Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:20 am 

after receiving my Ruger Airhawk last week, been looking around to find the right seal for the breach block, the original one was quite flat to the breach, i think i finally found it, i made several searches on google and other forums, the number given for the O ring was #110, easily found some of those and also purchased a size smaller, so #109

the weird thing is that the original seal seemed to be a size between 109 and 110, so first i tried the 110, it worked but wouldn't last past 75 shots, the seal would just tear itself, and then the pellets would fly all over the place, i went threw 2 of those before i gave up, then i tried the 109 this AM, went outside to re-sight the scope, you'll see the results from the pics i included, also included a pic of 3 seals, starting from the left, a new 109, in the middle, a used 110, and on the right, a new 110

so the 109 seems to be the right one, although it appears smaller than the original, i figure the original looks like that from being stretched from years on the breach

Attachments:
seal 1.JPG
seal 1.JPG [ 468.11 KiB | Viewed 698 times ]
File comment: all shots taken at 82 feet
target.GIF
target.GIF [ 476.11 KiB | Viewed 698 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:25 am 

Some folks use a shim too.
http://www.archerairguns.info/2012/06/a ... -your.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:38 am 

yup. i'm currently using a shim i made out of plastic, taken from an ice cream container, it does make a difference

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:55 am 
Supporting Members

Try using a Quad seal instead of an o-ring

Im addicted to brake fluid..........but I can stop anytime....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:07 pm 

educate me, what is a quad seal

the O ring i installed this AM is already showing signs of wear, so i just sanded down the shim a bit as i'm thinking the seal is too tight when i close the barrel, therefore squashing it

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:25 pm 
Supporting Members

Quad seals are just a different type of o-ring.......they have flat edges that will seat better than an o-ring

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:29 pm 
Supporting Members

BTW if there are any hydraulic shops near,you pay them a visit. They are the best sources for seals designed to take pressure. Try not to use plumbing seals.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:13 pm 

got back from the hydraulic shop and got some quad seals, i can see how they would seal a little bit better by conforming to its groove, before i try those, i filed down the shim i had so the O ring wouldn't protrude so much, shot 50 pellets, seems to be holding now, but further shooting will tell

thx for the tip

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:25 am 

After reading this post and seeing the pic of your target I took a close look at the breach seal on the TR77 that I have had no luck with. The seal protrudes a bit and is squashed over. I am now wondering if this why my targets look like yours. Do I have to order a Crosman seal or can I also find one off the shelf? I guess what I am asking is, is there a part number I can use to find one or should I just place an order through S&A?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:03 am 

you might have better luck finding a seal for yours since its under Crosman, the Ruger was something else...

i replaced the seal because the original wasn't protruding enough for my taste, but it wasn't damaged, i damaged it while removing it, i brought it to an hydraulic place where they measured inside and outside diameters, as well as thickness, they had every seal you could possibly need, i purchased 5 for about 3 dollars, good thing i did, it was quite the adventure getting it shimmed enough to seal but not damage the O ring, took about 3 tries to get the perfect shim

not sure how old your TR77 is or how much lead you put thru it, but replacing a squashed seal is certainly indicated, your local hydraulic place is a sure bet, and as i indicated above, sizing the right one might be a little challenging since the one you have might be stretched from being on the breech, so i suggest bringing the seal with you

O rings are numbered something like 108, 109, 110, etc

that info is probably available on a google search