Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: 1377 Question
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:42 pm 

I don't know what fps these shoot at out of the box but i was wondering if i put the flat top piston in it will it put me over the 500 fps mark.Has anyone done this upgrade and cronied the results?I would like a little more pop but don't want to go over the limit. I will also be upgrading the breach and sights.

Post subject: Re: 1377 Question
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:54 pm 

It will go over the limit at over 10 pumps with an FTP.... a stock one won't....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

Post subject: 1377 Question
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:57 pm 

I don't believe the flat top piston kit will put your 1377 over the 500 fps limit. The purpose of the kit is to lessen the number of pumps required for max pressure. Typically the max pumps is ten without the kit, maybe six after its installed.
I have that kit but simply haven't gotten around to installing it. Plus i find it's tiring to pump an air gun so much per shot.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:10 pm 

rsterne wrote:
It will go over the limit at over 10 pumps with an FTP.... a stock one won't....

Bob

X2 :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:59 am 

Well that kinda sucks but i'm glad i asked before i went and did it.
Thanks guys

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:29 am 

You could always get a .22 barrel for it and be under the 500fps limit with some of the heavier pellets.

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:25 pm 

I have a 1377 that I changed to a .22 cal. I also opened the transfer port and plugged the valve. It is under 500fps with standard Crosman pellets. That is verified, confirmed numbers through my Shooting Chrony. I can double check the exact numbers tomorrow, but it was in the 475fps range if I remember correctly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:46 pm 

Thanks guys.I haven't decided what to do yet.I have been pricing parts and looking at videos.
It's around $200.00 for the upgrades so i am trying to decide if i should do it or put the money towards a better gun.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:04 pm 

I think what people miss here is that there is no "standard pellet" for a gun you have modified.... If you get into a situation where the police want to measure the velocity of your gun, an argument can be made (in court) that they can use any pellet, and any number of pumps to take a velocity measurement.... Just because a .22 cal. gun shoots 495 fps with an 18 gr. pellet, that doesn't mean it's non-PAL, even if that is the only pellet weight you have in your possession when the gun is seized for testing.... Likewise, because you CHOOSE to only pump a gun six times doesn't mean the RCMP can't test it at 10 pumps (or 20, or 50 for that matter, IMO)....

The law states if it is over 500 fps AND over 4.2 FPE it is a Firearm.... The 4.2 FPE limit WILL BE EXCEEDED at 500 fps for ANY pellet weight over 7.8 gr., so for any pellet heavier than that, the only limit that makes a difference to whether a gun is non-PAL is the velocity.... For unaltered airguns, the manufacturers velocity rating is the one used however, and they (the manufacturer) get to choose the pellet weight they use.... IMO, if we modify an airgun after purchase, we don't have that option, and the RCMP can test the velocity with whatever pellet they choose.... While this is only my opinion, I have never seen anything that would lead me to a different conclusion.... In order to be 100% safe, if you modify a non-PAL airgun and want it to remain non-PAL.... you would only be safe in your assumption if you test it with the lightest pellet available, for any caliber larger than .177 (ie any caliber where the lightest pellet available is greater than 7.8 gr.)....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:32 pm 

I don't want to take the chance of being over the limit.I am going to look at some other guns first.
Any suggestions on a pistol.Something that is not co2 or a multi pumper,overlever maybe,around $200.00 that has a high fps right out of the box

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:26 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Cut the hammer spring sufficiently so that the gun cannot go over 500fps in a 'reasonable' number of pumps- i.e. if Crosman says in the manual not to exceed 10 pumps or "damage" could result- make sure you cut the spring to be sure at 10 pumps it is below 500fps.

Please note: I do not conduct business through Private Messages (PM's) in online forums. Please do not send a 'PM" with a business-related question.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:33 pm 

twister wrote:
I don't want to take the chance of being over the limit.I am going to look at some other guns first.
Any suggestions on a pistol.Something that is not co2 or a multi pumper,overlever maybe,around $200.00 that has a high fps right out of the box

Beeman P-17 8)
Best $40 you ever spent :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:39 pm 

Ace wrote:
twister wrote:

Beeman P-17 8)
Best $40 you ever spent :wink:

I got one and fixed all the kinks from the factory and it works great.
I still might buy another one.
Actually i think i am going to wait to do anything with the 1377 and with winter coming and the lack of shooting areas there is no need right now to buy a quality gun that is just going to sit around.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:42 pm 

You need to plug the valve and then redrill a VERY tiny hole back in.My 1377 won't shoot OVER 498.8 no matter how many pumps.In fact at 15 pumps it sometimes shoots LESS than 498.8 so I pump it to 12 and it always maxes out no higher than that..I have OTHER mods in the gun though to achieve this.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:02 pm 

the back of the valve has the bleed hole.

the front of the valve is where the FTP is different.

if you get the FTP and swap the back of the valve for the back of the valve you already have, you will not increase the guns ability at all, you will just decrease the number of pumps required, and increase the stress on the pump linkage.