Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Acro I seal help needed
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:15 pm 

I have a Shakespeare Acro I that my father would have purchased in 1971 or earlier that I'd like to make working again. I used this gun a lot as a kid and I think it would be neat to fire it again.

The seals need replacing. I think I could make the seal at the puncture point but, I have no idea what the internal seal would even look like.

I'd also be happy to have someone else fix it.
I'm not sure if it's even worth doing, so, maybe a trade for a newer pistol to an obsessed collector who needs one. :)
Any guidance or direction is much appreciated.
Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:01 pm 

Well, I haven't had the internal seal fail yet, but I did replace the piercing pin seal.....I used a Crosman 38/357 seal...It turned out to be the right thickness, so I put a bolt through the hole and tightened a nut on it just enough so it wouldn't turn,....then I chucked it in the drillpress and 'narrowed' it down with a file to fit snug in the Acro...........Be carefull not to damage the piercing pin as it's not a separate part.......The seal is pliable but hard so it takes a while......and, because it swells slightly when squeezed by the bolt, allow for 2 or 3 thou shrinkage when it's released from the bolt or the fit won't be as snug, but it'll still work and the co2 bottle will expand it some ( just so it stays in place when re-loading a cart )..........Mine's holding up very well,...Good luck, Thumper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:40 pm 

You can probably squish a little O-ring in there once you pull out the old seal. I can't see the face on the brass part, but it looks similar to the SA-6 needle from the side. Try a small O-ring, those guns are easy to work on.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:02 pm 

HI: I had the same issue you have with an old one of mine. I first tried an O ring approach (a bunch of different styles and materials from Able O Ring) and I finally custom cut one out of Viton Extreme which worked. It became a quest in the end to make it seal repeatedly. Try the 38 Crosman seal first as that would have been my move if I had only known!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:29 pm 

Oh yeah, ....Do have fun putting it back together!!! a tip,-- Put a thread around the trigger spring so you can pull it in place as it's assembled.......................Thumper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:58 pm 

Thanks to all. I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. The Crossman seal is great info and I'll start there. I'll guess and just keep adding some appropriate O rings to the internal seal and see what happens.

It's probably a spring in the face looking for a place to happen but, If you cock the gun it will hold the trigger and its spring in place while you put the other side on. The string is most likely safer. :)

Thanks again.
Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:42 pm 

I happened to be talking to a buddy who had a good assortment of silicone O rings and washers and I tried to get it going.
The seal at the cartridge is good but, it spit Co2 out of the barrel, well more than spit. I got three shots off before it was empty...lol. It also leaked at the seam in front of the trigger and when I opened it again I think it might have at one time had an O ring between the barrel and the air mechanism stopping the gas from leaking there.
Oh well. The first shot was fun enough and made me grin. Since my original query I've purchased 3 pistols and a rifle, this one will be fine on the wall as art (wall of my shop, wife and I disagree on the definition of art).