Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:58 am 

Hey guys, I know some of you may be thinking what the heck am I doing trying to throw more $$ into a $100 air rifle, when the scope & mount on it cost more than the gun itself :roll: ! But I would! Its a trusty airgun, over 3000 pellets, roughly 11.5 fpe.... but TWANGY. I wan't to know if there is something I can get to help reduce it without the twang?....

I'm a little skeptical of throwing my Trails NP/piston/end cap in there if its just going to bend the cocking arm. That would obviously help the twang. If anyone can help & reassure my unsure-ness of the Trails NP in it, if they have done it. Or is the Phantoms cocking lever just too weak for the constant & consistent resistance when a NP is cocked compared to a spring.

My Trail is comatose until further notice. Thats why I may donate its broken-in NP & nice thumbhole to my trusty Phantom.

I'm only asking because I cannot do any maching myself for tighter guides etc.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:39 am 

You could try a piston sleeve. They are easy to make low tech. Also, I've had really good luck upsizing guides with heat shrink tubing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:39 am 

Mulby wrote:
You could try a piston sleeve. They are easy to make low tech. Also, I've had really good luck upsizing guides with heat shrink tubing.

I have not heard that suggested in a long time and your right it works great .....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:58 am 

Try this http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/ind ... pic=8330.0.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:03 pm 

You have to sign in and make an account for that link to work.

try this one same kind of idea
http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/ind ... ic=49233.0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:39 pm 

Thanks a lot guys for helping out guys! I went by what someone else did, use aluminum. Fitted inside of the piston and around the spring guide, tossed 3 pennies in there AND now it feels & sounds so smooth!! Although, I'm taking the pennies out, to make it less harsh. This mod turned the accurate, twangy phantom into a smooth, fine shooter.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:47 pm 

I used some brass shim stock from NAPA for a piston sleeve. Completely took all the twang away along with some stainless washers. Honda Moly paste, some deburring here and there along with some quick polishing and it's good enough for me. Benji Classic 22 btw.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:49 pm 

M3ga3T wrote:
Thanks a lot guys for helping out guys! I went by what someone else did, use aluminum. Fitted inside of the piston and around the spring guide, tossed 3 pennies in there AND now it feels & sounds so smooth!! Although, I'm taking the pennies out, to make it less harsh. This mod turned the accurate, twangy phantom into a smooth, fine shooter.

Just keep an eye out for the aluminum sleeve. It will break up after awhile. That's why I threw a brass shim stock sleeve in.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:01 pm 

Alright thanks, any machining for that? Aluminum is pretty thin, any more durable & lower tech ways? I just rolled some aluminum like one guy did with plastic over the spring guide, spring end guide (idk correct term) and inside piston. Completely changed my Phantom!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:34 pm 

No machining. I just rolled the brass around a rake handle and cut/filed to size to fit inside the piston. I experimented with plastic/aluminum and heard about brass shim stock so I gave it a try. Works great. No wear visible. I used the heaviest gauge that came with the shim stock if that helps. Just wear some leather gloves to prevent blood loss. :wink: My spring guide fits very tight so I didn't have to use any heat shrink but Mulby has the answer for that. :) Tons of great people on here with a ton of knowledge.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:49 am 

Sweet thanks I'll look into that tomorrow! Hopefully my Home Hardware has it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:09 am 
Supporting Member 2009

M3ga3T wrote:

Make sure you leave at least one penny or wassher in there. If you made little tabs to hold the guide under the spring awasher keeps them from getting chewed up.

I made my first few out of brass shim stock, then one out of aluminium flashing. I found the brass worked better. The aluminium felt softer (obviously) and would have caused some drag/friction on the spring. I never ended up installing it because the new spring I installed at the same time was fatter than the original Phantom spring and didn't fit in the piston. Too bad, it was my third and best yet LOL

Mulby wrote:

I have been hearing about the heat shrink for years, since the Slavia's where really popular (back when Home Hardware carried them). I have been wanting to try it, maybe this week. My only question was how long it holds up? I would imagine they would get shreded up a bit over time by the spring. How long would one expect the heat shrink to last?
Either way, I will still try it, easy enough to do and easy to remove.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:12 am 

It took some experimenting, but when done right, outlasts the spring.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:02 pm 

Alright, thanks for the advice. I luckily did leave a penny in there. But will look for, is it called 'brass shim stock'? Sorry I've just never seen it before..... hmmm, is this the stuff people use sometimes to shim the breeches in say like Crosmans/Benjamins? I thought I seen a pic before that looked like brass square shims on both sides?