Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:44 pm 

Well after a few days of scope adjusting I sighted in at 77.3 feet and I am impressed with the accuracy of this thing. IDK if its me (probably), my ghetto gun rest (moves on me everytime), or Stoeger precision pellets. I'm thinking all three though! But my groups are all over the paper. There are really good groups though, like just maybe a quarter (tad bit more sometimes), but after one group, Phantom and I, decide too move the group over but now that I think about its more likely me :roll: I believe a better gun rest would do wonders for me. Highlights of shooting so far at 77.3 feet: beer cap second shot, really good group (my best at said disance) on 1.5" circle target, shot cap off a liquor bottle. I'm proud of what my Phantom has done so far!
Also, on sighting in at 77 feet, why are my shots way off at close range? I don't think it matters too much because I have see thru mounts and need a scope for "longer" ranges, but just curious? Should I have sighted in at say 10m, THEN 20m to the 24ish meters I'm at now? OR does it have to be like 10m to 20m and so on? I have a Simmons 3-9 32mm 22 Mag AO. Thanks for reading!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:49 am 

Just wondering, are you holding the rifle exactly straight up and down?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:15 am 

Stoeger pellet,s. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:39 am 

Thanks for replies! and no. I'm not sure on proper hold. I have my left hand under butt of rifle. Do I hold rifle somewhere else? And yeah Stoeger pellets is all I have... local shop only carries those.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:19 am 

Every person has to try a hold that suits them but a springer needs to be held so it can move the same every shot and don't try to keep it from moving. Some people like to have the non trigger hand under the rifle ahead of the trigger guard, how far forward you will find after about 1000 shots. The forward hand should steady the rifle even if you are using a bench rest but only hold the rifle very lightly so the rifle can move where it wants, when I say your hand should be under the rifle the hand should rest on your bench rest with the rifle sitting loosely in your hand. The barrel should never sit on a rest.
Other people may say how they prefer to hold a rifle.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:29 am 

Wow never knew that! I'll be sure to try it today! Thanks for the heads up!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:36 am 

Just an update fellas.. I sighted in at 20m now. Got more pellets, going to learn my stoeger/phantom/scope from top to bottom. I'm getting toonie sized groups at that range and am pretty impressed with myself :D But like I said before I'm into shooting novelty (?) targets and set up an empty spray paint can at 122ft. Didn't measure until after I made it because that was really far for me. Anyways I hit it first try and was stoked! Nice little pop too from the can! So I took it up a notch andset up the lid from that can. Took me 5 tries but got it finally 8) and was super pumped on that! Also worth mentioning... I searched around and seen people deburr their rifle with sand paper. So I got a variety pack, and made a little dowel. Deburred, cleaned, and lubed my phantom up. I'm excited to see how it is tomorrow! Another thing I'm kinda happy with is, spray paint camouflaged my (operational) airgun. I couldnt find the matte clear coat but seen that satin isn't super shiny (I hope). But then again, as long as it isn't totally glossy I'll be okay with it. If I don't like it tomorrow, letting it sit overnight, I'll sand it down and try again. I tried for a woodland tiger stripe-ish look. I'll put a couple pics up tomorrow. Thanks for reading!