Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:09 pm 

The last few days have been dedicated to springer shooting, namely the Diana 34. I was trying different hold,s and rest,s. The military hold which is routinely recommended for springer,s is too uncomfortable for me because of nerve damage in my upper arms and shoulders. putting my palm up hurt,s. And because of a stronger than average heart beat, I find holding the gun on one bag, is hard to steady and find myself pulling the trigger between heart beat,s. So today I tried a two bag full rest. The group,s were inconsistent. The bag,s seemed to restrict the movement of the gun. Then I remembered that the reason for the military hold was to allow the gun to move with the recoil. the bag,s were stopping the gun from moving because they were like gripping with a leather glove. So I thought what I need is something slippery for the gun to rest on, and discovered a simple piece of copy paper allowed the gun to slide back and forth very smoothly.
The group,s tightened to less than an inch at 50 mtr,s. I only had a chance to try a couple of 5 shot groups because the wind was getting pretty high. I know there are a lot of springer shooters out there that are frustrated with bag shooting not producing the groups they know their gun,s are capable of. Please try this simple test either with one bag or two and post your result,s. Springer,s only please.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:23 pm 

Very interesting Joe and good to see you're experimenting with different approaches. Most of my shooting is free standing, not sure if that's the correct term, but I try to employ the artillery hold in a standing position with being very relaxed, always making sure I have the same hold and hand positions and following through and letting the shot happen.

I was first puzzled by the artillery hold as I was sure that if you let the gun "do it's thing" it would just shoot wild but after trying it and now practicing it every time, I've noticed my shots have been improving.

I know my shooting style doesn't quite fit in with what you're talking about but I enjoy the conversation and hope to try out some other styles in time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:15 pm 

Joe -for use on leather bags, the benchrest shooters I used to play with back in the 70's, always coated their bench "leather bags" with baby powder. I still do this when serious about shooting groups - and that is with powder burners. Try resting the rear bag just ahead of the trigger guard.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:18 pm 

That's a practical solution to shooting on a rest. I've tried all kinds of "things" to give my springers the chance to move and recoil as they need. I've tried sponges, paint rollers, and even a rest made from three pieces of kids' swimming noodles taped together (these are the about 4 - 5 feet long, 3 - 5 inches thick plastic, spongy, colourful things that float). Although I wouldn't begrudge anyone using such shooting aids, I found these things a little too "gimmicky," that I couldn't imagine seeing them used by veteran shooters in a serious competition. What I always went back to was using a Stoney Pointe brand standard front bag ($14.99 at a local shop) with a hand towel folded in quarters on top. Over this I use a microfibre cleaning towel on top. It is very smooth and allows the rifles to recoil freely. I'm not sure this is the best set up I can have, but it's the one that has worked best for me up to now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:58 am 

I guess what I'm asking is for some member,s to try the paper on the bag rest thing and give us an opinion. Then if it,s not as good as what you currently use, tell us what work,s for you.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:45 pm 

joe hickey wrote:
I guess what I'm asking is for some member,s to try the paper on the bag rest thing and give us an opinion. Then if it,s not as good as what you currently use, tell us what work,s for you.

I have a diana 45 and recently published and article on the topic of the Artillery hold:

topic57193.html

I tried your system and it seems to work better
great idea

diana 20
diana 5g air psitol
rws diana panther
bsa scorpion air pistol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:05 pm 

Thats how I shoot my Benjamin with two bags. The table I use for shooting is made of some kind of hard plastic and let the bags move with the shot. I’ll try with paper under my bags and let you know how it goes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:03 am 

[quote="pogo"]Thats how I shoot my Benjamin with two bags. The table I use for shooting is made of some kind of hard plastic and let the bags move with the shot. I’ll try with paper under my bags and let you know how it goes.

Image[/quote
]
Not under the bag,s. between the bag,s and the gun.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:50 am 

Yes thank you ! I'll have a shot at this set up this morning after breakfast and chatting with wify :) it's only 9h52 and the benjy is a little loud.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:30 pm 

It as not worked good for me. I tried paper Under front bag and it was to slippery I think, my gun was jumping right and left. It's funny as my benjy likes a firm grip at front and almost at the end of the front stock and firmly rested again my shoulder. Thats the way I have the best groups with it.