Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:35 pm 

No pix, just dropping some numbers for discussion and requesting some hints on where to go with this.

Gun is unported valve with light spring running 24" barrel and poly transfer. Hammer spring is the 3k hipac.

Numbers:

500 psi fill
------------

1000 psi fill
-------------
err dammit
err dammit

1500 psi fill
--------------

All were 14.3gr CHP
I did oval the barrel port with a diamond dremel bit, but it was unscientific and not much was removed. More of a polish and deburr.

I know much more is possible with a 24" barrel, so invite some direction on the best next step here.
I have a bottleneck and cannot (will not) shoot higher pressures until I replace the stock poppet or I may get all leaky with no replacement.

comments welcomed.

Last edited by blarg on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:49 pm 

Remember that a 2240 is still a pistol, even if you put a 24" barrel on it and should NOT EXCEED 500FPS. Just a friendly warning! Buy a 2260 tube and you'll be fine! That was a rifle. Eric @ scopes and ammo has them.

Looks like you are having fun! Using a pump to fill the Hi-Pac?

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:56 pm 

Thank you for the rapid warning. Really.
It was a 2260 tube (with bluing worn off from use years gone by), but as internals are the same and most mods are 2240 based, I was shooting for the most eyeballs reading.
I have PAL, safe range with overshoot, wear safety glasses and kevlar... etc...

For what it's worth, if you shoot a 2240 over 500fps an RPAL will be little legal comfort as you have not registered that handgun (reclassified) and you have no ATT to transport it, even if you take it to the range. Booked Danno.

I managed to score a teledyne booster at a yard sale!
Pump schump. For 20$ even! (add $$ for fittings... but worthy)
I don't have the storage to use it's potential, but C02 is still an option which I do feel good about.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:07 pm 

Glad you know all the ramifications! Some new guys don't read the "Stickies" in this particular forum before modding that particular pistol!

I am sure others more qualified will help you go higher and faster. I am still in the CO2 phase with 22XX's. i do trigger jobs and make nice RVA's and muzzle brakes and custom barrel bands!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:28 pm 

Trigger work improved my groups by the largest margin and made me start reaching out further, even at low fps.
Ok, sandbag comes first, but so much can be done with some fine paper and a little time everyone should do it.
BTW a spent 22lr cartridge fits nicely into the top of the trigger spring, making a smoother pull as it provides a flat bearing surface to the sear.
If your base gun comes from the eighties, you might wanna sand off the friggin paint they put on the hammer/sear face... (wtf were they thinking).
Get the "sand" and creep out and you'll love your gun even more, and actually see it's potential.

You don't need 800fps to reach out to 100yd, but it does shorten the wait for metal target responses.
8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:05 pm 

Yup, I have made sear spring guides of brass and nylon resembling empty .22 casings. Also made the same for the hammer spring too! Keeps it nice and straight and not binding, which can cause erratic velocity changes! Look at some of rsterne's work here on CAF about hammer springs and valve springs! The guy is a wizard! The pictures I have seen of him makes me think he is!!!!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22