Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:54 pm 

Hi. I have a Benjamin Sheridan Trail NP All Weather .22 cal 495fps with GTR trigger. It's a great gun but didn't shoot great. So I fixed it. Before it would shoot 1" or about with flyers at 33 feet (11y) from a shooting bench. After the fix It shoots multiple 5 shoot groups that measure minus .4", with plenty of minus .25" and my best .1" five shoots.
Here is the fix and it cost 00$. I took the shroud off the barrel. It was hard to unscrew but I manage. Upon inspecting the barrel and the shroud tip I notice that the shroud was screwed and glued in place on the barrel. The tip of the barrel was covered by a thick rubber like brown glue and it was touching the crown. After cleaning the barrel tip I inspected the crown I used Go-Goon the remove all the glue. Also removed the glue from the shroud cap (inside). I put the shroud back over the barrel carefully and tighten it snug but not over tighten. Tightening the shroud puts tension on the barrel. So the right amount of tension is important (did not measure). Sorry I have no picture.
After this "Tune-up" I immediately notice quite an improvement in accuracy. I only shoot at 11 yards paper target and now it shoot only clusters, tight clusters.
With Stoeger X-Hunter pellet I shoot only once at a .22lr shell and hit it smack down the middle. Didn't push my luck and didn't try it again. My best groups are with Stoeger X-Match, X-Hunter and JSB Jumbo 15.9g.

Jacques13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:08 pm 

O.K. so how does I loosen the shroud endcap, I thought it was with a hex wrench, but when I tried the wrench kinda peeled the endcap. Is there another easier way that doesn't involve taking/sending it to someone? I'm about to wrap a piece of old leather belt around it and grab on with the vise-grips arrrgghh!!!

Tb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:51 pm 

No, no,no....just with the allen key. It as to be the right size...1/4 Allen key.
Put in the shroud end cap, deep enough so it grabs good and unscrew...
The shroud in screwed just at the end of the barrel not neer the breech.
Minew came all at once then I had to separete the three parts: end cap, the tube and the v shape part near the breech.

Jacques13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:33 pm 

I'm going to have to look at my Benjamin to see if I can improve its accuracy by removing the muzzle break. Also I need to upgrade my trigger too.

On my Daisy 953 I removed the muzzle break too more to adjust its position on the barrel. I should do some experimentation to see if it makes a difference where on the barrel it's installed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:26 am 

Thanks for the info Jac13 !
I'll give her another try, although I suppose if it still doesn't work a hack saw or cutting torch may be brought into use :)

Tb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:41 pm 

All I gotta say is the benjamin trails are the worst for accuracy guns that crosman ever released... This gun is all just looks and feel... its good for shooting watermelons...... trigger sucks but so does all crosman airguns.... even my 760 pumpmaster will do better groupings..... just check out this review.... you will think twice before getting one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In1O27YgkNI If this guy cant get this gun to shoot straight, I dont know who can...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:12 pm 

Well, I'm here to publicly admit that when it comes to 'modding' airguns I am the Homer Simpson award recipient :)
I got out a 1/4" hex and when I tried to loosen the shroud cap, the wrench started to turn, I was quite happy and continued a few revolutions until I realized I was unscrewing the barrel from the breechblock. Ooops, better screw that puppy back in and I did so until it was snug.
I removed the trigger group from the action, studied instructions and photos that were kindly provided to me by another member here, yep everything sure looks like it is where is it supposed to be, yet when I remounted the stock, the rifle still will not cock. Tried lighting candles and praying, nope no luck.
Tried facing the east and bowing repeatedly on bended knee, nope.
Verbally threatened the gun, nada.
Bought flowers and a bottle of wine and put on Barry White, zilch!
So my next step was to send an email to the retailer I bought it from begging forgiveness and I'm anxiously awaiting a positive response stating he will help me.
I'm thinking if I come clean, you folks won't try to hold an intervention, those things are so embarrassing.

I'll go now and crawl back under the rock..

Tb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:10 pm 

The monkey is off my back!!!

Took the rifle apart again, double checked that everything was as it should be according to my interpretation of drawings and info supplied to me and put it back together. Lo and behold she cocks and fires, and the safety operates as it should.
I believe the problem from before was failing to ensure the end of the sear was in the correct location (resting on the cylinder frame, not within the slot).

In any case, I'll be heading out to the range to do some site in and try different pellets types/weights.

I shall now indulge in a shot of Fireball to celebrate !!!