Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: HPA QB78
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:03 pm 

I was looking at this adapter and was wondering if it fits directly on without any mods? http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... -cap-p-832 i was thinking of using a T fitting and mounting an air pressure gauge on one side and a quick connect on the other, and how many psi max should i fill it to?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: HPA QB78
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:48 pm 

That adapter is designed for CO2 but will work with HPA providing you don't use too high a pressure.... On a QB78 I wouldn't use more than about 1200 psi without taking the gun apart and making sure the valve is sitting up tight against the steel backing block and shimming it if necessary.... Once you know that all three screws are sharing the load properly, you can use about 1600 psi safely.... However, going past 1200 may require you to shim the hammer spring preload or the velocity will decrease above 1200 psi....

If you use a "T" fitting, make sure you get one intended for hydraulics, don't use one made for gas lines or plumbing, they are not intended for the pressures involved in HPA.... You don't strictly need a gauge on the gun, provided you have one on your pump or tank you are filling from, you can use that to fill your gun to your working pressure.... Eric can supply you with the proper male QD fitting to connect to your pump or tank.... and also the fill station to work with a SCUBA tank is that is what you decide to use.... You will have to be careful not to overfill from a SCUBA tank as they run at 3000 psi, and you DON'T want that much pressure in your gun....

I don't know what you are expecting for shot count from a QB78 running on HPA, or for velocity, but right off the bat, it will be PAL rated unless you detune it.... I got the following combinations of velocity and shot count, using 14.3 gr. pellets, filling to about 1300-1500 psi, depending on the modifications I made (stock hammer spring preload)....

23 shots at 590 fps.... 13 shots at 690 fps.... 5 shots at 820 fps.... shots within 4% ES (velocity range)....
34 shots at 580 fps.... 18 shots at 680 fps.... 9 shots at 810 fps.... counting all shots with 10% ES (1400-1600 psi fill)....

As you can see, the shot count drops drastically as soon as you modify the gun for more power.... Using a 10% ES is only good for shooting at less than 25 yards, a 4% ES is good to about 50 yards before the POI changes too much....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:57 pm 

alright then ill drop the idea from my head :P seem a bit to much of work for not much

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:57 pm 

patfraser3 wrote:
alright then ill drop the idea from my head :P seem a bit to much of work for not much

Yes you should for on the DARKSIDE we have cookies...he he he... Sorry couldn't resist...

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:45 pm 

He White Wolf all I got was coffee. You must have eaten the cookies.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:57 pm 

Plasticman wrote:
He White Wolf all I got was coffee. You must have eaten the cookies.

everything is gone i dont drink coffee so i gave it to you, but he robbed my cookies so i couldnt give them out...