Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:46 pm 

Well, my Crosman 1322 hasn't even arrived yet and I'm already looking into mods! :roll:

One mod has me scratching my head, though. It's the barrel spacer shim, that is supposed to improve accuracy? In the powder-burning guns, most modders would want their barrels to be free floating to improve accuracy, but a barrel spacer seems like it would do the exact opposite of that. Why the difference? Is it something to do with the air shooting upwards into the barrel that adding the spacer (and a steel breech for that matter) is a good idea?

I'm sure this is a dumb question that has been answered a billion times already, but if you could clue me in I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your help!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:10 am 
Supporting Member 2009

The spacer on this platform is for both cosmetics (i.e. no gap between tube and barrel) and tightening up the gun a bit with its plastic barrel band and plastic breech. Install a steel breech kit and you could lose the spacer with no effect.

Please note: I do not conduct business through Private Messages (PM's) in online forums. Please do not send a 'PM" with a business-related question.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:10 am 

Trim strip to make it look purdy AFAIK....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:30 am 

AirGunEric wrote:
The spacer on this platform is for both cosmetics (i.e. no gap between tube and barrel) and tightening up the gun a bit with its plastic barrel band and plastic breech. Install a steel breech kit and you could lose the spacer with no effect.

Ah, I gotcha! It's more of a cosmetic thing than anything else then. So, if one were to get a steel breech kit and keep the spacer, it wouldn't negatively affect accuracy...correct? BTW, what are some other mods that can help improve accuracy?

Also, does ScopesAndAmmo have the extended .22 bolt for Crosman 1322 or is that included with the steel breech kit?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:30 am 
Supporting Member 2009

Improving accuracy is dependent on the shooter- there are replacement sears and trigger adjustment parts, longer barrels to allow the shooter to stabilize their shot better and line things up over a greater distance from front-rear sight- but if the shooter is steady as a rock with a 7.5" barreled pistol and can maintain consistency with the stock trigger pull- then "accuracy modifications" be damned- this type of shooter probably doesn't need them (mind you, good luck finding a shooter of this calibre).

As to the steel breech having an "extended bolt"- this has come up before and is incorrect. The bolt in the breech kit is the same size as the stock unit. The difference is the bolt included with the gun is a press-fit bolt/handle arrangement and pulling it apart/putting back together for installing in a steel breech kit is likely to make it wobbly after some use- the bolt/handle in the steel breech kit is threaded to allow infinite removal/re-installation without issues. An extended bolt would be this: http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... ndle-p-433

http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

Please note: I do not conduct business through Private Messages (PM's) in online forums. Please do not send a 'PM" with a business-related question.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:54 pm 

I have the 1377, similar to the 1322 except for a different caliber. I have installed the steel breech with the intent of using a scope on top of it. I find the steel breech to be much more solid than the plastic breech.

I recommend the flat top piston upgrade and a longer barrel. I've purchased but not yet installed the flat top piston upgrade and would soon like to order a longer barrel, perhaps 14". That's a respectable amount isn't?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:17 pm 

Awesome! Thanks for the info guys.

I have also been looking up info on the FTP valve/piston setup, SureShot. I'm not gonna lie the whole deburring the pump tube thing scares me a little bit. I mean, not the deburring itself, but the thought of me not doing it correctly and buggering everything up. :D

BTW, on the topic of FTP valves, I'd imagine you apply some sort of grease/oil to it to make the valve easier to insert into the tube? If so, what types of grease/oil would you use?