Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:48 pm 

So far, so good! The JB Weld has been curing for about 13hrs...I put everything back together (I'm becoming something of a 2100 ninja now)...put a couple of pumps in and...NO HISS!
She's holding air again and is just as ridonkulously accurate as I remember. I love my MPPs :heart:
Once the JB has cured for at least 24hrs I'll put a full 10 pumps in and see how it goes.

...on that note, anyone want to send me a chrony for real cheap? :D

EverHopeful wrote:
Interesting. One thing - is there anything else anchoring the original valve in place, or was it held by the stem of the relief valve? If so, you might need to add a screw or two to hold it in place.

At this point, the only thing holding it in place is the breech-side transfer port as it extends down into the valve a bit. You're right though...prior to this the relief valve helped to hold it in place from the underside. How do the new models keep the valve in place?

Woody wrote:
I have seen quite a few of these. I usually just take out the guts of the relief valve and soldered the hole shut as mentioned.
If you look at the bottom of the 2100 and I think the 2200 there is a small hole on the bottom of the reciever. That hole is where the exhaust of the reliefe valve is.

I had considered doing this, but that would have involved acquiring the tiny o-ring to seal the relief valve (I'm assuming that's where my leak came from). Quite frankly, I'm feeling lazy as hell this week, so the epoxy method won. :)
Also...THANK YOU! I had always wondered what that little hole on the bottom was for...

AirGunEric wrote:
Son of a bit#h- that is another variation valve you have- the one I was talking about has a different check valve with an o-ring over it. Based on yours having delrin in there, it must be some sort of mid-version, between the original brass valve and the aluminum versions.

Leave it to my father to buy the really random variant of...well, anything. :lol:

Seriously though...thanks SO much for everyone's input. I'm ecstatic to be part of such a great forum!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:01 pm 

Glad to hear it's working again! A chrony is really useful - well worth getting.

Quote:
How do the new models keep the valve in place?

I'm fairly new to this, so I can only speak to the 1377 - that uses a screw into the valve from the bottom, and also there's a cut in the tube which is pushed inwards to form a back-stop for the valve.

Quote:
I'm ecstatic to be part of such a great forum!

Heh, welcome to your new addiction. Therapy starts immediately, but has never been successful.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:49 pm 

EricTheRed wrote:
So far, so good! The JB Weld has been curing for about 13hrs...I put everything back together (I'm becoming something of a 2100 ninja now)...put a couple of pumps in and...NO HISS!!

thats great Eric i told you it would work, expect i decent increase in fps :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:25 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

EricTheRed wrote:

I had considered doing this, but that would have involved acquiring the tiny o-ring to seal the relief valve (I'm assuming that's where my leak came from). Quite frankly, I'm feeling lazy as hell this week, so the epoxy method won. :)
Also...THANK YOU! I had always wondered what that little hole on the bottom was for...

The oring may have been easy to find at Canadian Tire or similar, not 100% sure if they have that size. Best bet is to get a kit when they come on sale at Princess Auto.

I have fixed one once with teflon tape wrapped over the oring and part that eos into the valve. Many ways to skin a cat.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:48 pm 

EricTheRed wrote:
...on that note, anyone want to send me a chrony for real cheap? :D
At this point, the only thing holding it in place is the breech-side transfer port as it extends down into the valve a bit. You're right though...prior to this the relief valve helped to hold it in place from the underside. How do the new models keep the valve in place?

For a useable cheap chrony, try SoftChrono.
http://talonairgun.com/softchrono/SoftChrono_beta1.ZIP
Use a remote mic and you don't have to worry about shooting your chrony. :mrgreen:

As far as valve retention, the valve stop in the tube and the T-port is all there is. :shock: Some people add a couple of screws at 90* to the T-port, especially when flat-topping. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:30 pm 

Ahhhhh a good old bleed valve!!! I remember those from the 80's on my 760's, I can't remember if my 2200 had one. Back then my buddies and I would plug them until we found some screws my Dad had and used to replace the valve with a screw and O ring.

On a similar note, I couldn't figure out how a Canadian 1377 gets '495' but actually chronies at 420 and a US version gets 600. Since my 1322 gets 450 I couldn't figure out how they got the velocity down until I put a steel breech on my nephews 1377 and noticed the transfer port is tiny compared to the 1322.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:21 am 

The Canadian 1377 not only has a restricted transfer port, they drilled a hole in the back of the valve that dumps air into the hammer area. Mine barely made 385 at 10 pumps out of the box with 8 gr pellets.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:12 am 
Supporting Member 2013

both of my guns had that in them , i just put a metal slug in the hole and silver soldered it in . it is one of the most complex bleeder/regulator holes ever im sure .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:31 pm 

Big Bore Bart wrote:
For a useable cheap chrony, try SoftChrono.
http://talonairgun.com/softchrono/SoftChrono_beta1.ZIP
Use a remote mic and you don't have to worry about shooting your chrony. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the link! I'm curious to try that out.

EverHopeful wrote:
The Canadian 1377 not only has a restricted transfer port, they drilled a hole in the back of the valve that dumps air into the hammer area. Mine barely made 385 at 10 pumps out of the box with 8 gr pellets.

I need to crack open my 1377 now...it suddenly won't hold air to save its life! I think it's jealous that I'm playing with my 2100 more these days...lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:46 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Just so there's no confusion with the 1377- that restricted transfer port is not the method for detuning- the .177 operates more efficiently with the smaller port. If anyone does a study of some of Bob's posts from a few years ago- he noted, repeatedly, that the smaller port actually improved velocity in .177 except in the most extreme modifications- i.e. 24" barrel, extended bolt probe, heavier hammer spring- anything less than the 24" barrel and the smaller port outperformed the larger port.

In .22 caliber, a small port does act as a restriction, but not in .177.

The 'detune' is the hole in the valve that vents a good amount of air out the rear on every shot. If the valve made fart sounds it would be all the more appropriate...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:56 pm 

Ah, thanks for the correction. I hate to spread misinformation, and I may have just done that again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:18 am 

AirGunEric wrote:
Just so there's no confusion with the 1377- that restricted transfer port is not the method for detuning- the .177 operates more efficiently with the smaller port. If anyone does a study of some of Bob's posts from a few years ago- he noted, repeatedly, that the smaller port actually improved velocity in .177 except in the most extreme modifications- i.e. 24" barrel, extended bolt probe, heavier hammer spring- anything less than the 24" barrel and the smaller port outperformed the larger port.

In .22 caliber, a small port does act as a restriction, but not in .177.

The 'detune' is the hole in the valve that vents a good amount of air out the rear on every shot. If the valve made fart sounds it would be all the more appropriate...

Thanks Eric. I never dug into the 1377 to see if there were any other differences than the transfer port when I did the breech swap.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:18 am 

My 2200 has the restricter washer AND, the valve shaft that the hammer hits was ground square, thus allowing air past it.