Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:29 pm 

I think you meant to say accuracy is NOT related to barrel length to any appreciable degree.... If using iron sights, a longer barrel gives a longer sighting radius which adds to more accurate AIMING, but barrel length, more than the last inch being straight near the muzzle contributes virtually nothing to accuracy....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:35 am 

rsterne wrote:
I think you meant to say accuracy is NOT related to barrel length to any appreciable degree.... If using iron sights, a longer barrel gives a longer sighting radius which adds to more accurate AIMING, but barrel length, more than the last inch being straight near the muzzle contributes virtually nothing to accuracy....

Bob

Yes missed the "not" :roll: :lol:

X2 on the sight radius being increased and increasing aiming ability, but even with the "the best aiming on earth" it still doesn't affect accuracy in any definitive way. I was extremely surprised when I originally found out how short the TX's barrel is, but its performance and accuracy have obviously spoken for itself many times, worldwide...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:16 pm 

ktmrider wrote:
if you test it with a chrony you should notice a small augmentation of fps from 14" to 18" but after that your valve dosen't provide enough air to keep accelerating

hi guys.. just an update, I put a 24 inch barrel on my 1322 with ftp and its only shooting 479 at best with the crosman hollow points at 10 pumps.... gonna throw back 14 inch barrel and see it there's an improvement because I was shooting faster than that with the stock valve and piston with 14 incher... just gotta wait till sunday till I can use a chrony..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:40 am 

trickster2000 wrote:
ktmrider wrote:
if you test it with a chrony you should notice a small augmentation of fps from 14" to 18" but after that your valve dosen't provide enough air to keep accelerating

hi guys.. just an update, I put a 24 inch barrel on my 1322 with ftp and its only shooting 479 at best with the crosman hollow points at 10 pumps.... gonna throw back 14 inch barrel and see it there's an improvement because I was shooting faster than that with the stock valve and piston with 14 incher... just gotta wait till sunday till I can use a chrony..

interesting!

I look forward to following the results.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:50 am 

rsterne wrote:
I'm getting really tired of people quoting stuff they read on the internet as gospel.... How effective a 24" barrel is at increasing the velocity is relative to how much power the gun is producing.... If you pump a 2289 three times you may not notice a difference, and in fact the 24" might be slower.... By the time you have a 13XX or 22XX shooting at PAL velocities, I can almost guarantee that the longer barrel WILL increase velocities.... By the time you get up to 700-800 fps the difference between an 18" and 24" barrel may be close to 100 fps....

I'll give you a hint.... If your gun is noisy, adding a longer barrel will increase the velocity.... The muzzle blast is proof that there is still enough residual pressure that a longer barrel will make use of it.... The noisier it is, the more advantage there will be.... My experience with the 22XX series is that velocities keep increasing with barrel length up to 24" on CO2, even with stock valve.... although on a stocker the increase from 18" to 24" is relatively small (20-30 fps)....

Bob

Hey, Bob, just wanted to get back on the Internet to respond to you :P . If your first comment was a reference to my post, I must confess that most of those comments I referred to came from this very little part of the Internet. As for the closing comment, I guess we were all assuming that no one would push these pistols to PAL levels, making them restricted weapons. So I guess you supported my point with your closing line.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:03 pm 

I guess if you consider 20-30 fps to be "no relevant improvement", you proved your point.... :roll:

I've actually TRIED this and found that a 24" barrel does shoot faster than an 18" on a stock 22XX, on CO2, not just read about it.... YMMV, of course.... :mrgreen:

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:14 am 

Actually, Bob, so have I. :wink: But, I say again, as I've said before, I would never even think of challenging your expertise. I just thought you were being a bit harsh in the way you presented it this time.

Peace.

Murray

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:46 am 

Must have been a bad day.... sorry....

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:56 am 

rsterne wrote:

Bob

:lol: Bad Bob ..........

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:24 pm 

lauchlin wrote:
rsterne wrote:

Bob

:lol: Bad Bob ..........

Crushing peoples dreams, one post at a time :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:55 am 

Thanks guys. I think 'I'll get over it. So many dreams yet to be crushed...

So much hope I could lessen my fantasy burdens here...

So many too burdened by their own fantasies to bother crushing mine.

I appreciate the sympathy, however.

:drinkers: ----- :tonqe: ----- :rolleyes: ----- :mrgreen:----- :drool: ----- :toimonster: