Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:10 pm 

Hi Ken

i poured a lot into this rifle, was only supposed to be a PAL holdover till next spring, til i get the suggested Diana 34 that is, during the last two months, it did keep me busy(and frustrated), i tried everything i know, just can't pin point the exact issue, its coming down to either the breech fit i.e. bad machining, or loose barrel because of bending it too often, the other suspected culprit is the scope, which i think is the real issue, i'm thinking that because right after i tried different scopes, it did group up on the same spot on occasions, but would then float away and never come back or group again, till i got another scope on it, one of the scope i tried was the centerpoint 4x30, and now that its back on another rifle, its showing mechanical failure on the windage, i'm thinking the ruger destroyed it

anyway, its up to a point where i don't want to buy another scope just to be disappointed

Hi Paddyfritz

i considered buying another used Ruger just for the barrel and receiver, kinda like buying the body of a car to fit that big cool engine you have, in looking at the top of the breach(action side), the machining looks like whatever grinded it, was pulled back and reset, not even on the left side, that is why i kinda left the idea of buying just the barrel

shame though, i really like the feel of the gun, and love the power, so i'm down to putting it in the parts bin, or just selling the thing for parts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:55 am 

I also have the Ruger air hawke. After the the first month I was ready to throw it away. It destroyed 3 scopes, including a $300 bushnell. And stripped a stock screw from the harsh recoil. Then when the spring broke in two places, I replaced it with a Diana spring and cut two coil,s off. It went from 1100 fps down to 850 to 950 depending on pellet, and shoot,s much better group,s. I also recrowned it even though the crown looked fine and it made a difference. I now have it scoped with a cheapo leapers air gun rated scope and so far it is holding. Still not a tack driver, but good enough for pesting at close range, 20 to 30 yd,s. I am considering selling it locally, as it is the only gun I don't shoot, at least not in the last 6 month,s. As for your barrel issue, it sound,s as though the previous owner shot it with the barrel open.
So A new barrel and weaker spring might solve your problem,s. But if it were me I would not waste money on a barrel and spring. Instead, sell it for what you can get, and buy a Diana 34. Or buy the 34 first and see if the stock and other part,s will fit the Diana. Nice to have if they do.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:20 am 

yup. i think that will be the plan Joe, and i did read a few places that some of the parts are interchangeable, not sure which ones

since i made marks on the receiver and a bit on the stock, i won't be selling it as a shooting gun, but as a gun for parts, the internals are still good and undamaged, as for the externals, i can't see them being re-used, if they are no good to me, they should not be any good for anyone, if not, i'll strip the thing down to its separate components and keep it like that

thanks all

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:09 pm 

I have a Ruger Airhawk that's an absolute dream. Very tight tolerances and built quite well considering it's Chinese made but I do understand that a turd does escape every now and then. Anything second hand can be tricky too. I would just take the loss and get a Weihrauch or Diana myself too. Good luck. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:20 am 
Supporting Member 2009

huckleberry wrote:
I have a Ruger Airhawk that's an absolute dream. Very tight tolerances and built quite well considering it's Chinese made but I do understand that a turd does escape every now and then. Anything second hand can be tricky too. I would just take the loss and get a Weihrauch or Diana myself too. Good luck. :)

I can relate to all 3 points here just this week.
I have been lucky with Rugers, all dreamy so far.
I almost sharted on the way home from a long shift at work this AM.
Got burned on a second hand deal.

Best answer to a week like that is as prescribed by huckleberry, buy a nice gun and forget about it.

All jokes aside, I wonder if there were different versions of the Airhawk? Did they work out some kinks along the way? My current models have been awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:12 am 

well, knowing myself, i ill let that go for now and move on with other stuff

today, i'll go buy a big plastic bin and make it my parts bin, i will throw in 3 disassembled gun, the Ruger, the Raven, and the chinese 500x

in the future, if i would come across the externals of an Airhawk for cheap, and in good shape, i will consider resurrecting it, but this is far from a set plan, just something to consider

for now, i'm just going to put in some work on setting my indoor shooting range and get back to shooting my M4-177, and Winchester

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:12 am 

Well since I have both the Diana 34 and Air hawke. I decided today, out of curiosity, to see if the stock and barrel,s are interchangeable. The barrel of the Air hawke fit,s perfectly on the Diana and I found out the accuracy problem is NOT in the barrel because the group,s were better at 50 yd,s. 1.5 " with a bit of a wind using the Diana breech and stock. The Diana barrel however is a little, very little, loose on the Air hawke. So I shimmed the seal with a thicker washer behind it and it snug,s up nicely. However it may loosen as the seal compresses. It,s only a temporary trial so no permanent fix will be attempted. I have not accuracy tested it yet because it has no sight,s on it yet so I will have to scope it later. But it does fire . The Air hawke was .177 and the Diana .22. So now the diana with the .177 barrel chrony,s at 1000 fps exactly. And the Air hawke in .22 chrony,s at 658 to 675. The stock,s however would need to be slightly modified to fit. Front stock screw hole,s and some wood around the front need,s to be removed. Also the push arm,s needed to be swapped as well. I haven't looked at the trigger,s yet, but I do know the spring,s and piston,s are exchangeable. So If you do decide on a Diana, It will give you an opportunity to try the barrel of your Air hawke on your Diana to see if it is a barrel problem.And A new spring for you new Diana , if you ever need one will cover about half of what your air hawke cost you. And if your Air hawke barrel shoot,s good on the Diana frame, then you have an optional calibre choice.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:27 pm 

wow. i was expecting maybe the stock to fit, and maybe some internals like the spring and perhaps even the piston, but certainly not the barrel on the other guns receiver, now that is interesting, thx Joe

oh and for the Diana, i assure you, its a done deal, i am buying one, even if it meant that its the only thing i could buy next year :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:53 pm 

PAL or non PAL ? .177 or .22. I would recommend .22 PAL version, for the Diana. That way the .177 Ruger barrel will fit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:56 pm 

PAL....most def

i had set my mind on the 177, but what you propose might be an interesting thing to do :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:27 pm 

I tried a thicker washer behind the seal on the Diana barrel to tighten the lock up. It works, but the accuracy is inconsistent because the barrel lock,s up differently every time because the seal compresses differently depending on how hard I lock up the barrel. Side to side is great, but up and down varies each shot as much as 2 inches. If I were in a position where I was switching barrel,s permanently, I would find a better solution. In your case the .177 Ruger barrel fit,s the Diana perfectly. So if it,s accurate on the Diana frame then you have 2 Diana,s, one in each caliber.