Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:15 am 

Hey fellas,

I wish to remove the automatic safety on my Diana 24 because I'm planning to put a rear peep sight on it. They safety gets in the way.

Is this easy or even possible to do? I haven't take the rifle apart yet so I'm not familiar with the design.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:49 am 

Hi there!

I have a Diana 24 from 1988 (don't know if it's the same type as yours, with the metal safety in the back). I've just went through it from top to bottom, and to answer your question, it's a yes, you can take it off. You shouldn't take it off (it's there for a reason), but you can if you want to.

You need to take the stock off, and disassemble the compressor (the safety is attached to the trigger mount which is part of the spring stop. The safety is just a metal piece that stops the second stage of the trigger, and it's kept in place by a single pin. If you take it off it will all came out.

Once again, you shouldn't take it off. Just find another way to mount the peep sight (with a lateral fitting for example). It takes a bit of creativity but everything is possible.

Cheers

GCA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:23 pm 

Trying to figure out how it's getting in the way. I've had the Williams and Anschutz on my 24 and neither were in the way. What sight are you using?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:49 am 

Here's a picture to clarify. The safety tab is not easily accessible. You kind of have to go around it. Also, moving the sight back won't do much because unlike there isn't enough rail to securely clamp the sight to (especially on a springer).

Attachments:
Diana sight problem.png
Diana sight problem.png [ 62.23 KiB | Viewed 301 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:04 am 

So that's a photoshop of a sight. I would still like to know what kind of sight you will be using that will be in the way.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:12 pm 

It's an HW-made aperture sight. My illustration shows the problem in the sense that the rear portion of the sight is blocking my access to the safety tab.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:15 pm 

GCA wrote:
Hi there!

I have a Diana 24 from 1988 (don't know if it's the same type as yours, with the metal safety in the back). I've just went through it from top to bottom, and to answer your question, it's a yes, you can take it off. You shouldn't take it off (it's there for a reason), but you can if you want to.

You need to take the stock off, and disassemble the compressor (the safety is attached to the trigger mount which is part of the spring stop. The safety is just a metal piece that stops the second stage of the trigger, and it's kept in place by a single pin. If you take it off it will all came out.

Once again, you shouldn't take it off. Just find another way to mount the peep sight (with a lateral fitting for example). It takes a bit of creativity but everything is possible.

Cheers

GCA

Thanks! The safety tabs on the newer ones are plastic. I'm not sure if the internal mechanisms have changed though.