Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: ruger airhawk project
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:10 pm 

hi all

purchased a receiver and barrel(bare bones) as well as a trigger assembly for project airhawk, this requires a complete tear down to move to a transplant procedure, took it all apart today, as you can see from the pics;

the piston seal shows burning on the outer edge, there must have either dieseling or detonation at one point in its life, after cleanup, it look good, no damage or scratches

the trigger shows extensive wear but most importantly, an attempt at tuning as i found the distinctive grey color of honda moly, also the outer plastic casing of the trigger is cracked in several places

in my case, it was necessary to replace the barrel and receiver as its showing bad machining, resulting in a wobbly barrel, the breach opening on the receiver side is also uneven

Attachments:
piston seal.JPG
piston seal.JPG [ 82.75 KiB | Viewed 768 times ]
air hawk apart.JPG
air hawk apart.JPG [ 113.82 KiB | Viewed 768 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:18 pm 

well, after much waiting for the parts, tonight, i was finally ready to re-assemble the ruger, complete transplant !!!

purchased a mint condition receiver and barrel...thank you edholton

purchased a brand new, still sealed in its plastic bag, trigger assembly...thank you marshman

the hardest parts of this, was removing and putting back the stupid little C-clip holding the pin between the cocking arm and the breach block, the rest was just about bolting stuff together, cleaning the inside and on with the moly

the power plant was inconsistent, and the barrel was bent upward and to the left, also quite wobbly, accuracy was all over the place, could not get this gun to group for more then 5 shots before the POI would go completely somewhere else, and then come back

after the surgery, the barrel closes rock solid, no wobble whatsoever, and the power plant is now more consistent, here's a few numbers before and after;

pre surgery; 950, 952, 925, 958, 959, ES = 34, using crosman pointed pellets 7.4 grains

post surgery; 875, 872, 878, 875, 867, ES = 11, using JSB diabolo exact 8.44 grains

so more consistency, and a straight and a solid closing barrel, can't wait to scope and shoot it for accuracy, will have to wait till next spring, but i think its project complete :D

Attachments:
side by side.JPG
side by side.JPG [ 170.45 KiB | Viewed 651 times ]
ruger complete.JPG
ruger complete.JPG [ 133.57 KiB | Viewed 651 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:23 pm 

Nice work! Those kind of projects are fun. Except HW makes it harder than it should be :x

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:28 pm 

thx

you would think that HW's and Tx's wouldn't need any work done to them

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:47 pm 

Not true...kind of. Anything mass produced can be improved on. But then again, they don't need much work and are perfectly fine as is. It's more of a choice to strip it down and give it your own lube etc than having to strip it to do your work. Like for my crosman phantom had to get stripped and cleaned etc. Once again though, great work! These projects are fun, especially when you can't shoot outside. Last night I opened 2 tins of pellets to wash and lube them, that was fun for me!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:41 pm 

i come to expect work to be done on cheapos, and expect close to none on known quality products

i did the Ruger as it showed signs of a hard life, as well as a few incidents, and would simply not shoot straight, although i can't test it at the moment, unlike before, everything looks and works right, so i'm expecting good results from this gun, the alternative was to leave in the parts bin....and i really hate that :(

this rifle was supposed to be a PAL holdover till i get a Diana next spring, i ended up having 2 months of disappointing results with it, so it became a winter project, and you're right, it is fun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:52 pm 

Hehe, that's what I meant. Anyone could live without ever tearing into their tx/hw, they would still be top notch shooters. But nosey people like me just want to do it :lol: And nice! What Diana are you going for? I want a 460 or 350 to settle my curiosity for a premium Magnum Springer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:40 pm 

i'm going for a 34 in 177, with a TO6 trigger if at all possible

i considered a magnum, even in other brands, but kinda got away from that idea, the common philosophy is that a pellet travelling that fast, maybe be unstable...or so they say :)