Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: QB57D mods
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:48 pm 

mine is showing up in the mail tm and im looking to do some power mods(yes i have a PAL)
and just make everything run smooth
any ideas would be awsome

Post subject: Re: QB57D mods
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:01 pm 

Get a Industry Brand QF-2 cleaning kit that includes a main spring. Make sure it's the kit for the QB-57 as they make them for their other guns as well.

Another simple method is to add 2 or 3 washers to the piston. 8)

To achieve a smooth shooting cycle for springers, you can do the moly the spring, piston, and other parts under friction.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:48 pm 

Other than cleaning it up inside, deburring and lubricating, trying to increase the power may not be worth the effort and could damage your gun. These rifles have small compression chambers and are almost running at their maximum from the factory. You can up the spring but the gain will be minimal maybe 30fps but the harshness of the firing cycle will be unpleasant and the extra stress may cause the trigger mechanism to fail prematurely. I have had a couple QB57s and though they are fun to monkey with the quality isn't there to push the limits. Doing basics like honing the cylinder, using moly paste or if you can find it Krytox GPL205 or similar will get it working good and then making a new spring guide that is maybe 1"longer and a little tighter than stock from Delrin or a similar product as well as making a sleeve for inside the piston from a piece of a plastic bottle will go a long way to smooth and quieten the QB57. The crown will probably benefit from a re-dressing and your set.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:12 am 

I hope I didn't discourage you from your QB57. its a fun little rifle that will give you good service once you have done the necessary tuning.
If you have a PAL and want to get more velocity but a .177 barrel from Archer Airguns, that will get you up to the 700 fps range depending on which pellets you are using.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:32 pm 

I wouldn't bother with Archer, they won't even sell/ship a QB 79 repeater breech to Canadians, good luck getting a barrel out of them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:54 am 

The trigger assembly isn't confidence inspiring, and I wouldn't really consider modding it for power.

I degreased, deburred and mollied mine, but the trigger is giving me problems.

Every several shots it gets very difficult to disengage the sear - almost two finger effort to pull the trigger - other shots are nice and pleasant. This is after I adjusted the trigger sear screw. I suspect there is some play in the trigger internals, because I don't see any rough edges that would cause the sear to hang on something.

By the way, out of the box it was dieseling like crazy. After I removed the factory grease and lubed it is shooting at 485fps with JSB Jumbo Exacts 15.9gr. The piston seal has a few nicks in it thou. I added a sleeve for the spring, can't say it made much of a difference thou. Stil twangy. The guide rod is made from a rolled piece of metal and has sharp edges/areas.

I'm going to replace all seals once I get/make a new guide rod. If I can fix the trigger issues I'll try the spring that comes with the QF-2 kit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:12 pm 

The trigger has occasionally been a problem for me as well, it seemed every time I disassembled the gun I would have to fiddle with the trigger a bit to get it woking. I would never take the trigger apart, for lubrication I would mix a little moly paste in oil , it worked for me. The last tme I had problems it seemed the sear was sliding sideways so I squeezed the body a little bit to remove some of the sloppiness. When I made a spring guide I used Acetron GP which got at Sabic Polymer Shapes. I made it 1" longer than stock and it was a snug fit to push in to the spring.
I wasn't concerned about the snug fit because when the spring is compressed to reinstall it's diameter grows and the guide will be loose after installation.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:00 pm 

This thread made me take another look at my qb57 trigger issue.

It turned out that the cocking arm safety (the one that blocks the trigger until the cocking arm is locked) was not getting out of the way completely and was partially blocking the trigger. Because there is quite a lot of slop there, sometimes it would work, sometimes it would catch pretty badly.

For now I just bent the part a bit with pliers, which solved the problem completely. I'll reshape it better next time I take the piston out.

It made a huge difference. Even when I thought the trigger worked fine, it actually still caught a bit on the safety. Now it's really smooth!

Thanks for the tip to mix moly in oil!