Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: correct length of pull ?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:31 am 

As I am getting ready to try to make a stock for my old relum I have been trying to get some clear guidance on how to determin the correct length of pull (other than what is "comfortable"...which may not actually be right I think...but woudl glad if that was the answer!). I am going to try to make an adjustable one for fun too.

I also now have several different guns and would like to pad them all out to the same length if that is possible or advisable.

I have seen videos of stocks being fitted based on focal length to the from front to rear sights, and direction to get the length by measuring arms in certain positions.

I have a trick shoulder and neck so "crunching" either and shooting for a while can be a real set back for me. I like freestanding but will also be off a bench with bags.

Any guideance on length and final height to eye line would be great thanks.

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:36 am 

From the crook of your bent arm to the pad of your bent trigger finger.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:49 am 

OK I have read that one so it stays valid thanks.

What is the effect on shooting if it gets longer to be "more comfortable"?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:54 am 

Plinkercases wrote:
OK I have read that one so it stays valid thanks.

What is the effect on shooting if it gets longer to be "more comfortable"?

It doesn't

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:21 am 

So your measuremnt is a guide to a minumum LOP but I can go longer for comfort.

I guess the next limiting factor for going longer would be my ability to focus on the sights? assuming of course perscription glasses are worn as needed......that is a challenge for me I think...getting the sights to fall within my bi-focal correct short range vision or fully in the far range corrected lense...in between sucks. Perhaps I can get the rear to fall in the near sight lense and the front sight in the far sight lense portion on longer barrels.

Thanks Walter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:47 am 

I use a much shorter length of pull than the majority of people my size. The "standard" measure is way off for me. I use what is comfortable for me. If longer is comfortable for you, that is what I would do.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:48 am 

IMO and preference the guide is maximum LOP for comfort
You can go shorter but longer becomes awkward especially for offhand.
Are you new to shooting P/C?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:59 am 

I am new to shooting but not sure what p/c means. Please clarify.
The stock is being built for an old break barrel but I also shoot co2, and multi stroke pump. I am saving for a PCP......drool drool

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:02 am 

Leave the stock long and see how it feels. Much easier to shorten a stock than it is to lengthen one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:04 am 

P/C = plinkercases

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:10 am 

Dooooh....
Thanks all for the tips.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:43 am 

If a stock is too long, it is almost impossible to shoot accurately. If a stock is a bit too short, it is still fairly easy to shoot accurately, for a seasoned shooter. You merely move your shoulder forward to make up for the shorter stock.

I don't particularly like shooting it, but I can shoot my daughter's rifle with has a length of pull an inch shorter than I prefer, just as accurately as my own rifles & they vary s well, depending on what they are.

Length of pull varies greatly depending on the type or style of stock - the drop at the comb, height of the scope, etc. Arm length, length of neck, type of stock, type of sights and height of those sights.

Crouched down, hard cheek weld on the comb as in cheek bone crushed into a Typical California roll-over cheek piece reaching for a low mounted scope or upright head Olympic-style Tyrolean -type stock.

Different shapes and designs of stocks demand different lengths of pull for most everyone.
With scopes and rifles that actually kick a bit - the proper length and scope mounting is best.
The crook of the elbow to the crook'd trigger finger works for many people - but not all.
Best to try a bunch of different ones and decide for yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:53 am 

Thanks Daryl.
Moving shoulder forward or up is what kills me quickly. And having to raise it for too long. Old gymnastics shoulders and neck dont like that.
I am still just getting over doing that to shoot my daughter's red ryder.....
I think i will go with the suggested measure and then pad it out if necessary or if I can figure out the hardware make it extendable.
I may also need to drop the butt since the wood I used to cut the stock was about 1/2 inch less than needed to get the orignal distance between sight and bottom of stock. This is practice for the wood work anyhow. If it works half decent I will get a good hunk of wood and adjust for the next version.
Mean time for existing stocks I will play with padding things out and see how that works on various guns.
I can see too long being harder to hold level as the guns COG moves out from the body...which I assume is why you say longer is harder to be accurate.