Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: air magnum gas pistons
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:21 pm 

I've been interested in changing my spring in my hatsan 60s with a piston
the only one i've been able to find online is the air magnum company
has anyone tried there product and
how was it dealing with them
they're located in the Ukraine

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:04 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Custom-fitting gas struts into springers can be done yourself if you know the length of the spring in your rifle and have access to some basic machining equipment (lathe and a drill). Rifles with a center-rod for the sear lockup this can't be done, but for any rifle with a slot/sear engagement, if you know the spring length you can get a strut from different suppliers. The 'problem' is that you need the correct guide in the piston head- i.e. a machined insert (tack welded in place) with a divot to locate the strut rod in the center, and an appropriately sized rear guide to hold the body of the strut centered at the base. If you don't have any machining equipment, you would then need a complete "kit" of some sort.

Please note: I do not conduct business through Private Messages (PM's) in online forums. Please do not send a 'PM" with a business-related question.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:23 pm 

Eric is correct, I purchased a nitro piston upgrade kit from Scopes and Ammo, and just a Nitro piston and washer guide from airmagnum. The kit from Eric was a quick and easy install, with all of the required components. The other unit I had to do a few modifications and the cost ended up being almost the same.They both worked very well and both suppliers were great to work with.

XT15
Sig Sauer SP2022
BSA Meteor MK5 .177
Webley Alecto .177
P17
HW45 Blackstar .177

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:31 pm 

http://www.airgunstore.ru/gazovye_pruzhiny/
http://www.airgunstore.ru/manzhety/
This store sends springs and seals around the world

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:12 am 

mes4u2c wrote:
Eric is correct, I purchased a nitro piston upgrade kit from Scopes and Ammo, and just a Nitro piston and washer guide from airmagnum. The kit from Eric was a quick and easy install, with all of the required components. The other unit I had to do a few modifications and the cost ended up being almost the same.They both worked very well and both suppliers were great to work with.

i tried a search @ scopes and ammo and nothing shows for any piston upgrade kits
how did you find it
these russian polish and czech sites are killers to interpret what there talking about
every site i've found has something a little different
i've found the vortex kit online for my hatsan 60s
i'd sure like to see the instructions but there doesn't seem to be any online
pretty sure one peek at those and i'd be set to whip something up
looks like i'll just have to tear the rifle down and figure it out
we have a company in town that makes gas nitro pistons to any specs you need
i'll have to pay him a visit
Thanks for the help

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:31 pm 

The kit I received from Scopes and Ammo was for a Quest/Optimus for the Crosman.
http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... 1000-p-471
You could contact them and see what they have.

I received a couple of pages of instructions from Magnum air for installation and setup. If you send me your email I can send you what I got from them.

XT15
Sig Sauer SP2022
BSA Meteor MK5 .177
Webley Alecto .177
P17
HW45 Blackstar .177

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:22 pm 

Last night I finished installing the Airmagnum gas-spring in a Hatsan 135. I deburred, cross-hatched, degreased with acetone, lubed everything with Krytox and oh-my, it is now a very nice air-rifle, indeed. I can certainly give a thumbs up to the Airmagnum gas-spring, right now, but only time will tell if it lives up to the claimed 8-11 years of service, or not.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:35 pm 

owen wrote:
Last night I finished installing the Airmagnum gas-spring in a Hatsan 135. I deburred, cross-hatched, degreased with acetone, lubed everything with Krytox and oh-my, it is now a very nice air-rifle, indeed. I can certainly give a thumbs up to the Airmagnum gas-spring, right now, but only time will tell if it lives up to the claimed 8-11 years of service, or not.

Would you please measure the peak cocking force? REading on a bathroom scale less the weight of the rifle at highest force.
pics please and what caliber?
Walter....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:17 pm 

Walter,
This Hatsan 135 is .22cal. I didn't take any pics of the process, but here's an image of the air-rifle:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3nj8vmtkh2x2bv4/_1050233.jpg

Also, I did test cocking effort on a bathroom scale, but the info may not be useful to you as I have removed 6" of barrel length. It tested 88lbs, minus 8lbs for the rifle's weight, equals 80lbs.
I've shot it about 20 times today and it's shooting well over 30fpe. In the background of the pic that I posted is an .22cal XL1100 that shoots 14.3g Premier Domes at 962fps for 29.38fpe at the muzzle (this gun is Krytox lubed, as well as other modifications to the powerplant.) Though I haven't chronographed the 135 yet, I know it's shooting much harder than the XL1100. The Hatsan's piston dia. is larger and the stroke is longer, so shooting harder was expected with the "enhanced" version of Airmagnums gas spring.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:07 am 
Supporting Member 2009

Not to be funny, but I doubt very much it is over, or near 30fpe unless detonation is a factor. The 135 has a smaller tube that the NP XL rifles and the NP XL's are outputting around 28fpe. Power is dictated by air volume moved- smaller tube, less volume= less power. Yes, spring rates (or struts- it is the same difference) can affect piston travel- i.e. volume over a given amount of time- but the 135 already has pretty much the largest spring in it that can be used, so I don't see converting to a strut increasing its power 25%.

You may want to break it in a bit and be sure detonation is not part of this situation, then re-measure.

Please note: I do not conduct business through Private Messages (PM's) in online forums. Please do not send a 'PM" with a business-related question.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:49 am 

Wait a bit till the Hatsan Vortex pistons hit the market. Adjustable air pressure. Perfect for tuning.

http://www.hatsan.com.tr/en_unique_futu ... atsan.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:42 am 

owen wrote:

what parts did you order for your hatsan
it was suggested by air magnum i purchase a cuff bypass but i'm not sure what this part is for
was there a lot of custom parts that you had to make for the piston to fit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:59 pm 

Brogreg,
I ordered the gas-piston, which comes with both of the front and rear metal centering discs, and the "cuff bypass"(breach-seal) and "piston sleeve closed" (fully enclosed face piston seal.) Both of the metel discs, that center the gas-spring at each end, had to be slightly ground around their circumference, to allow them to fit. I did this quickly with a diamond file, because it was late at night and my belt grinder, located in the basement, might wake up those already sleeping in my house.

airguneric,
The piston diameter of the Hatsan 135 is nearly 2mm more than that of the Benjamin XL1100.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:30 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

owen wrote:
airguneric,
The piston diameter of the Hatsan 135 is nearly 2mm more than that of the Benjamin XL1100.

And the tube/stroke length?

http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:03 pm 

AirGunEric wrote:
owen wrote:
airguneric,

And the tube/stroke length?

http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/th ... sions+data,

Hatsan 135 is the biggest swept volume available even larger than the Patriot.
Cool stuff.

IIRC the Benji XL is the Remington Genesis?