Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:08 pm 

I need to cut a thread in some chrome moly tubing for a Discovery fill plug ( 13/16-28 tpi thread). I have looked all over, but cant find a tap drill size.
Can someone help out please?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:14 pm 

http://theoreticalmachinist.com/Threads ... erial.aspx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:34 am 

Typically threads this size are single pointed on the lathe not tapped. You can do it of course, I know Joe at HPA (muzzleMack) has this tap. But it takes a manly set of arms. :)
I made one more for chasing out damaged threads on crosman tubes. They are available here for purchase

http://www.victornet.com/tools/Special- ... s/199.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:44 pm 

bore size is .778 this is for 75% thread which is standard for tapping

Jim

Crosman 2240 stubby
Crosman 116
Crosman Vigilante
Crosman shiloh
Daisy 1140
Beeman p17
ruger mark 1
hatsan supercharger 25 in .22
Crosman 2260
Crosman AS2250
Winchester M14

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:09 pm 

Tap Drill Size =

Basic Major Diameter of Thread - ((.0130 x % of Full Thread) ÷ Threads Per Inch)

Example: To Find the Tap Drill Size for a 1/4-20 Tap with 75% Thread:

Drill Size = .250 - ((.0130 x 75) ÷ 20) = .201” = #7 Drill

So...For you

.8125"-((.013x75)/28) = .7777" or 25/32" drill, leaving about .016" of thread p/side (or a 19/50" will leave you with about .022" p/side, but that might be a bit much). I would bore to .777" and start the tap on a lathe, put the lathe in neutral and use the chuck key as leverage to turn the head allowing the tail stock to slide forward as threads engage/cut or have someone slowly turn the drill chuck (that is holding the tap) forward against the tube as you turn the head...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:13 pm 

Thanks fella's some great info and links there. 8)

Sorry for bone questions, but when turning down stock to cut a thread with a die......what is the rule in this case?

Do I turn it down to its major diameter to be correct before cutting?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:45 pm 

You will not be able to grip the tube in a lathe chuck for tapping that large/heavy.

single point it if you already have the lathe.

Walter...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:34 pm 

I am a complete newbe when it comes to lathes.....just getting the hang of the basics! To cut a thread using it, quite a way of as yet :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:43 pm 

what are you building?
what tools do you possess?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:10 pm 

Threading is quite easy once you understand the basics

Tubalcain (MrPete222) does an amazing series of machine shop instructional videos

Here a link to the index. If you watch the series on threading you should be up and running.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthre ... (MrPete222)-videos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:18 pm 

lanky94 wrote:

Sorry for bone questions, but when turning down stock to cut a thread with a die......what is the rule in this case?

It largely depends on the quality of your dies but if you turn your stock to 1 or 2 thou under the major diameter you should have no trouble. Don't forget to put a decent taper at end(<minor diameter) to start the die

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:24 pm 

SMP wrote:
lanky94 wrote:

It largely depends on the quality of your dies but if you turn your stock to 1 or 2 thou under the major diameter you should have no trouble. Don't forget to put a decent taper at end(<minor diameter) to start the die

Thanks Shaun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:34 pm 

If you want to thread a chrome moly tube for a 13/16''x 28tpi the tds is 49/64''. This fits the Disco fill assembly very well. If you can;t thread this on the lathe the tap works very well. I have threaded a couple dozen with a tap and they work just fine. I find this method easier then trying to make internal threads using a boring bar. I just chuck the tube in a 3 jaw and lock the tap in a chuck in the tailstock. I start the tap into the tube by hand then remove the tube and lock it in a vise between 2 hardwood blocks with a 3/4'' hole into the 2 pieces of hardwood. Clamp the tube in a big vise use lots of cutting oil and a big tap wrench and go to it. Works like a charm .

George.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:02 am 

SMP wrote:
lanky94 wrote:

Hehe! I use an M24!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:00 am 

magnumair wrote:
If you want to thread a chrome moly tube for a 13/16''x 28tpi the tds is 49/64''. This fits the Disco fill assembly very well. If you can;t thread this on the lathe the tap works very well. I have threaded a couple dozen with a tap and they work just fine. I find this method easier then trying to make internal threads using a boring bar. I just chuck the tube in a 3 jaw and lock the tap in a chuck in the tailstock. I start the tap into the tube by hand then remove the tube and lock it in a vise between 2 hardwood blocks with a 3/4'' hole into the 2 pieces of hardwood. Clamp the tube in a big vise use lots of cutting oil and a big tap wrench and go to it. Works like a charm .

George.

X2

Like I said in my earlier post. Cant see why this wouldnt work...