Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:39 pm 

hi all

been disassembling and re-assembling this Winchester 500x i have, the first time was just to clean it up, after testing it, i determined that i put too much molly as it was spitting it out in the barrel, teared it down a few times to only get very low velocity shooting that would see its pellets drop to the ground at 80 feet, the velocity would also vary, you could see it with the naked eye, then i decided to try to tune it, evened out the top of the piston with JB weld and sanded to a somewhat smooth surface(best i could), then added a dime behind the piston to stop that wobble, re-lubed and assembled it back together, it now throws 1 high velocity pellet, a low velocity one, then a complete failure to get the pellet out of the rifle, and that same cycle goes on and on, i'm either not doing the job right, or the spring/piston is no good, i noted the following;

1-used molly sparingly, but added generous amount of chamber oil
2-after the piston filling job, the piston is much tighter in the cylinder
3-this last reassembly resulted as ones before, a high velocity, followed by lower one, followed by a fail, then cycle starts over

any tips, anyone ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:11 pm 

i never touched mine and did the same thing as yours... sometimes took me 2 shots to get the pellet out of the barell, i threw it away and kept de scope (mine was a 500xs) and bought a qb78 and im loving it!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:21 pm 

robipaul wrote:
hi all

been disassembling and re-assembling this Winchester 500x i have, the first time was just to clean it up, after testing it, i determined that i put too much molly as it was spitting it out in the barrel, teared it down a few times to only get very low velocity shooting that would see its pellets drop to the ground at 80 feet, the velocity would also vary, you could see it with the naked eye, then i decided to try to tune it, evened out the top of the piston with JB weld and sanded to a somewhat smooth surface(best i could), then added a dime behind the piston to stop that wobble, re-lubed and assembled it back together, it now throws 1 high velocity pellet, a low velocity one, then a complete failure to get the pellet out of the rifle, and that same cycle goes on and on, i'm either not doing the job right, or the spring/piston is no good, i noted the following;

1-used molly sparingly, but added generous amount of chamber oil
2-after the piston filling job, the piston is much tighter in the cylinder
3-this last reassembly resulted as ones before, a high velocity, followed by lower one, followed by a fail, then cycle starts over

any tips, anyone ?

Clean out the oil. Why did you do that anyways?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:28 pm 

hi Walter

thought that would loosen the piston slide as it seem to be tight, but movable

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:36 pm 

Tear it down, clean all oils and grease
Confirm the JB weld is not causing issues.
Get the piston seal fit to be just positive for a good seal. Do what you have to removing JBs until a good fit is achieved.
Reassemble and forget the oil. Light smear of moly grease behind seal and at rear of piston.

Possibly light grease on spring.

Set breech pivot so the barrel will park anywhere in the stroke after the gun is cocked.

See what that gets you. These little rifles should do 500ish with 7.9 grain pellets and consistantly.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:04 pm 

Well......wasn't that a load of fun !!!

tore her down, cleaned her up, dremeled the piston edge just enough to get a positive seal(thanks Walter) and have the piston moving freely with my fingers, and not a pair of pliers !

barely put a bit of molly on the piston's edge, i also added a washer between the main spring and the back spring guide as i caught theses two parts sticking together, this happened as the spring would go over a little skirt on the guide, put her back together, and now........she fires high velocity shots every time, i must have shot 50 pellets just to make sure !

in all, i must have tore her down 15 times, could do it with my eyes closed if i wanted to

she's way faster then when i first got her a couple of weeks ago

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:27 am 

Wow, you needed pliers to move the piston, no wonder if did not fire properly.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:28 am 

that's the thing about air guns, there doesn't seem to be complete and comprehensive tutorial on how to do these things, so you learn as you go, bought this second hand Winchester because of the nice scope and not for its performance, it was weak from the start, so the rifle was just a bonus, it wasn't critical that i get it to work, so i didn't mind practicing on it.

so i'm getting my knowledge from trial and error, and mostly, from you guys experience

this morning, i'll complete the assembly and scope it, see what kind on accuracy and consistency i get out of it

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:40 am 

Your collection looks like a Walmart or Canadian tire catalog.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:22 am 

lol, it does doesn't it

its funny, but at the same time, its very sad, at the moment, CT has the most choices around here, and i think most of them would have to be ordered, i bought the M4 from them, they received it that same morning, and it was the only one they had !

There is a local gun shop, and i did buy the Raven and the MP40 from him, he has one or two good rifle(PAL rated), but he seems to randomly have a bulk of cheap rifles or pistols, he clears them up, and then brings in another model in, last week he had some Stoeger X3's.

New Brunswick is not Airgun enthusiast friendly in my opinion, not up north anyway

if you get to see serious air rifles in my collection, it won't be bought from around here, and that's not by choice