Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:01 pm 

took the 500x apart tonight, wasn't the smoothest operation i did :roll: , almost took my eye out

the barrel screw was a B...h to unscrew, the little guy behind the main screw was on there pretty tight

i included two pics for your opinion;

specifically the trigger block assembly that came apart, i put back together best i could, there is a little spring that came out of the trigger block, i think it goes under the sear, and in the back, anyway that is where i put it, i'm thinking Duke could answer that one

a pic of the top of the piston, there is a hole that doesn't lead anywhere, should i fill it or not, would it be worth a reasonable performance gain i.e. increase fps by 30...... before disassembly, it was shooting 416 fps on average

Attachments:
File comment: spring that IMO, goes where it is shown on the pic
IMG_1873.JPG
IMG_1873.JPG [ 106.6 KiB | Viewed 477 times ]
sear 1 1.JPG
sear 1 1.JPG [ 105.88 KiB | Viewed 477 times ]
piston.JPG
piston.JPG [ 360.77 KiB | Viewed 477 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:04 pm 

My first thought is plugging the dimple won't help anything, and if the plug falls out it would make a right mess.
My second thought is, just JB Weld it and see what improvement you get. If none, then scrape it out. If it does improve significantly, then try for a permanent plug. If you "weld" it over with an actual weld you may warp the piston, not good. Or you could drill and tap for a setscrew and loctite it in place. :drinkers:

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:12 pm 

x2 on tapping and loctiting a setscrew.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:37 pm 

well, first project of the winter complete, take apart, tune a bit, re-lube and put back together the 500x

thx to the Dukemeister who provided the tune and re-assembly documents applicable to this rifle, i was able to put it back together without too much grief, this gun has quite the trigger system, its somewhat of a B..ch to put back together

was a pretty good shooter pre-tune, shooting at an average of 416, the ES would vary from groups to groups, about 20 to 30, however, the cocking was pretty squeaky, sounded like my grandmother in her rocking chair, the barrel would have to be snapped hard to close

post tune, it shoots at an average of 475, the ES is 18, and this is repeatable group after group, cocking is very smooth and quiet, barrel closes very smoothly

so took it apart, cleaned the inside of the action, this went pretty fast as it had very little lube in there, and what was there was quite dry, took the trigger apart, polished 3 parts, put a bit of moly on the newly polished sears, took the adjustment screw out, and drilled a countersink so the screw goes deeper and actually adjust something, put it back on the rifle, lubed the piston and spring, lubed the barrel washers, took about 50 shots to get her going good, was a bit apprehensive to tinker with this one, was good, did not want to make it bad.....so i'm glad i did :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:49 am 

update...

after shooting it a few times, i did not like the trigger at all, it became much harder to pull and worst then pre-tuned, i could feel all the parts moving when i pulled it

so took the trigger assembly apart again, cleaned everything up, re-polished all contact surfaces, i realized that the parts are put together in a laminate fashion and by evening them out, i created more contact surface, and therefore more friction, so i polished them down slightly so a single laminate making contact with another, and not all of them together, i generously molied the contact points and also the inner housing, outer parts of the sears, as well as the pins

the result is a darn smooth and very easy pull, i had to unscrew the adjustment, was a bit too hairlike, its outstanding now, and i love it :D