Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: My 2289 piston mod
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:53 pm 

I’ve been doing a lot of work on my 2289 and will be posting a thread about the mods soon, but I wanted to post the piston mod because it gave me the most grief. :roll: Originally I have an aluminum FTP and I used this at first but I didn't get the results I wanted and it had some problems like grinding when on the open stroke this was due to the piston not being perfectly aligned.

so this brings me to my modded original 2289 stuffed FTP it was working perfect, better than i thought it would then I ran into a little speed bump lol...maybe not that little. While testing my 2289 the cup seal came off and got stuck in the tube no big deal disassemble it and retrieved the piston seal. Well to avoid this same thing happening again I decided in the heat of the moment to use some crazy glue yep :rolleyes: they call it crazy for a reason, as I glued the cup seal in place some squirted on my finger so I placed the FTP on the counter while I wiped off the glue, when I returned the FTP was stuck to the counter :oops: unable to remove it without damage I tried to carefully slice it with an xacto knife, well big mistake that took a little slice of rubber off the piston cup and now it won’t seal and create the pressure it was before. :(

This is what happens when you rush stuff what I should have done was drill a small hole in the side of the cup and pined the cup seal in place problem solved. :x

So H2P was nice enough so send me one he had in his parts bin, thank you H2P. :wink:
when I got it I noticed that the seal was a little hard and not as soft as the rubber on the one I had, I decided to install it and give it a try why not, well it was pretty much the same as my piston it wouldn't create the pressure ether. Oh well back to the drawing board.

Sorry for the long explanation but I thought it was fitting to explain how I got to my piston mod.

Being one to never quite :D while I was just staring at my piston and asking myself now what am I going to do with this, :| a very good idea came to me, in my paintball parts bin I found a poppet from a mini and it was the perfect size and fit after some modifications of course. The FTP Is pretty much complete just except for a little minor details. Now all I have to ever do is change one o-ring sweet.

Sorry for spelling and grammar mistakes never was good at it. :lol:
Thanks for sticking through it cheers. :wink:

Pic's of FTP mod

Finished :D

Post subject: Re: My 2289 piston mod
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:12 pm 

Not a bad idea at all man, i love ingenuity and recycling ;) its amazing what ya can come up with in a pinch or when ya got a whack of stuff and dont know what to do with it lol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:23 pm 

Very nice way to make a flat top piston! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:41 pm 

Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:55 pm 

Nicely done, Ace! :drinkers:

Even looks better than stock (ardox nails and all :P )....what did you fill the end with? Can't even tell it was filled! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:22 pm 

Thanks Todd the nails do the job, sometimes you work with what you got. :lol: :wink:
the nails where a little time consuming i had to make them fit just right, i cut them just a tad long and filed them little by little until I could snugly press them in. I may use some putty and mold it, not sure yet.

I filled it with this copper putty similar to jb weld and then polished it up a little, the hole is very small you can notice it more then it actually showed up in the pic for some reason.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:38 pm 

So when are we going to see the 2289? :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:57 pm 

hahaha...soon to many things going on at one time lol...i'll post pic's and also the rest of the mod's i did. :drinkers:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:57 pm 

Ace wrote:
hahaha...soon to many things going on at one time lol...i'll post pic's and also the rest of the mod's i did. :drinkers:

Hey Ace, not sure if u got the pics yet, but i wouldnt mind seeing your finished 2289.... I love crosman pumpers, and i got a 1377 and 1322 myself... planning on doing up a 2289 in the future.. :rolleyes: