Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:35 am 

Hi guys, I had a conversation with Robbie this afternoon. We were talking about the best scope for the job. I just bought a Nikon Stirling Diamond scope. Robbie mentioned that I should have invested my cash, rather in a Sightron scope.

Now I also have a Nikko Stirling Target master, and a Falcon T50

I have been reading on the Sightron's web site, the scope only go as close as 13yards.

Now my question, what do you guys use, and what do you think is the best scope for FT

Thanks

Biagio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:47 am 

The little I have read seems to favour the Falcon T50.

U.S. Optics and Night Force are great scopes for Powder burners. Don't know if they make a model that would work for Field Target?
http://info.sightron.com/Riflescopes/SII-Series---Big-Sky/SIIB3642BRD/

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:18 am 

I've very happy with my T50. Haven't tried the more expensive scopes...

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:40 am 

Biagio26 wrote:
We were talking about the best scope for the job.

Had several of each
If you get a good one a March 8-80 IR with FT ret First one Feb 2011
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL15/728 ... 081756.jpg

Or March 10-60 with Diplex or FT ret
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL15/728 ... 778500.jpg Now having to use T50's until next year sometime and got that silver T50C back last week.

Best scope for the job will differ from person to person, its what you can use.
The only thing in common with US shooters is some of our boys swear by the Leupold Comp Series, world champs have been won but fixed mag.

Best scope ever had for resolution was this PR Leupold Mark 4 35mag
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL15/728 ... 819025.jpg

Longest I have retained a scope and kept using was this sold in Jan 2011 to ex world 2011 champ bought it back and flogged to Hungary. PR Leupold VX3 20-50 the last Dick Thomas ever did June 2005 and not many about. Every conceivable extra over whats been sold to date. Won A grade BFTA GP series in 2008 with it but took two years to learn.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL15/728 ... 648635.jpg

Pretty much say i have tried, stole, begged and borrowed everything going. Even had fortune of an unreleased German high end scope 'K' the other month, also had prototype S&B FT in 2006 flown overnight direct.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL15/728 ... 392940.jpg

Sightrons vary enormously in assembly, some work some don't then theres also the good one on par with respectable Leups but not the Mark4. Bad one a ZOS has better resolution and not as grainy. They shift with temp as well.
Does it matter if it only comes down to 13 yards, no big deal. Have used in major comps a borrowed March 10-60 that wouldn't focus below 35 yards, missed two that day stander and another less than 35!

Nightforces have been used for the last 20 years in FT with the 8-40mag with Tasco turrets. Most went back for repair and in meantime known two people die before getting back as in years.
BR aint bad probably was the most common Nightforce 14+ years ago in FT.
NXS 42 ok know of one person that still uses one but does have two. Just make sure US don't get it for repair, the front lens assembly will be bonded down and it cannot 'then' be refocused to less than 25 yards.

US Optics no ones took the plunge and had one made to order. However it would be big and heavy if anything lik etheir other models half the magnification.

I long for the day Meopta, Swarovski and Zeiss introduce a high mag scope.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:05 pm 

Interesting Jon. I'm leaning more and more to a Leupold. I have been shooting Leupold scopes on my powder burners for more than ten years now. I don't like them very much. . . .I love them very very much. These scopes are fantastic. I have a very good range for my Metalic Silhouette rifles.

The only thing, you have to send them to a shop to get it to focus to 10m/y, and get a nice wheel to fit it.

I have been looking through this Nikko Stirling scope, it looks pretty good. My only problem will be, for how long???

Thanks for all the interesting comments.

I hope within the next 5 months, I can find a scope that will be effiencient, durable, and long lasting.

Thanks

Biagio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:07 pm 

Hi Jon

When I asked Mark, "Berty" which scope should I get for FT. His comment was, get a Nikko Stirling Diamond. This was at the Worlds, I was still shooting with my Falcon.

Interesting.

Biagio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:13 pm 

Like anything theres scopes and theres scopes of same model and build that not only perform different also are optically different.
Even the 5 March 80's I had plus two repair on one scope performed different but none as good as first one optically.
Likewise BSA/Nikos built and assembled to a budget price as is the Falcon. Going back some years I could get them trade price only wanted one but to get a good acceptable one may need to go through at least 10. Rather than buy at trade and keep having to return it was far better to choose a dealer that had 9 in stock all laid out side by side and pay full whack. Persevered for 5 weeks then got shut of it to a UK scope producer. BSA lasted 1 1/4hrs. In 12 or more years they've been out only seen 6 good ones first hand of which three packed up many years ago. Known as disposable scope because owners could afford to throw them away after 12 months, anything above that was a bonus.

Leupolds easy to adjust and a necessity in finding the right place to set at by your eyes, no one elses.
Dropping the max focus range will make the gaps already too big on a 3" wheel even larger at the expense of a degree of snap. Leupold Custom Shop will set focus to 80 yards, in reality that's in excess of 125 yards. Ask them nicely they should leave the locking ring reasonably loose.
The 40 mag is probably the best all rounder but the 45 mag will focus better.

