Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

buy the 953 with scope for $60?
what are you waiting for? buy it now! 81%  81%  [ 22 ]
dont waste your money, its junk. 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
look at my comment and buy something else. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
stay away from the 953. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
meh. i dont care... 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 27
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:24 pm 

Well ace the more I have played with this rifle the more it impresses me, for what it is of coarse. Once I realized it was made in the USA and found a pellet it would spit with accuracy, I'm more then happy with the purchase. I wouldn't mind and adult version in the future so my boy can be like his dad!

Smith & Wesson 686
Hatsan AT44MW-10 .177
Daisy 953S

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:25 pm 

:D :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:20 pm 

Hey Knapper, 853 CM ....Looks a lot like the 953... But is a great Adult Rifle. I have 853 C's..853CM and the CO2 888. They all are accurate and fun to shoot.

Gary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:38 pm 

Gary your talking about the Daisy Avanti 853CM correct, thats a $320 rifle big deference in price and they shoot about the same fps.

there practically the same gun and only have a couple deferences between them and the 853cm is only 2 inch longer.

daisy 853cm specs:
Caliber: 0.177" (4.5mm)
Velocity: 490 fps
Loudness: 2-Low-Medium
Barrel Length: 20.88"
Overall Length: 39.75"
Shot Capacity: 1
Cocking Effort: 25 lbs.
Barrel: Rifled
Front Sights: Globe with Aperture Inserts
Rear Sights: Diopter/micrometer adjustable
Scopeable: 11mm dovetail
Trigger: Single-stage
Buttplate: Plastic
Suggested for: Competition
Trigger Pull: 5.5 lbs
Action: Bolt-action
Safety: Manual
Power Plant: Single-stroke pneumatic
Function: Repeater
Body Type: Rifle
Weight: 6.4 lbs

daisy 953 specs:
Caliber: 0.177" (4.5mm)
Velocity: 500 fps
Loudness: 2-Low-Medium
Barrel Length: 20.88"
Overall Length: 37.75"
Shot Capacity: 5
Barrel: Rifled
Front Sights: Fiber Optic
Rear Sights: Fiber Optic
Scopeable: 11mm dovetail
Trigger: Two-stage non-adjustable
Buttplate: None
Suggested for: Target practice/Fun
Trigger Pull: 6.0 lbs
Action: Bolt-action
Safety: Manual
Power Plant: Single-stroke pneumatic
Function: Repeater
Body Type: Rifle
Weight: 6.4 lbs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:51 pm 

gpittman wrote:
Hey Knapper, 853 CM ....Looks a lot like the 953... But is a great Adult Rifle. I have 853 C's..853CM and the CO2 888. They all are accurate and fun to shoot.

Gary

I have both the Daisy 853 and 953. You're getting 90% of the performance of a 853 from a 953. Great value. The barrels are the same length, the extra total length of the 853 comes from the wooden stock with butt spacers. Of course, the 853 has the very excellent Lothar Walther barrel. My 953 barrel seems just as good as the 853's. The main drawbacks of the 953 are the crappy stock sights. Swap them with the target sights or scope it.

The 953 is like the Beeman P17 to the Beeman P3/HW 40 :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:01 am 

the 953 now comes with a bonus scope
not the best but for $70 for rifle+scope isnt a bad deal
just wish they gave you more than one 5 round mag

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:09 pm 

This rifle is not up to par with my standards but it's going to be one hell of a training rifle for my kids. The accuracy is amazing, I get rag holes at 10 yds using 7.9 JSB EXACT and the weight is just perfect now for youth and or small limbed beginners. The trigger isn't great but it seems to break consistantly but with lots of creep, the action is pretty damn smooth and knowing I can make this rifle into a single shot instead of a repeater sure makes me feel better when in the hands of the ignorant.

I'll have to keep an eye open for a scope upgrade and some semi quality rings for this rifle, I find the stock one just to cheap. The stock scope has some wavy looking crosshairs!

I can't wait till the day my son and daughter are ready to take their first shots! Going to be another year or so but when they are ready, dad will have it all for them. Now to find safety glasses for kids!

