Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:39 pm 

I am a newbie,
I have a Ruger Blackhawk.
I dismantled part of the gun to oil some parts.
I can't replace / slide the safety back into place because a part is set diagonally inside and won't straighten out.
The metal diagonal part is spring loaded and should be in the middle of the plastic safety part.

I found a drawing schematic which identifies the parts as # 106, 107 & 108,, no names.

I tried to find a repair manual on the world wide web "Google" without success.

After a number of hours playing with this,,, I figured there is a magical sequence or tool to fix it.

Can anyone provide me a little guidance...

many thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:56 pm 

hi, welcome

i had the same issue when i tried to put back the ruger airhawk together, the safety just wouldn't go in, like yours, that diagonal part was at an angle instead of straight, had to set it up straight using a small screwdriver, then pushed the safety in, took a couple of tries, but did go in without too too much effort, hope that helps

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:03 pm 

I had exactly the same issue with my Airhawk. I used a thin piece of spring steel to hold it to one side. I did find an easier way but cant remember how. It,s been a couple year,s since I iook the trigger apart. Probably for that reason.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:10 pm 

Thanks for those tips guyz; it is exactly what I tried to doing.
Ok, I'll keep trying and I wont give up.

Is a "repair manual" available out there?

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:20 pm 

I too had the same problem putting the safety back in. You need more hands to hold that part straight while putting the safety in. You will get it if you keep messing with it.

Harry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:34 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Make sure gun is not loaded (obviously)
Pull trigger and hold. Under the piece you are trying to straighten there is another piece perpendicular to it that is putting pressure on the part in question.
With the trigger being held use a small screw driver or similar long skinny tool and push down on the part putting pressue on the tab you are trying to straighten, then while still pushing down, try and center the piece with the shaft of your screwdriver.
Can't remember, but I think once you have pushed the bottom part down you might be able to release the trigger and use two hands and a second screwdriver to align the tab. Once it is about centered slide in your safety, I thnk you have a bit of room to play with.

(sorry for the terrible instructions, long day)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:48 pm 

Thanks for that bit!

I've tried a combination of techniques including what you have described; I had noticed that the mechanism seems looser when the trigger is depressed.

I've ordered a mod for my gun (unrelated) and will be tinkering once the part arrives.

Again, many thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:44 pm 

I solved my problem (for now).

Really a simple fix that required patience, a steady hand while holding your breath,,, ( ha ha )

I don't think forcing parts into place is a good fix; too easy to break / bend parts or scoring the housing or parts which could affect the performance of the gun. ( now or later).

I removed the retainer pins and slid out the entire trigger assembly while keeping pressure on the piston spring. Mine is a sub 500 and I was able to control the pressure from the big spring with ease(no tools required). It only protruded about 1 inch from the cylindrical housing once free.
I now have the entire trigger mechanism off the rifle for ease of viewing and study.
I then slid the inner sleeve off the trigger assembly which provided full access and view to the parts in question.
I ensure to hold and prevent the lower - small pins holding the trigger mechanism from sliding out.
I removed the black nut under the mechanism; it will fall out anyways.
I removed the 1/2 moon spring retainer and the spring from the top side of the trigger assembly.
I removed the metal "U" part/piece that was not sitting in a vertical position in the dead center of the cylinder and that was preventing the plastic safety part / slider back into place.
I placed the "U" part into the safety slider and placed it into the top of the trigger housing.
I replaced the 1/2 moon retainer clip into the slot; note an indent (dot) on one side and a raised point on the opposite side. The raised point will hold one end of the spring in place.
I replaced the two main pins though the trigger mechanism / housing; these will go through the trigger casing, the plastic safety slide piece and the "U" part. Ensure to place them perfectly straight in order to allow the two pins to slide through easily those layers; these will be remove and replaced again.
At this point, the slider should move freely forward and backwards; careful not to pull it completely out or you will be required to undertake the last few steps over again.
Now, I placed one end of the spring into the "U" part and the other end slides over and onto the 1/2 moon retainer; careful that this spring doesn't fly away into the abyss !!! A fifteen minute fix that can take an hour or more if the spring becomes a projectile that is completely camouflaged into the clutter around your work shop.
Retrieve the black inner sleeve and slide it carefully onto the trigger housing while removing one main pin at a time; again replace the pins making sure that the pins slide easily directly through the layers of the trigger housing.

Now take a deep breath,,, depress the piston back and slide the trigger housing into the main rifle cylinder while removing one pin at a time. You must keep it all straight so that the main pins can be reinstalled; replace the pin closest to the piston to lock it into place and also remove the tension of it's spring.
Reinstall the other pin. Replace the end cap onto the safety push / pull tab.

The parts in question of the Ruger Blackhawk are identified as numbers 106, 107 and 108 on a schematic I found on line. ( no part names provided ) Because I am a newbie and not familiar with this format, I am unable to attach a copy of the schematic or attach photos of the breakdown and fix. (I invite anyone to provide me a little guidance with attachments and finer techniques of this medium )

Recommendation from this newbie: Do not remove / slide out the plastic safety tab / plunger; I think you can oil the area in question without removing it.

I hope this can help anyone in the same situation.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:00 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

You should have tried my way, 30 seconds and your done.
I try not to take a trigger apart unless I absolutely have to. But that's just me :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:03 pm 

Thanks to everyone for all your input.

I have to admit that a person with considerable experience with guns was showing me how to oil my rifle. He pulled out the safety mechanism which "triggered" my problem. We spent close to an hour trying to reassemble - forcing things in the slot; I took the hands off method and let my mentor show me how it should be done.

Finally, I took all the pieces home for the fix. I did learn quite a bit.

Isn't that why we have big brothers?

Merry Christmas to all,,

Gates.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:03 pm 

When taking apart my airhawk, I also made the same error of taking out the safety. I had one heck of a time putting it back together, once I thought I had it in place I found the piston rod wouldn't latch. Turns out I had put the darn plates in the wrong order.

A useful resource for the T05 trigger (bottom of page) found in a guide for the Diana 48:
http://home.comcast.net/~scot_for_sale/ ... index.html

:drinkers:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:39 pm 

Many thanks for the information and the link.
I will use it in the restoration of my Blackhawk.

I owe you one