It takes more than a scope you can range find with to make a good scope. Other considerations to consider are weight, bulk, eye relief excluding the basic functional requirements such as zero shift, focus shift or do turrets dial or hold zero etc.

If I had to buy a scope right now I would get a Sightron S3 50 mag if it worked ok.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:23 pm 

First thing I did with this was play around with the front focus and set the eye bell up. No one can do that for you including Leupold.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL15/728 ... 873858.jpg

Having played with this scope it was rather vague still set to top out at 65 yards. Topping out at 57 yards it blanked out, see nothing so had to go higher plus maybe a bit of movement so 58 yards+ Set it to top out at 59 yards and literally transformed the scope. It came down to 16 yards, flip 50ft adapter down and then 7 1/2 yards to 14 yards 1 foot. So had blank area 14 yards 1 foot to almost 16 yards, no problem getting the shot off on stupid 15mm kills.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:45 pm 

Interesting. Sounds like you have to fiddle alot. On the other hand, I also have a 8.5 - 20 power Leupold Air rifle scope. It is very clear, and I like it alot. I originally had it on my AA S200. The only problem is that you have to set the focus on the bell end, that will take time to set it up for FT, but it is very bright and super clear, even in dark places. The scope is about 7 years old. To range find with 20 power will take a good job, LOL.

In any case, I'll be stuck with my Nikko, and my T50 for now. I'll buy more scopes later, money is a little thin.

I just got out of hospital on Monday, I was in for almost a week. I had a mild stroke, but everything is better now.

Thanks

Biagio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:53 pm 

Hope your alright Biagio.

We used to use the earlier Vari X 3 power boosted. Yours would then be the 18 to 40mag. Some had the 50mm front bell 25mm tube or 30mm tube the theres the side focus models all with same name.
Add to that there was an EFR Extended Focal Range again power boosted.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:09 pm 

That's my scope, the EFR

I'm ok now, but on Monday evening, I got bit by a spider, I got out of hospital a day after
If it rains it pours

Biagio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:04 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Biagio26 wrote:
I have been reading on the Sightron's web site, the scope only go as close as 13yards.

I know of 2 people with the illuminated Sightron and they focus to 10 yards. They're good scopes, but by the time you put a wheel on them, they're $1500. The Falcon is a great value for $825, comes with everything you'd need.

I've owned a few Nikko Diamonds, both old and new generation. They're fine scopes, were the benchmark for a few years. I had one of the newest generation on my TX200SR, and I think the sliding action did it in, it didn't break on it, but on my other piston rig. I was eventually able to have it replaced with a new one. They'll only go on my PCPs now.

The Leupold Competition 45x is what I'm currently using on my Piston rig. I really like it. It has the fine cross hairs, and doesn't quite focus down to 10 yards, but I plan to send it in to be re-parallaxed, and I'll also have the reticle changed. LOTS of spacing in between 50-55 yards on a 5" wheel. Snaps in and out of focus well, not as good as the Nikko. Owned a 35x, but found it too difficult to range with, the depth of field is too long. I've not had a problem shooting at 45x either.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:40 pm 

Tom the Comp will perform much better with a 3" to 3 1/2" wheel, gaps aint everything. Top shots are using as little as 60mm diameter less than 2 1/2" with the bulk around 81mm diameter.
If refocused for closer range those gaps will become even larger, 5mm is more than adequate to guage within 2 foot.

Just took three T50 back and came away with three more to try, so only got 5 here now.
Done my low light tests on a customer return current issue silver and the previous labelled FT version with different baffle layout plus three prototypes.
Current issue and previous FT model able to resolve within +/-12" at 60 yards that's $674 Canadian plus better wheel and mounts $143

For ref Sightron range from £980 ($1653) to £1050 ($1771) here plus mounts $42, marker $50 and wheel $101 so best part of $1965 for IR. $64 more for the lesser monstrous bulky Rowan monstrosities.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:39 pm 

Not to rain on the Best Scope parade, but if one cannot hold the crosshairs in the KZ at 50m, then the return on investment of 40,000 pellets for practice will greatly exceed spending the same $1000 on a 'better' scope.

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:24 pm 

I would disagree you don have to be able to hold a steady aim to hit, timings everything but need a modern rifle.
$1000 is entry level, spending less wont work and wasted money. If don't spend that amount as a minimum your probably going to miss any way.
FT is about wind and trajectory sadly lacking the last few years worldwide where short range sub 45 yards are widely used with barely any drift.

Many people can shoot good groupings on paper sub 10mm edge to edge, take them outside and cant hit a 40mm kill.

I usually mess about on 10mag, guess the range and take standing. Very rewarding and can learn easier from mistakes plus sometimes it seems easier.