lee .358 mold and then I run them through a .357 sizer and they come out approx. at .3565 which I have found through vigorous testing to be the best pellet for this gun. I believe the sprue left on the bullet would surley effect accuracy at a distance. I think centrifical force puts the pellet out of balance while spinning in flight. I call these pellets dirty.
My nephew made this machine for me.

Dirty pellets

Everyone has sprues and streached lead form resizing:

Here is my solution. 80 grit stick it

Dirty pellet goes in one of two holes.

Here is a clean squared pellet. Only takes three or four twists of the handle. Turning it all in one direction or back and forth gives the same results. I take off about five thousands. Takes about four seconds to square 1 or 2 pellets.

Push out pellet from behind with a small nail.

Close up

Diamond in the rough
Nice ! I do not have anything on paper to prove to you but there is a major change in accuracy with these squared pellets. It's obvious that they release off the crown much superior.

One clean one dirty

Diana 350 Magnum 22 cal
EunJin Sumatra 22 cal 500cc
AirArms 410 22 cal
Telly .177
BSA Mercury 177 cal
Salavia 618
Shinsung 201 9mm
AirArms Tx200 .22 cal
Diana 54 Airking .22 cal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:06 am 

Might shoot even better with a second pass over some finer grit ?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:43 am 

Well thought out, interesting solutions and some observations if I may.

The variously 'ground' bullets will have variable weight which will not help your accuracy. From the looks of your 'pellets' you actually might have better results with more pure lead with a bit of tin added and some more practice at casting. The granular nature of the sprue cuttoffs shows some antimony in the lead. The inclusion of antimony usually means casting temperatures need to somewhat higher to form perfect bullets.

Waiting a bit longer before swinging the sprue plate aside, pushing the sprue plate down against the top of the mould while opening it, using a heavy leather glove to open the plate rather than an impact tool like a stick or hammer handle might even up the sprues so they are cut nicely, instead of torn and give you much better castings around the periphery.

Your bullets that have been ground, now have a flashing around the 'trailing' edge that needs or should be removed - evenly, or it will simply be pushed off the base edge and cause imbalance, just as the as-cast bullet have a flashing.

Lead temperature, mould temperature, casting rhythm and experience will help to produce shootable pellets/bullets as-cast.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:32 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Well thought out, interesting solutions and some observations if I may.

The variously 'ground' bullets will have variable weight which will not help your accuracy. From the looks of your 'pellets' you actually might have better results with more pure lead with a bit of tin added and some more practice at casting. The granular nature of the sprue cuttoffs shows some antimony in the lead. The inclusion of antimony usually means casting temperatures need to somewhat higher to form perfect bullets.

Waiting a bit longer before swinging the sprue plate aside, pushing the sprue plate down against the top of the mould while opening it, using a heavy leather glove to open the plate rather than an impact tool like a stick or hammer handle might even up the sprues so they are cut nicely, instead of torn and give you much better castings around the periphery.

Your bullets that have been ground, now have a flashing around the 'trailing' edge that needs or should be removed - evenly, or it will simply be pushed off the base edge and cause imbalance, just as the as-cast bullet have a flashing.

Lead temperature, mould temperature, casting rhythm and experience will help to produce shootable pellets/bullets as-cast.

Observations welcomed ! Thanks Daryl
As for the variable weight, well I do plan on weighing and sorting.
What do you mean by flashing ? Is that the same as a bevelled edge ?
And yes I believe this lead does have too much antimony because my last batch of lead didn;t tear like this does.
And this mold I was using was on it's last legs because the screw finally fell out. So time for a new one.
This lead still passes the scratch test.
Good to hear from experience !

Diana 350 Magnum 22 cal
EunJin Sumatra 22 cal 500cc
AirArms 410 22 cal
Telly .177
BSA Mercury 177 cal
Salavia 618
Shinsung 201 9mm
AirArms Tx200 .22 cal
Diana 54 Airking .22 cal