Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Mineral Oil
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:21 pm 

While cleaning out my linen closet I found a bottle of mineral oil.
Can I use it on my airguns? I seem to remember it can be used as springer chamber oil.

Post subject: Re: Mineral Oil
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:23 pm 

Definitely not.
Silicone oil for chamber lube if you must, but modern springers with synthetic seals don't need chamber lube.

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:26 pm 

Quote:
SureShot wrote
While cleaning out my linen closet I found a bottle of mineral oil.
Can I use it on my airguns? I seem to remember it can be used as springer chamber oil.

As above, a resounding NO!
Definition: A mineral oil is any of various colorless, odorless, light mixtures of alkanes in the C15 to C40 range from a non-vegetable (mineral) source, particularly a distillate of petroleum. The name mineral oil by itself is imprecise, having been used to label many specific oils over the past few centuries. Other names, similarly imprecise, include white oil, liquid paraffin, and liquid petroleum.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:02 pm 

When I used to own Webly pistols the owners manual instructed that mineral oil was to be used for internal lubrication, however the piston seal in those guns was not leather or synthetic rubber but a hard plastic of some sort.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:25 pm 

as all my seal are petrolem proof ,,
t'l many years ,i use mineral oil on everything i had ,and for every use i need ,
as mineral oil dont frost or came sticky in the cold winter ,
for powder burner and trapp stuf etc,,,

target man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:42 pm 

GarthThomas wrote:
When I used to own Webly pistols the owners manual instructed that mineral oil was to be used for internal lubrication, however the piston seal in those guns was not leather or synthetic rubber but a hard plastic of some sort.

Thought Webleys have steel piston rings....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:57 pm 

Quote:
GarthThomas

Quote:
target man

As I understand it this not so much of a problem with seals. The problem is that mineral oil is a petroleum product which can make nice detonation in SPRINGERS resulting in some damage. I'm not sure why Webley recommends it as a lubricant. Perhaps the Webley pistols do not generate too much pressure since their muzzle velocities are low.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:18 pm 

i'm not saying you should use mineral oil, in fact, you probably shouldn't

but just food for thought :drinkers:

when i did not have moly back in July, i stopped at a specialty store, and the owner talked me into buying his air cylinder lubricant, i used it in the Raven back then, and i put at least one tin thru it

i took the gun apart again 2 days ago and redid the trigger lube thing with Moly, cause i botched it the first time, but the internals which i had lubed with the air cylinder stuff, has remained the same, i did take a look, looks brand new, even looks a little dry but still good, so i left it as is, i chronied it again tonight, shoots an average of 526 with an ES of only 6 with JSB RS, and no dieseling whatsoever, its kinda hard to imagine the gun could shoot anymore consistent, or get anymore speed, after all, it is non PAL, cheap, made in China POS, i will probably not use the air cylinder stuff again, but its a good back up IMO(for what its worth)

i guess what i'm saying is;

its best to listen to people who knows this stuff, but it doesn't mean there are absolutely no other possibilities, just saying

......peace......

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:58 pm 

rav wrote:
Quote:
GarthThomas

Quote:
target man

As I understand it this not so much of a problem with seals. The problem is that mineral oil is a petroleum product which can make nice detonation in SPRINGERS resulting in some damage. I'm not sure why Webley recommends it as a lubricant. Perhaps the Webley pistols do not generate too much pressure since their muzzle velocities are low.

probably ??? i dont know
i only own pumpers
and never had any springer and dont plan on having one one day :lol:

target man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:55 pm 

Thanks for all the replies guys. I guess I'll have to find another use for my mineral oil, maybe out in the garage.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:39 am 

Just, ckecked my older Tempest and Hurricane and both manuals say to use mineral oil, I wonder if thier WebOil is just mineral oil!
Agreed I would not use it on any other guns

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:47 pm 

Quote:
SureShot wrote
I guess I'll have to find another use for my mineral oil, maybe out in the garage.

Good news is that mineral oil repels moisture and preserves steel surfaces against rust. Bad news is that Wikipedia says that (quote) “the World Health Organization classifies untreated or mildly treated mineral oils as Group 1 carcinogens to humans; highly refined oils are classified as Group 3, meaning they are not suspected to be carcinogenic but available information is not sufficient to classify them as harmless”.

Personally, I’d stay away from it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:45 am 

Webley and oil......the plan is to use 1 drop or 2...not to drown it in oil...some used leather seal others, the target version used bronze rings sometime 1 sometimes 2 you just never know whats in there till you get it apart....I've seen a Senior spring come out in 6 pieces from over oiling...KEN.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:20 am 

Don't mean to drag on the point but my Tempest and Hurricane both had synthetic piston seals that were similar to acetal.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:32 am 

rav wrote:
Quote:
SureShot wrote
I guess I'll have to find another use for my mineral oil, maybe out in the garage.

Good news is that mineral oil repels moisture and preserves steel surfaces against rust. Bad news is that Wikipedia says that (quote) “the World Health Organization classifies untreated or mildly treated mineral oils as Group 1 carcinogens to humans; highly refined oils are classified as Group 3, meaning they are not suspected to be carcinogenic but available information is not sufficient to classify them as harmless”.

Personally, I’d stay away from it.

But this mineral oil is sold in the baby care aisle of Shoppers Drugmart. How can it be harmful?

I'll just save it for cleaning the exterior of my airguns. Minimizing the possibility of rust.
Couldn't I use it to lubricate metal moving parts like trigger mechanisms?