Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:50 am 

Well, I decided to go with online metals, so I tried to think of every piece of rod and tube I might need over the next few years and put an order in :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:27 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:
Watertown wrote:

Hi, thanks for the link. Unfortunately it looks like all the K&S tubing that the hobby shops stock is thin walled - 0.014. I thought I saw other wall thickness from K&S somewhere, but I'm struggling to find it now. Made more difficult by the fact that most retailers don't even bother to list the thickness. There is at least some aluminium tube in .035, so I could fall back on that if I can't get brass. At least I'm in no hurry, I'm up to my eyes in sawdust at the moment with my first attempt at making a stock. That should keep me busy for the next couple of weeks at least!

Regards,
Jim

I should have told you to wait till Monday! I have lots of brass or aluminum, Stainless or steel at work I could send you. Small bits only!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:19 am 

Hi Rick,

thanks for thinking of it! Maybe next time :)

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:44 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:
Well, I decided to go with online metals, so I tried to think of every piece of rod and tube I might need over the next few years and put an order in :)

My order arrived today - can't grumble with that for quick delivery over a wintry weekend. I ordered several pieces as offcuts with random 10 to 12" lengths, all were generously cut. Everything was well packed and the shipping cost didn't seem quite so bad once I had 7+ lbs of metal in my hand. Overall, I'd recommend them as long as you can put together a big enough order to offset the shipping cost. Most of this will go in a corner while the ideas ferment - reckon I have several years worth of fun here :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:01 pm 

Try to find new style breach, it will solve the pellets loading problem. I'm very happy with mine, work flawlessly!

Attachments:
Crosman breach.jpg
Crosman breach.jpg [ 48.72 KiB | Viewed 266 times ]
IMG_7772.JPG
IMG_7772.JPG [ 125.64 KiB | Viewed 266 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:19 pm 

How would the new style breech attach to the body of the gun though? There's no hole on the tube to screw down on. :?

...unless the newer guns moved the breech hole and screw further back?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:28 pm 

I believe its here

Attachments:
IMG_7772.JPG
IMG_7772.JPG [ 37.13 KiB | Viewed 259 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:06 pm 

Ace wrote:
I believe its here

Ace, I meant no corresponding hole tapped on the main tube that would line up with the hole on the newer breech.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:10 pm 

On my 2240 (purchased on 2011) there is two tapped holes, the rear one fits new style breach... Ace is right, screw is under probe.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:25 pm 

Well that would certainly be an improvement. Both the breeches I have are the old style, and I don't actually remember if the tubes have the second hole or not. I'll have to look next time I have the guns apart. It still doesn't solve the problem that the channel is too wide for a 177 pellet, so I think there is still value in trying to sleeve the loading tray. I've just about talked myself into leaving the breech screw out. If I add extra set screws over the barrel and ensure that the barrel is well anchored to the main tube I don't think the breech screw will be contributing much. On the 2240 I have the barrel band right in front of the breech, and on the 1377 I'm planning on an aluminium band that extends from the pump pivot and holds the barrel. I'm not so convinced about that one - have to see how it turns out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:38 am 

I totally get what your saying with the pellet getting stuck on the little screw and having to tilt the gun especially with an extended probe. So i just did this little remedy literally 15min ago with my trusty aluminum tape, now its not as extreme as your plan but it works great no more pellet hang up, if i need to get at the screw just peel the tape off and put another one on, thanks for giving me the idea EverHopeful. :wink:

this is my 2289 backpacker with the extended prob mod.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:36 am 

Great Job Ace!!!! It is a real pisser getting pellets caught in that #4 screw hole!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:37 am 

Nicely done! I hadn't thought of the good ol aluminium tape :) Did you have to take any metal off the bottom of the bolt or was there enough clearance already? That extended probe looks very functional too. I use a Mellonair extended probe, and I noticed that it does make the tendency of some round nosed pellets to tip over worse than with a standard probe. Exact RS seem to be the worst for that - they are very nose heavy. If I get the chance, I'm going to try a through flow probe as i'm guessing they push the pellet more evenly. My end-game is a full length sleeve with a through-flow bolt made out of 3/16 brass rod - should be fun :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:40 am 

Nope did nothing to the bold just measured the peace of tape that was needed used another spare bolt probe to shape the curve of the tape so it would just slide underneath the bolt and that was it works great, hardest part was getting it to slide underneath without sticking to the bottom, i just used a pair of tweezers worked perfect i was actually surprised it worked so well, I'm very happy with this cheap and easy mod. :D

Take a guess what the extended bolt prob was made from :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:04 pm 

Ace wrote:
Take a guess what the extended bolt prob was made from :D

No idea, but the suspense is killing me :)