Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:43 am 

Hey all, I was looking around and thought a red dot sight would be cool for my phantom? I believe the phantom is a dovetail mount? And came across the Tasco 30mm Red Dot Sight, Dovetail Mount. I'ts within my budget ATM but was wondering if it needs anything extra to mount, if its worth it and pros and cons. Extra info is I plan on target shooting for practice and small game hunting. I was wondering if it'll help me or make things worse? Thanks again

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:50 am 

nothing needed! I have one for five years now, no issues!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:28 am 

Alright, sorry I may be misunderstanding, but as in nothing needed to attach the tasco red dot? Thanks a lot for your input!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:51 am 

M3ga3T wrote:
Alright, sorry I may be misunderstanding, but as in nothing needed to attach the tasco red dot? Thanks a lot for your input!

Just clamp it on and shoot!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:20 am 

I like red dots on my pistols but prefer scopes on my rifles. I have trouble seeing the dot on bright sunny days but I am looking through 70 year old eyes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:34 am 

Plasticman wrote:
I like red dots on my pistols but prefer scopes on my rifles. I have trouble seeing the dot on bright sunny days but I am looking through 70 year old eyes.

With eyes just about as experienced as PM's, I must agree he raises a good point. Don't know how experienced you are, but Red Dots are not for precision sighting; they are quick-acquisition devices. I now own five of them for pistols, and I can attest to their greatness in improving handgun accuracy. However, if you want to practice accuracy and measure group placements with coins, get yourself a decent scope. That's where I'll bow out. I have no rifles {yet), but I do have three carbines (pistol mods) that came with scopes, one of which I believe was in the $200 range. I can tell you that from my previous airgun days that did include scopes (no red dots then), that a scope will tear you a much smaller hole, while a red dot will get you on the paper quicker. I'll leave it to those who have actually researched and used scopes recently to make recommendations.

$0.00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:25 am 

The Tasco 30mm Red Dot is available with dovetail & Weaver mounts so an adapter isn't required.

IMO the Tasco Red Dot is a bit large. I would prefer a Red Dot with a small diameter tube like a Walther but then you might need an adapter to go from dovetail & Weaver.

Have you considered a Reflex Sight on you Phantom?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:57 pm 

No I haven't, I do have a Bushnell scope from a .22 rifle that was my Dad's though. Think that'll work for my airgun? I would also need to do some research on how to zero it. I believe it's a dovetail as it just clamps on with a couple screws? Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:37 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

M3ga3T wrote:
I do have a Bushnell scope from a .22 rifle that was my Dad's though. Think that'll work for my airgun?

Depends on the age of the scope- if it's over 10-15 years old, it will break internally on an airgun, if newer, should be fine.

Please note: I do not conduct business through Private Messages (PM's) in online forums. Please do not send a 'PM" with a business-related question.