Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Crosman Phantom .22 mods
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:59 pm 

Triggers, barrels, sights etc? Also if you have customized the airgun and have pics, please share them or let me know if it's already in the gallery forum, thanks! p.s I know this gun isn't used as much but it's the one I'm devoted to and once I study for my PAL will upgrade it to 1000 kit. I don't know what PCP rifles are and don't really like the idea of Co2 because of their need to always have Co2. So either break barrel or pump for me. Can someone also explain what nitro pistons are? Is it similar to Co2 guns that always need some sort of fuel to shoot? If not, I've seen I think the Nitro Venom kits and are they compatible with the Phantom .22? Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:21 am 

upgradin a phantom 500 .22 to pal ..... :shock:

don't expect more than around 700 fps :roll:

around 50$ for a piston ans spring kit and 80 $ for nitro piston kit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:56 am 

Nitro piston is basically a gas spring (like shocks in your car) instead of metal spring, less jumpy when fired, and no fatigue if left cocked for a few hours.

You'll need the retrofit kit instead of the nitro venom repair kit, since some hardware is also different, think it's $5 more. If you are handy you can also buy the gas spring by itself and modify the rest.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:04 pm 

Ok thanks for the info, also I came across a .22 cleaning kit that has 'Ultra-Klenz and Ultra-Lube' a .22 cleaning rod kit with the soft brush tip and a brass (?) tip, a box cleaning patches plus a tip with like a kind of long gap at the tip, any ideas what this is for, looks like to insert something? Would it be safe to use any of this .22 cleaning kit for my crosman phantom .22? Gunslick is the maker of this BTW. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:54 pm 

M3ga3T wrote:
Ok thanks for the info, also I came across a .22 cleaning kit that has 'Ultra-Klenz and Ultra-Lube' a .22 cleaning rod kit with the soft brush tip and a brass (?) tip, a box cleaning patches plus a tip with like a kind of long gap at the tip, any ideas what this is for, looks like to insert something? Would it be safe to use any of this .22 cleaning kit for my crosman phantom .22? Gunslick is the maker of this BTW. Thanks again!

I believe the tip with the gap you are asking about is the one you use for pulling the patches through. Others may be of more help as I made my own cleaning kit. I use a nylon line, used for ice fishing tip-ups, twisted it with a cordless drill, and use a wooden dowel as the handle. Much safer for the rifling, PITA feeding it down the barrel sometimes, usually before the first patch, after that it feeds in pretty slick.

Crosman 2240

"Boredom sets into the boring mind." - James Hetfield

- Derek

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:10 pm 

The tip with the slot is for putting a folded up patch in and pulling it through. With the small bores, make certain you don't bunch it up too much. Sometimes the patches need to be cut in half.

P.S. I rarely use the slotted tip when cleaning any of my guns.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:50 pm 

I use a 20 lb fishing line with a loop tied at one end, feed it through and pull a patch. There's no need to clean airgun barrel often so a dedicated cleaning kit is unnecessary.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:40 pm 

Sweet, thanks guys!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:25 pm 

Current Phantoms have a bleed hole in the piston. Plug that and its PAL rated.
Best mod hands down other than a N.P. would be a new trigger.
http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... more-p-242

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:17 am 

Yea I've cleaned and lubricated it to the best of my abilities (first time ever). But the trigger mod seems quite necessary! It's quite the pull before firing. So I've tried adjusting it's second stage release? Hopefully that helps until I can get a new trigger! Thanks guys for the replies!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:46 pm 

did anyone tried to remove some weight from the piston :?: would it make a noticeable difference :?:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:04 pm 

It will favour a lighter pellet if you do....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:37 pm 

ktmrider wrote:
did anyone tried to remove some weight from the piston :?: would it make a noticeable difference :?:

They top out around 720 fps due to the cylinder volume.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:10 am 

mine is already shooting 700fps ( with crosman hp 14.3gr) so not worth the trouble

Thank's

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:38 am 

Or use weed wacker mono line ,melt one end with a lighter and slip patch down the cord.