Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:11 am 

I was thinking about my 2240 based target pistol yesterday, and I realised that the biggest problem left with it is loading issues caused by the 22 sized channel in the steel breech. The obvious solution is a completely new breech and bolt sized for 177, plus shortening the barrel to remove the conical loading area, but that's out of my league. Then it occurred to me that it might be possible to sleeve the existing breech for a better fit for 177 pellets. It looks like 1/4" OD brass tube with .030 wall would fit the bill pretty nicely. A couple of options spring to mind - sleeving the entire length of the breech, which means machining out slots for the bolt handle and the hammer pin, or just sleeving a much shorter section - basically the front 1/2 of the loading trough onwards, which would be a much simpler task. The bolt would have to be reduced in diameter, either in part or entirely. If only the front part of breech was sleeved you'd need some way of stopping the sleeve slipping backwards. I was thinking a set screw through the top of the breech just in front of the loading trough would do the trick. The other thought was that there are a few options for the area where the tiny breech screw is: cut a hole the same as the existing one, cut a small hole just big enough for the allen key to go through, cut no hole at all. I like the idea of no hole, since getting pellets hung up on the breech screw is a major pain (I haven't tried the wax idea yet, mostly because I strip the gun down fairly frequently), but it would make disassembly a bit more fiddly. The sleeve would have to come out through the back of the breech before you could access the breech screw. The small hole is probably a good compromise.

Anyone tried something like this?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:50 am 

I swap cal. from one Crosman to the other all the time, the steel breech is the same, and the bolt diameter is the same, it's the probe end of the bolt that is different, so if you had a 1377 lets say, and wanted it 22 cal all you need to do is swap the barrel and bolt. Some older pump guns I have seen have a much larger diameter bolt and lead in on the barrel, all of my 2240/1377 have same diameter barrels and bolts but pump pistol barrel have the crown end machined to fit but not pass through a barrel band. I'm sure you can swap yours no trouble.

hope this helps-Matt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:05 am 
Supporting Member 2009

As Matt indicated, rather diplomatically, you are over-complicating things. Swap in a .177 barrel and bolt and you're in business. If you are also attempting to "tune" it specifically for your particular use, you could also use the transfer port sleeve from a detuned gun and drill it out until you get to the size that works best in your specific application. No re-doing/machining the breech or any other parts would be required.

Please note: I do not conduct business through Private Messages (PM's) in online forums. Please do not send a 'PM" with a business-related question.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:47 pm 

Hi, thanks for the replies. I guess I didn't explain myself very well. I have already converted to 177 - I understand the basics. The issue is that the 1 size fits all steel breech is not ideal for 177 pellets. Shorter pellets can actually fit crosswise in the 22 sized loading area. Because of this very sloppy fit it's common for pellets to get hung up on the way into the 177 barrel, either in the breech screw area or in the conical loading area at the start of the barrel (which is badly machined in all 4 original Crosman barrels I have). A 177 specific breech would make the handling of the guns much better, and a liner seems like the next best option.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:51 pm 

I totally understand where you're coming from, EverHopeful...I converted my 2250 carbine into a 1750 PCP target pistol and have the same issues you speak of. Drives me nuts! :evil:

I'll admit this isn't a very elegant solution, but off the top of my head I suppose you could partly fill in the trough/loading tray with JB Weld (or something similar), then use a 5/32" chainsaw file wrapped in sandpaper (getting progressively finer up to 1000-1500 grit) to shape/size the trough to your liking. Once you are satisfied with it, drill the hole for breech screw (coming up from the bottom of breech), and maybe coat the JB with Krazy/Super glue to give it a hard, slick finish for pellet to ride on.

Only issue you will have by doing this is that your bolt shaft is still 1/4" diameter...would likely have to thin it down as well, at least from just in front of the bolt handle forward...

Good luck in your quest!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:29 pm 

I suppose you could machine a small sleeve and either shrink fit it in with liquid nitrogen, or use some epoxy to hold it in place.

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:34 am 

Hey Todd, that's an interesting idea. I'd be worried about keeping the filed out channel centered though. Rick, you are so out of my league. I'm a make do with a dremel and sandpaper kind of guy, not liquid nitrogen equipped :)

I found an online supplier of brass tube (https://www.onlinemetals.com) and was all set to order some, but their web-site won't accept Ontario as a valid Canadian province. I sent them an email, and hopefully they'll get things sorted out.

Man, I sure wish I had my grandfather's lathe, and milling machine, and drill press, and skill...

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:47 am 

Not sure what part of Ontario you are located, but here's another spot to check out (if you haven't already): http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/stores/ottawa/metals/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:51 pm 

sholo wrote:
Not sure what part of Ontario you are located, but here's another spot to check out (if you haven't already): http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/stores/ottawa/metals/

That's who I get stuff from, when i can't scrounge it from work! Buy stuff by the inch. If they don't have it in store they can get it in a few days. have lots of material online to you can have drop shipped to the store for pick-up.

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:57 pm 

If you have a hobby shop in your area they should have brass tube.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:57 pm 

Awesome! Thanks guys :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:01 pm 

I'm struggling for an appropriate expletive. I'll go with 'gosh', that'll do.

GOSH

So, onlinemetals.com sell 10" of .25 OD, 030 wall brass tube for $1.20, but shipping is expensive at about $22. So I contacted Metal Supermarkets which have a local outlet and asked for a quote with pickup. $48 dollars * tax!!! Gosh. That must be some very fine tube they have there.

OK, plan B. There's bound to be some tube on ebay.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:32 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

None of the "retail" metal suppliers ever have good pricing for a consumer in my experience. Unless someone has an account as a business with them, the prices are typically ridiculous. Similar to auto parts- go to a "trade" oriented parts dealer and you or I will pay a minimum of 30% more than a garage dealing with them. If you have a friend who has a business account with a metals dealer, that would be your best bet.

Please note: I do not conduct business through Private Messages (PM's) in online forums. Please do not send a 'PM" with a business-related question.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:27 pm 

For brass tubing you could try
http://www.greathobbies.com/search/resu ... srchcat=XB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:16 am 

Watertown wrote:

Hi, thanks for the link. Unfortunately it looks like all the K&S tubing that the hobby shops stock is thin walled - 0.014. I thought I saw other wall thickness from K&S somewhere, but I'm struggling to find it now. Made more difficult by the fact that most retailers don't even bother to list the thickness. There is at least some aluminium tube in .035, so I could fall back on that if I can't get brass. At least I'm in no hurry, I'm up to my eyes in sawdust at the moment with my first attempt at making a stock. That should keep me busy for the next couple of weeks at least!

Regards,
Jim