Smith & Wesson 686
Hatsan AT44MW-10 .177
Daisy 953S

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:54 pm 

I purchased one of the rifles yesterday at TSC not expecting very much at all. I must say i am very surprised with what i got.
A simple design with very few moving parts which feels very solid and a fairly decent trigger but not great out of the box. I am getting ragged one hole groups and am very satisfied for the money i spent. I added a 1 inch rubber butt extension and its a good fit now.
I will enjoy tweaking it and plan to get the peep and use it over the winter in the basement.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:12 pm 

IanC wrote:
I purchased one of the rifles yesterday at TSC not expecting very much at all. I must say i am very surprised with what i got.
A simple design with very few moving parts which feels very solid and a fairly decent trigger but not great out of the box. I am getting ragged one hole groups and am very satisfied for the money i spent. I added a 1 inch rubber butt extension and its a good fit now.
I will enjoy tweaking it and plan to get the peep and use it over the winter in the basement.

You'll love it with the peep sights. I added a wooden spacer (painted black with a sharpie lol) to increase the length of pull a bit as well. Trigger will smooth out with use. You could also open it up and do a polish and lube.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:28 pm 

I also added spacers to lengthen the stock and added target sights.
Attachment:
953 target sights.jpg
953 target sights.jpg [ 50.85 KiB | Viewed 803 times ]

Three shot target at 33ft hand held.
Attachment:
target 33ft.jpg
target 33ft.jpg [ 73.22 KiB | Viewed 803 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:55 pm 

Well ive had a chance to do some open sight shooting in the yard and it is pretty reliable at hitting my spin targets at 20 yards. Im not very happy with the scope as it doesn't focus in the centre but its perfectly clear on the edges though not that it helps. The see through mounts don't give enough clearance for the scope. I will contact daisy about the issues.
Like i said i wasnt expecting much but its pretty fun and i like how the mag auto indexes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:18 pm 

I just got mine yesterday. I dont really care for the way the pistol grip is angled and it makes my hand feel cramped. Beyond that, I really like it. I like the 5 shot mag/clip (which is it?) and the single pump makes it so much nicer than multi pumps and break barrels. It was really windy here today so I didnt get a chance to play with it too much, but so far Im impressed with it. I found the trigger a bit unpredictable I couldnt find an Allen wrench that would fit the open sites, so Im using the scope. Its been a while since Ive used a rifle capable of accurate shooting, and it was good to know that my shooting accuracy hasnt changed..... Im still terrible.

Why dont more pellet rifles use the single pump and clip setup? The only other one I know of is the IZH 61 (or whatever). Im curious how the IZH would compare to daisy?

With a bit of practice, fine tuning on the scope (and my shooting) and maybe using something beyond Crosman Pellets it will be a great shooter. Or I can just spray everything with my KWC Uzi and Steel Force

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:31 pm 

I also got one of these recently though not through the sale. They are the exact same action as their more expensive 853/853CM/753 cousins. Only difference are the stock, sights, and barrel. It's nice that Daisy sells every single part in the gun - you can call them up and order any of the upgrade parts you want. They make decent paper punchers with great accuracy and I enjoy shooting mine. On the downside the internals are cheap pot/sheetmetal + plastic and the trigger isn't great though can be improved on.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:05 pm 

what are the parts that will upgrade this?
I have been thinking about filling the piston but what else can be done?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:32 pm 

I just bought a used target pro 953 for $40, and the only thing missing was the fibre optic insert in the front sight, which is not a problem to replace.
I just chronographed it with 5.4 grain Crosman penetrators which shot well over 500 fps, and heavy Gamo armour 9.6 grain (hollow points with steel ball imbedded in the hollow point) averaged in the 375-390 fps range.
I read a lengthy review by Tom "the godfather of AirGuns" Gaylord were he speaks of pumping the 953 up to 3 times in order to maximize the air, and I was impressed with a high chronograph recording of 595 fps with 5.4 grain Crosman penetrators!!!
Obviously it probably isn't a great idea to pump these rifles 3 times all the time, but it was an interesting test with impressive results.
It's a shame that daisy has discontinued this excellent air rifle.
I would love to see them release a .22 caliber single stroke pneumatic model.

Sheridan Blue Streak
Diana Chaser .22cal
DPMS Classic A4
Crosman 1322 medalist
Hawthorne Montgomery Ward m-150
Kel-Tec PMR-30
I.B.QB-57
Crosman TrapMaster 1100
Baikal mp-651K
EKOL ES-66
Anics A-3000
Crosman 38T

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next