Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:44 pm 

I have a canadian tire .22 Benjamin classic and decided to mod it. Dissassembled it but found no bleed hole in the piston.The piston stroke was only 1.875" .So i cut 1" off the rear of the piston and machined a new hole for the trigger as well as extended the cocking lever hole by 1" .It now has 2.875 " stroke. Also put a 1/2 " shim in the spring to increase tension.The gun cocks a little harder but not too bad and seems to have better performance.I have ordered a chrony and will let you know what the pellet fps is after these mods.Was probably only 430 to 450 at best before the mods depending on the pellet weight used. I use crossman 16 grain.I am a machinist so these mods were easy for me but would not be easy without the proper machining tools . ( lathe and Milling machine.)The piston is hardened steel so it's very hard to machine.Can't wait to see if i made any difference. I hope so. If not I think I'll order the quest 1000 piston and spring kit , they say they will fit and increase the fps to around 750 to 800.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:58 pm 

I'm guessing you your PAL. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:42 pm 

Yea i have a PAL so once i chrono the gun i'll see where im at.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:38 pm 

Cool.
lol...i was trying to say you have your PAL, :roll:
dame keyboard keys lock up sometimes as I'm typing. :lol:
need a new laptop :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:58 pm 

Bet she's in the 600-700 fps range. Myself I have the bleed hole but no pal yet... so I filled the hole and re-drilled it to get the max fps allotted. I also polished everything on the inside super smooth. With the hole filled it was hitting 650-680. Was some work to get it just right but now it hits hard and is quieter-smoother to shoot.

"When Obi-wan talked about the darkside of the force who knew he was referring to windows...?"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:59 pm 

doublevision wrote:
Bet she's in the 600-700 fps range. Myself I have the bleed hole but no pal yet... so I filled the hole and re-drilled it to get the max fps allotted. I also polished everything on the inside super smooth. With the hole filled it was hitting 650-680. Was some work to get it just right but now it hits hard and is quieter-smoother to shoot.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:35 am 

squirrelly wrote:
I have a canadian tire .22 Benjamin classic and decided to mod it. Dissassembled it but found no bleed hole in the piston.The piston stroke was only 1.875" .So i cut 1" off the rear of the piston and machined a new hole for the trigger as well as extended the cocking lever hole by 1" .It now has 2.875 " stroke. Also put a 1/2 " shim in the spring to increase tension.The gun cocks a little harder but not too bad and seems to have better performance.I have ordered a chrony and will let you know what the pellet fps is after these mods.Was probably only 430 to 450 at best before the mods depending on the pellet weight used. I use crossman 16 grain.I am a machinist so these mods were easy for me but would not be easy without the proper machining tools . ( lathe and Milling machine.)The piston is hardened steel so it's very hard to machine.Can't wait to see if i made any difference. I hope so. If not I think I'll order the quest 1000 piston and spring kit , they say they will fit and increase the fps to around 750 to 800.

I tested it over my chrony and got an average of approx 640fps with crosman premier hollow points 14.3 grains.The spread was from 629fps to 657fps . I've only put about 50 pellets through the barrel so i guess it will get better as most people claim .I bought a quest 1000 piston and spring so i will compare these parts with mine and note the difference.The quest spring has the same wire dia and the piston looks longer than my modded one so until i dissamble i won't no for sure. anyway i will let you know what i find.I'm happy with these results and it hits hard.Tried it in the house cus i couldn't wait and it went through a 1 inch phone book and stuck in a wooden chair back ,,,flattened the pellet right out.Squirrels better hide now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:38 pm 

Could u just drop the parts in? Or were they mods needed? Iv taken my gun apart to clean and inspect what I have since I my research there is a ton of different internals for the same break barrel I don't have the bleed port in my piston but I found in comparison it was. The shorter piston I could t even put a shorter one in cause it's pretty much at its Max. What was the piston difference in the quest 1000 and the classic 22

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:50 pm 

If you shorten the piston too much it won't cock. If looking into the parts talk to Eric at scopes and ammo , he'll give you the skinny on what to buy. Most likely spring,piston and seal , or gas ram from the trail np and piston from the same.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:56 am 

I don't believe the Quest piston will fit your gun... It'll be easy to tell because a Quest and most all Crosman guns have a receiver tube OD of ~29.6mm, the other OD size is ~33.3mm. The pistons are about 4.5-5mm less, so if you have the fatter tube then you need a 28.5mm piston. The fatter piston is also shorter which would explain why you think the new one looks long.
You should also be sure to replace the main seal, and remove all the sharp edges inside the tube so the new seal isn't ruined too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:06 pm 

Mine was the original long piston. I swapped out the piston with a phantom800/quest/optimus1000 piston (iirc they are indeed the same). I am right around 700 over the chrony. My spring was well broken in... a new 1000 spring should get you an increase but 700 is somewhat a sweet spot in break barrel air rifles and plenty power for rabbit or longer shots at the targets of your choice :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:37 pm 

Yea I'd be happy with that^ thanks