Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:23 am 

Three or four people said the yes to a shoot on Sunday and there were several more maybes. It's supposed to be mild but with a chance of rain. Unless it is pouring, we'll go ahead with the shoot.

If you haven't been out to a shoot yet and don't have a rifle, come out anyway and borrow a gun. For those of you with a foster fitting on your PCP gun, I'll have my HPA tank there for refills. We will start setting up at 9:00, do some sighting in and try to start the match by 10:00. Setup will take a bit longer this time as we have lanes in the woods, trees, and across gullies to set up. Please read the safety rules at the bottom of this email.

We will have 10 lanes (three targets in each) with a total of 60 shots and we will have a standing and a kneeling lane. It would be handy if a couple of people could bring cordless drills and #2 bits to help mount so of the tree targets.If you're bringing targets, please have them freshly painted (faceplates and KZs should be contrasting colours).

We had Hunter Division as an option last time and it seemed to work out quite well. For those of you in Hunter Division we'll be using the CAFTA rules where hits on the faceplate score 1 point and a knock down scores 2 AND you cannot use the scope's parallax adjustments to help with range finding. If you have range markings on your parallax wheel/knob please cover them up with electrical or painters tape. Hunter Division is an especially good choice if you have a sub-500FPS gun. Remember, bipods are not allowed, only monopods. You can find the detailed CAFTA rules at: http://caftacentral.com//index.php/cafta/

In addition to your gun and pellets please bring along a pen, clipboard , stopwatch and something to sit on for the many seated shots. If you want to do sighting in please bring along a carton with targets attached. If you cut a couple of holes in the carton on one side near the bottom, you can run a string through the holes and then pull the target closer to you to check your elevation settings without needing a cease fire for everyone. We have a trick for how to turn the plastic carboard election signs into free standing paper target holders - if you have one, bring it along and we'll share the secret.

There will be a couple of airguns that people can borrow, and a growing number of fancy FT rifles for people to check out. Just let me know if you need to borrow a gun in advance.

Roland of http://nboairguns.ca/ wanted to share some good news - he's now also carrying Air Force airguns and several brands of match pellets. He also has a good price on Gamo targets.

I have added yet a few more hopefully helpful links to the page at http://www.firearmstraining.ca/ft.html

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:17 pm 

How did the event turn out?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:26 am 

Once again the gods smiled on our FT efforts. We had a few minutes of mist, negligible wind and the rain only started as we were putting targets away. Some idiot forgot a tote bag full of strings, so we only set up seven lanes of 3 targets. Of course, John grabbed all of the targets with reducers, so while most targets were relatively close about half had reducers. I dragged my wife out on the balmy Saturday afternoon to help set up targets in trees, so we had a decent head start but it still took almost 90 minutes to set up the rest of the targets - proving the corollary to "many hands make light work" - it would have gone much faster if there had been more than four of us.

Brian's upside down bird was roosting in his usual tree, but up about 14'. I made that a freestyle lane to maximize the angle and discovered with my first miss of the match that you really do have to treat extreme angle shots as if they are closer! I aimed at the top of the 1" KZ on the second shot and that did the trick.

WFTF
Dave 40/42
John 30/42

Hunter Piston
Duncan 50/84 - Jr
Steve 44/84 - sub-500

Anyone who has been dissuaded from attending a shoot this year because of a crappy forecast, missed out on good shooting. THe majority of our match dates had crappy weather forecasts, but we never actually got rained on during a match. If you look at the UK, where FT is a year-round sport, you can see that our season could be longer - just wear the right clothes and you'll be fine.

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:15 pm 

Sorry I couldn't make it this past Sunday (home duties intervened at the last minute). The weather was great in the morning -- wish I was there!

About severe angle shots, folks might want to look at http://www.longrangehunting.com/article ... ooting.php

I note that for a mere couple hundred bucks you can get an "angle cosine indicator" for your rifle.

ALTERNATIVELY, I would think that, at least when you're shooting in trees as we do, you could get the correct targeting information for turret adjustment by using not the distance to the target but rather the distance to a point on the target tree at the height your muzzle is.

Wouldn't work when you've got a target on a hill of course (for example in the Worlds held in Germany a few months ago)!! Maybe memorize a few elements of a cosine / distance table??

Anschutz 64R (.22LR), Sightron SII Big Sky 36x42
Savage 64 (.22LR), Falcon M10B 10x42
Remington 700 VTR (.223 REM), Choate Stock, Sightron SII 36x42
Ruger RPR (.308 WIN), Sightron SIII SS 8-32x56 LR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:34 pm 

I'll definitely work out a cheat sheet for dealing with inclines/declines this winter.

Of course, now I'm wishing I paid more attention in math class 30ish years ago... :oops:

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:08 am 

In case anyone is actually interested in the math derivation of the rule of thumb used (take distance per the estimate from the scope and multiply by the cosine of the rifle incline) a rather technical explanation can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifleman's_rule.

One sometimes sees the "explanation" that this adjustment is required because the horizontal distance travelled by the pellet is less than the distance to the target. This is of course incorrect; the pellet drops exactly the same amount because the time gravity is acting on the pellet is the same whether on the horizontal or on an incline. Rather the adjustment is due to the fact that when shooting on an incline the the drop is not at 90 degrees to the LOS whereas the scope settings assume that it is.

Anyway, bottom line is that the scope height settings for a target in a tree need to based on not actual distance to the target but to the distance to the around base of the tree (at the height your targets were for zeroing the rifle) .

Note that any windage adjustments would be based on the actual distance to the target.

Anschutz 64R (.22LR), Sightron SII Big Sky 36x42
Savage 64 (.22LR), Falcon M10B 10x42
Remington 700 VTR (.223 REM), Choate Stock, Sightron SII 36x42
Ruger RPR (.308 WIN), Sightron SIII SS 8-32x56 LR