Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:27 pm 

First off, thanks everyone for the very kind words...I really didn't expect all the great responses!.. :oops: :oops: :oops:

AirGunEric wrote:
Nice build.

One question, however, why the extended valve front? This was designed, I understood, for use on a 2260 tube to move the seals past the etching/stamping- i.e. not applicable for the Disco tube.

True, it was designed for the 2260 roll stamp issue, but it also works great to eliminate the restrictive gauge block the Disco normally uses (i.e - seals just forward of the gauge port). All I had to do was drill/tap the extended valve front 1/8" NPT to mount the gauge. This way I not only gain extra airflow into the valve due to the larger passage, but I no longer have to worry about trying to slide the three o-rings (2 on valve front, 1 on rear of gauge block) past the gauge hole and shredding them... :wink:

And no, I can't take credit for the idea :oops:...I borrowed that one out of Bob's bag of tricks... :mrgreen: . He's done a few like that and I really liked the idea, but I can't whip one up like he does so I just picked a couple up from Joe.

EDIT: Never mind my reply...Bob beat me to it! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:12 pm 

Ace wrote:
TriggerHappy416 wrote:
Nice work. How durable is the bondo?

Bondo is very durable heck they've been using it for automotive body repairs for years, stuff turns almost as hard as rock but the best part is you can sand it and work it to your liking. :D

The thing with bondo is you have to mix the hardener properly or it will harden to quick or if you use to little hardener it wont harden at all. :wink:

also in case you missed what Todd said above he: "borrowed" an excellent idea from a member on another forum and applied three fairly thick coats of cyan..a..c...??.....Krazy Glue to all Bondo'd parts to seal them and create a hard protective coating.

I agree Ace. It may not be the best medium to use, but so far it "seems" very solid....will let everyone know once it sees some use. Like you said - "hard as rock and sand to your liking"...and it bonds to the ABS stock very well! :drinkers:

I honestly believe coating it in CA glue is a good idea though...don't know that I would trust just straight Bondo with bed spray over top. I put three coats on and then 4 coats of bedliner spray. I've banged it a few times, knocked it off my bench onto the cement floor once :evil: ...no issues yet!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:24 pm 

I agree Todd and i think it should last very well the only thing that may get damaged and i think it would still need some force to do so is the nice thin counting job you did that's under the thumb on the grip, lets face it anything can break if you take a hammer to it :lol:

I don't like bed liner but i must say you did a great job of keeping it all sprayed evenly and not so thick, the gun almost looks like its stock from the factory, ones again supper job man. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:29 pm 

rsterne wrote:
It's a gorgeous piece of work, but what is the LOP, about 18".... The Crosman skeleton stocks are already very long, I'm over 6' and I usually shorten mine.... Love the pistol grip and adjustable cheekpiece, tho....

Bob

Thanks Bob, and you're close...LOP is 17 3/8" and measured from the crook of my arm to pad of my finger is 17 1/4". I may end shortening it by 1/4" - 3/8" once gun is completed and see how it feels, but for now it feels just right.

Told ya I had "ape-like" arms...I hunt geese with a rake! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:38 pm 

Ace wrote:
the only thing that may get damaged and i think it would still need some force to do so is the nice thin counting job you did that's under the thumb on the grip

Ya, I was a little leery on that myself, but I have 3 MK I's here that all have that same thin lip and they are still in perfect shape....and they're plastic!!! So I thought "Why not, it's worth a try!" :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:14 pm 

kelly1 wrote:
You must be huge to need that stock extended that much...kelly

I was just looking at the fit of my hand on the crosman stock. Our Sholo must be a very big chap indeed :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:13 am 

Very nice work.
That's something I may try myself for my 2240 shoulder stock.
Only will need my finger grips on the right side (left hand bolt breech)
But regular side for pistol finger grips, I'm an oddball, i know, ha.

TBark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:56 am 

EverHopeful wrote:
kelly1 wrote:
You must be huge to need that stock extended that much...kelly

I was just looking at the fit of my hand on the crosman stock. Our Sholo must be a very big chap indeed :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No, I wouldn't say big, just tall with large mitts/boots....6' 4.5" (can't forget the ".5"" :lol: ) 204 lbs, 36.5" arm length. Rick (Rrdstarr) is much bigger than me! :wink:

I've always found the Crosman stocks a little thin for my liking...this was the main reason for experimenting and beefing up the stock:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:16 am 
Supporting Member 2013

looks great , most stuff in the grip/but i find is way to small aswell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:28 am 

Todd? Are you making fun of my father being part Orangutan? Well your right. 80" finger tip to tip. 6'5" 50" chest, 36" waist. 36" inseam. So my rifle stocks are 16-17" LOP. Hands are XXL Size 13 gloves. 8 1/8 size hat. so nothing but Tilley hats on my heed! :D

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:58 am 

VERY nice mod! I love that carbine look!