Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: project model 61
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:24 pm 

greetings

i know i posted a similar thread on the ruger airhawk, i'm just showing my winter projects, and will update from these posts when i make progress

bought this model industry brand model 61 from "hacked2pieces" as my main winter project, i intend to rebuild it, now that i know what i'm looking at, this is what i plan to do on it;

1-swap the piston seal to synthetic, if i can find a replacement that fits
2-hone the compression chamber
3-strip and re-blue the externals once i take out the rust
4-install a weaver rail on top of the receiver
5-put a small muzzle break to hide the hole the front sight will leave once removed

i don't have to do anything with the stock, hacked already took care of it and did a good job

in taking this gun apart, i found the similarities between this model and the chinese Winchester 500x striking, same design ideas, the 500x has just a more modern twist to it;

i chronied the 61 to 550 fps, so it was shooting strong, will be interesting to see how fast she will shoot once completed

its lightly rusted, the rifling is barely visible, the breach seal is flat, and the piston is in not too bad of a shape, except for the leather protruding a little bit in the back, so there won't be a ton a work to do to it.

i took a pic of the piston measurement, not sure what size seal i need, it seems to be between 25 and 26 mm, i would go for 25 to account for expansion out of the tube, maybe someone can shed light on that, i included pics

Attachments:
model 61.JPG
model 61.JPG [ 124.57 KiB | Viewed 576 times ]
piston mod 61.JPG
piston mod 61.JPG [ 96.77 KiB | Viewed 576 times ]
seal close.JPG
seal close.JPG [ 99.38 KiB | Viewed 576 times ]

Post subject: Re: project model 61
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:32 am 

Looks like fun.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:49 am 

Well, 25.4mm is 1.0". So is that a stck of leather seals? I know jack about springers!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:21 am 

no clue if its standard or not, I sent an email to airgun source with a sku from a piston seal they have, it is said to replace leather seals for 25 mm, it comes with its own screw, but also says that you can use the one that came with the gun if it doesn't fit, gave them the brand and model number, hopefully they sold this to other customers and can advise

since the diameter is closer to 25, I'm betting its the right seal replacement for that particular model

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:22 pm 

Hello...........I don't think your going to end up with a lot more FPS by using a synthetic piston seal over the oiled leather.....might even find you get less.....best to check the cyl bore cond first.....sometimes these cheap guns have larger dia at the breech end where its fitted together......if so leather is your best option......KEN.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:57 pm 

update

received the synthetic seal, its pretty much a bolt on unit, the screw included bolts right in the original hole, the seal fits in the compression tube pretty even with very little room to spare, so maybe once lubed, it will be a perfect fit, i'm wondering if 26 mm would not be a tighter fit without being too big, but i'll have to judge that once i get down to it

Ken, ya i considered that, i'm willing to sacrifice a bit of speed for consistency

Attachments:
bolt on.JPG
bolt on.JPG [ 162.09 KiB | Viewed 407 times ]
pre seal.JPG
pre seal.JPG [ 134.75 KiB | Viewed 407 times ]
compare seal.JPG
compare seal.JPG [ 151.37 KiB | Viewed 407 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:09 pm 

and the compared measurement

Attachments:
seal measure.JPG
seal measure.JPG [ 165.83 KiB | Viewed 405 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:30 pm 

Curious to see how she turns out ;) I did nothing to the internals on her (just lubed I think?) just purdied her up with the wood work on the stock lol