Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Mineral Oil
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:18 pm 

SureShot wrote:
rav wrote:
Quote:
SureShot wrote
I guess I'll have to find another use for my mineral oil, maybe out in the garage.

Good news is that mineral oil repels moisture and preserves steel surfaces against rust. Bad news is that Wikipedia says that (quote) “the World Health Organization classifies untreated or mildly treated mineral oils as Group 1 carcinogens to humans; highly refined oils are classified as Group 3, meaning they are not suspected to be carcinogenic but available information is not sufficient to classify them as harmless”.

Personally, I’d stay away from it.

But this mineral oil is sold in the baby care aisle of Shoppers Drugmart. How can it be harmful?

I'll just save it for cleaning the exterior of my airguns. Minimizing the possibility of rust.
Couldn't I use it to lubricate metal moving parts like trigger mechanisms?

your right its not highly radio active
my gun didnt know it and dont need chimioterapy :lol: :lol: ,,

it used in a lot of stuff ,,sure its not real good ,like heal canada tolerated alot of bad stuff for us
but don't drink it ,and don't swim in it,
and it might not be more damagable than the lead you shoot
i discover it for being efective in very low temperature
for trigger close to dry lube ,i could find better ,whit no smell
and that no smell is very good for trapping lur etc,,

target man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:38 pm 

Quote:
SureShot wrote
But this mineral oil is sold in the baby care aisle of Shoppers Drugmart. How can it be harmful?

That’s what I wrote before citing Wikipedia: “the World Health Organization classifies untreated or mildly treated mineral oils as Group 1 carcinogens to humans; highly refined oils are classified as Group 3, meaning they are not suspected to be carcinogenic but available information is not sufficient to classify them as harmless”.
Mineral oil sold commercially is, as I understand it, classified as Group 3 oil which means who knows? It may or may not be carcinogenic. For a number of years asbestos was classified as a benign mineral. Now everyone who was directly exposed to asbestos is six feet under. If you need a multipurpose lubricant and rust preservative for your guns use Ballistol (Ballistol.ca). It’s been in the service of German armies in two world wars. It also preserves genuine leather and wood. It even heals small skin wounds (I tested it and it works). So what else would you need?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:51 pm 

rav wrote:
Quote:
SureShot wrote

That’s what I wrote before citing Wikipedia: “the World Health Organization classifies untreated or mildly treated mineral oils as Group 1 carcinogens to humans; highly refined oils are classified as Group 3, meaning they are not suspected to be carcinogenic but available information is not sufficient to classify them as harmless”.
Mineral oil sold commercially is, as I understand it, classified as Group 3 oil which means who knows? It may or may not be carcinogenic. For a number of years asbestos was classified as a benign mineral. Now everyone who was directly exposed to asbestos is six feet under. If you need a multipurpose lubricant and rust preservative for your guns use Ballistol (Ballistol.ca). It’s been in the service of German armies in two world wars. It also preserves genuine leather and wood. It even heals small skin wounds (I tested it and it works). So what else would you need?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistol

''Ballistol (meaning 'Ballistic Oil') is a mineral oil-based chemical ''

target man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:11 pm 

Quote:
target man wrote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistol
''Ballistol (meaning 'Ballistic Oil') is a mineral oil-based chemical ''

Ballistol doesn’t contain petroleum products so it’s hard to define it as “mineral-oil based”. Something confusing in this wikipedia piece. On the contrary, it is medicinal oil based (anise oil). The most important thing is that for the last 110 years or so nobody has ever found that it has any harmful effects.

http://www.firehawktech.com/Ballistol/index.html
User Safety & the Environment
Most general lubricants and corrosion inhibitors and most gun oils and gun cleaners contain rather aggressive chemicals. They contain substances such as Teflon (PTFE), silicone, tar, trichloroethane or tetrachloroethylene, which are all listed cancer causing agents. Or they contain petroleum, kerosene, benzene or chlorinated paraffins, all of which are toxic ('harmful or fatal if swallowed') for warm-blooded organisms and fish. Some are 'skin and eye irritants'. Others emit toxic vapors. Very few are biodegradable. Ballistol does not contain anything known to cause cancer. Ballistol is non-toxic for warm-blooded and aquatic organisms. Ballistol meets the criteria of the Federal Trade Commission for the claim of biodegradability and Ballistol sprays do not contain any CFCs.
The Odor of Ballistol
Ballistol has a distinct odor. It comes from a medicinal oil contained in it, which is called Anethole. Anethole is derived from a plant called Pimpinella Anisum L. The odor fades away after approximately 20-30 minutes of contact with the air. After approximately 60 minutes Ballistol becomes a practically tasteless and odorless substance. Ballistol has been approved by the USDA for use in the Federally Regulated Meat and Poultry Industry in areas with no direct contact with food. Some people like the odor of Ballistol, some don’t. Just like beauty is in the eye of the beholder likewise, what is a good or bad odor, is in the nose of the sniffer - so to speak. If you like the smell of licorice, anise cookies, Uzo, Pernot or Aguardiente you will probably also like the smell of Ballistol.
Ballistol has been around for over 90 years. Three generations of hunters, shooters, outdoorsmen and soldiers have tested this product. They may not all have liked its odor but they sure found it to be the best!
Warning: Although Ballistol has been engineered not only to be a gun oil but also to serve as a medicinal drug and in spite of the fact that it is approved and used in Germany for veterinary and human medicinal applications, Ballistol is not approved as a medicinal drug in the USA. Therefore, do not use Ballistol as a medicinal drug! Ballistol is not for human or animal consumption.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:25 pm 

Now I understand this piece in Wikipedia.
The MSDS sheet for Ballistol says:
Contents
Ballistol contains medicinal grade mineral oil, alkaline salts of oleic acid, several alcohols, Benzyl Acetate and an oil from vegetal seeds. The mineral oil is unchlorinated and conforms to the specifications of US Pharmacopeia XX.

So indeed it contains MEDICINAL grade mineral oil. That means that oil doesn’t contain any harmful by-products of the distillation of petroleum. That’s the one used for baby stuff and against constipation (!). :wink:

Post subject: Mineral Oil
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:11 pm 

Wait a minute, aren't baby and mineral oil the same?
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386551492.169863.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386551492.169863.jpg [ 135.58 KiB | Viewed 434 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:22 am 

SureShot wrote:

I'll just save it for cleaning the exterior of my airguns. Minimizing the possibility of rust.
Couldn't I use it to lubricate metal moving parts like trigger mechanisms?

I use mineral oil for the wooden stocks, because I use that to polish my swords and sword's scabbard (wood), so the rifle's stock is about the same theory. Polishing them with mineral oil will help to shine them and bring out the grains more too. I don't see why it cannot be good for external use. Internally, that is really specifically up to whatever gun you are working with, so that's hard to say,... but externally, I don't see why it is a problem though.