Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:17 pm 

Does anyone have a walk through on how to tune my New air rifle to bring it up to the specified 495 FPS or at least close to it. I have researched everywhere and cannot find a detailed description on how to do it. I am new to tuning and modding air rifles but have owned many. I really would like to learn for anyone willing to teach me !!!! From my research I have deduced they shoot around 420-440 FPS out of the box.

Make it your own!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:24 pm 

Mine shoots Hobbies (11.9g) at about 477 fps, so you might want to chrony it before you do any type of mod...
A basic clean and lube wouldn't hurt, but may not be necessary.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:11 pm 

I can only get crossman pellots where i live and i dont wamt 477 i want 495 :)

Make it your own!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:57 pm 

every gun likes a different pellet,
that said, a good way to find out if the quality of the pellet you are using will give you the most FPS is to line up 5-6 of them on a table and take a close up high quality pic of them, than put them on your laptop and blow it up to compare, you can tape pics from side, top and bottom. (helps if your table is glass) or just tip them over.

if you reach in the tin/can and pull out 10 and find at least 1 with any kind of deformity that tin isnt for you jack.

i noticed a big difference in grouping and 'power' in the different pellets, so far my gun is happy with RWS

you can also clean the barrel, use a string pull through if you can, if not a metal rod will do the trick but careful not to scratch the barrel. you can also put a bit of lube on your seals.

if you do all that and your still not getting the best FPS switch to a lighter pellet or take the gun apart for better inspection

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:15 pm 

As i had mentioned the only pellot i can buy here is crossman

Make it your own!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:47 pm 

From what I see you fill the bleed hole with JB weld and drill new sized holes on it till you get the velocity you want. You'll need one of those tiny drill bit kits, not the ones from hardware store.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:54 pm 

that sucks that you cant get your hands on anything else.
what about shopping online? is that an option?
i just got a bunch of stuff from D&L, called the girl on the phone and she was very helpful, had my stuff here in 3 days.
they do have sample packs also if you dont know what is best for you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:11 pm 

I wouldnt know where to order from nor which pellots work best in my gun as else where on this forum I read you can go too light which causes damage to the piston. I want to do small pesting but all i have is crossman pointed and crosspoint hollowpoints. Idk what would work best for such an what my gun will be happiest with

Make it your own!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:51 pm 

as for what works best, there is no golden answer, you just have to try a few different type and see which one your gun likes best.
you can TRY and do some homework as to what others have used on the same gun but thats a hit and miss deal. but at least it will put you in the right direction.

i personally havent had much luck with hallow points, i have tried them on a few different guns and not happy with either, on the other hand, my buddy uses them on all his bird hunts and he loves them. just goes to say the prev point.

now as to where to get pellets i just got an order from D&L (http://www.dlairgun.com) and im happy with them. you can also try ScopesAndAmmo.com and airgunsource.com they are good people and wont rob you when sending you something small.

they all have 'sample' packs of different brands, right now i'm using RWS and i'm happy with them, i have also heard great things about gammo, abit on the pricy side for my wallet but they have been known to be good.

bottom line, if you cant get this stuff from a store, you might have to go online
good luck