Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:10 pm 

Its the jet from a disposable lighter the part where the gas flows out. :D

I copied this DIY bolt prob mod that someone did, again simple and effective. 8)
http://www.instructables.com/id/crosman ... ghter-mod/

this pic is mine: :wink:

Attachments:
IMG_0414.JPG
IMG_0414.JPG [ 27.41 KiB | Viewed 371 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:59 pm 

Finally got around to trying this out, and I'm hugely pleased with the results. Nothing short of a transformation of the loading characteristics. I'll try and get some photos together next time I have the pistol apart.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:50 pm 

I got a chance to take some photos this morning :)

Here are the sleeves and the corresponding bolts. The first attempt was the short sleeve on the left with a standard bolt with the front turned down to fit. Second attempt is on the right. Since the sleeve runs the full length I had to make a completely new bolt to go with it.

Attachment:
IMG_7011.jpg
IMG_7011.jpg [ 95.17 KiB | Viewed 300 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_7012.jpg
IMG_7012.jpg [ 93.32 KiB | Viewed 300 times ]

During assembly the sleeves slide back to allow access to the breech screw. With the full length sleeve the breech end cap has to be off to do this, but there's room for the short sleeve to slide back even with the cap in place.

Attachment:
File comment: Sleeves slide back to access the breech screw
IMG_7015.jpg
IMG_7015.jpg [ 85.44 KiB | Viewed 300 times ]

continued in next post...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:54 pm 

Hey!
How big did you ream the breaches, .375 so you can use the original bolts? Giving you a .062 wall thickness on your brass sleeves.

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:00 pm 

...Once the breech screw is tightened the sleeve slides forward with the bolt and is secured with a #4-40 set screw. Front right for the short sleeve, back left for the long one:

Attachment:
File comment: Sleeves secured with set screws
IMG_7016.jpg
IMG_7016.jpg [ 74.86 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]

The sleeves provide a properly sized and unimpeded loading path for the pellets

Attachment:
IMG_7018.jpg
IMG_7018.jpg [ 84.97 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_7019.jpg
IMG_7019.jpg [ 86.91 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]

The full length sleeve & bolt is a lot more work and really doesn't have much advantage over the simpler version. The thought I had in my mind was that a full length sleeve might not need a set screw to hold it in place, in which case it would make a nice upgrade kit for 177 shooters without needing to do any drilling and tapping. It didn't work out with the stock breech end cap - it still tends to rotate and foul the hammer cocking pin. I think you could probably make it work with a custom end cap with a lug to index into the sleeve and stop it rotating. The only real drawback to the much simpler first version is that the place where I put the set screw is obstructed by the barrel, so I had to drill a clearance hole through the barrel as well. If I do another one I plan on making the sleeve long enough to reach just in front of the bolt handle. That would let me put the set screw on the left rear of the loading port (just a little in front of where I put it for the second sleeve), but still be a lot less work than the full length version.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:07 pm 

Hi Rick,

The breeches are original, except for the holes for the set screws. The brass tube is .25" outer diameter, .030 wall which gives an ID that's an easy fit for most 177 pellets. The problem I had was that the one-size-fits-all breeches have a loading channel sized for 22 pellets, so 177 pellets are easily mis-loaded in there. I've even had them get stuck sideways in the loading area :( Even worse, 177 pellets are sitting below the vertical centre line, so if you use an extended probe bolt like I was it lifts the skirts (!!) of the pellets as they move forward, which is the perfect action to get them stuck in the breech screw. I basically couldn't use JSB exacts because of this problem. Now that the sleeves are in everything lines up much better - life is good :)

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:29 pm 

Think I got ya Jim! You turned down the bolt bodies to fit in the sleeve then! I wonder if a drop of pink Loctite would help hold your sleeves. It is easier to take off then blue which is semi-permanent!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:50 pm 

rrdstarr wrote:
Think I got ya Jim! You turned down the bolt bodies to fit in the sleeve then! I wonder if a drop of pink Loctite would help hold your sleeves. It is easier to take off then blue which is semi-permanent!

Yes, exactly. The first one is just turned down ahead of the bolt handle (I didn't do a very good photo of that - my bad), the second is reduced the full length. I had to use a smaller diameter shaft for the bolt handle on that one - I'm not sure how much abuse it will stand up to. Fortunately I use very weak hammer springs on my pistols.

I reckon the Loctite would work well. I must get some of the pink, I had a bit of a problem with the blue when I used it on a bolt handle that was working loose all the time. I barely managed to get that thing out when I needed to. :shock:

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:54 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:
rrdstarr wrote:

Yes, exactly. The first one is just turned down ahead of the bolt handle (I didn't do a very good photo of that - my bad), the second is reduced the full length. I had to use a smaller diameter shaft for the bolt handle on that one - I'm not sure how much abuse it will stand up to. Fortunately I use very weak hammer springs on my pistols.

I reckon the Loctite would work well. I must get some of the pink, I had a bit of a problem with the blue when I used it on a bolt handle that was working loose all the time. I barely managed to get that thing out when I needed to. :shock:

Jim

Yeah just a drop will do! People tend to slather it on!! Just make sure both surfaces are chemically cleaned and you should be fine!

Nice Job, Jim! :D

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:19 pm 

Me, Johnny come lately and noticed this Thread.
Well for years now, people has been complaining about loading 177 into a barrel on a
2240 with steel breech.
One person on another Air Gun Site, 2010 abouts, Piped up, to prevent hanging up on the breech screw and all other
times..Fix is to place a bit of "Bees Wax" at the breech screw head and melt it with a miniature blow-torch(Used for Cigars)
and move the 177 bolt, back and forth to form the "Groove".
Done. Works like a "Charm and no, reinventing the Wheel".

Arsenal..
Kraft Marshmallow Pump and Shoot Rifle.
GoodYear Gatling Gun rubber-band shooter.
PEI Potato PCP Rifle.

Glass ..12" Dobsonian Reflector.
Shooting for the Stars.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:13 pm 

good work Jim :wink:
did you make the bolt handles as well ? 8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:49 pm 

Ace wrote:
good work Jim :wink:
did you make the bolt handles as well ? 8)

Thanks Ace. I did the brass one, the other one is just the stock one that came with the breech. I don't use much brass because it's so expensive, so it's a bit of a treat when I do. It's really nice to work with and it polishes up so nicely. Lovely stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:03 pm 

2240mod wrote:
Me, Johnny come lately and noticed this Thread.
Well for years now, people has been complaining about loading 177 into a barrel on a
2240 with steel breech.
One person on another Air Gun Site, 2010 abouts, Piped up, to prevent hanging up on the breech screw and all other
times..Fix is to place a bit of "Bees Wax" at the breech screw head and melt it with a miniature blow-torch(Used for Cigars)
and move the 177 bolt, back and forth to form the "Groove".
Done. Works like a "Charm and no, reinventing the Wheel".

Hi, yes I'd heard that wax works well, and Ace also had good results using aluminium foil, so there are definitely easier options than what I did. Still, I'm happy with how these turned out. I'd found the sloppy loading tray to be quite an annoyance over time (guess I should have just stuck with 22 eh?), and this really fixes those issues. Plus I enjoy the tinkering, so the time spent reinventing the wheel isn't a negative for me.

Jim