Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:03 pm 

hey all,
i was watching a review on the Crosman TR77 NPS. when the guy talked about putting a rc bearing over one of the pins that attach to the trigger (around the 14min mark -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDOiYvEbTjE )

i was wondering three things:
1) what does this do?
2) is it safe?
3) does any one have some washers like that, so i could try it? on my phantom 22 500

i already did the "spring mod" - removal of that trigger return spring.

thanks guys
ps- nice storm here today. the city is shut down , buses pulled off the road too. i home playing with my pellet gun and doing the dishes. (mmm that reminds me- i still have beer left over from dec 31) :mrgreen:

sub 500 .177 Hatsan mod 33 with Quattro trigger open sites

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:13 pm 

just curious here;

buying a crosman phantom, vantage, quest or optimus might be in my future, i looked up that mod as we all know how the trigger can be a pain on those models, did removing the return spring not make it better to a point where it has an acceptable pull....or is it that its now easier, just still too long ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:30 pm 

it lighten up the trigger pull to very light.

SAFETY NOTE:
the thing to remember is that trigger type is that when you partially pull the trigger it disengages the sear a little bit and when you let the trigger off it does not fully re engage the sear again. so you can be left with a hair trigger that could go off with a bump.

i believe that removing that spring has little or no effect with the above problem.

someone please correct me if i am wrong.

but i was very happy with the mod. so now it's a really long light single stage. :lol:

if you want to improve the trigger pull itself, check out:
http://charliedatuna.com/GRT-III%20Trigger%20New.htm

i don't have one, or haven't even shot one, but they have a good reputation on the site here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:41 pm 

Hey Quick,

I used a 5x8x2.5mm RC bearing on the triggers of my Benji NP .22 (PAL version) and my MTR77NP (PAL version). Took a few minutes on the Benji as there's only 3 screws to remove the action. The MTR has about 21 screws so that takes a few minutes longer.

The bearings worked perfectly on both rifles. Much lighter pull and very consistent. This mod did not make a hair trigger on either unit. I am very pleased with this very cost effective addition. Price was about $5 for 2 bearings at a local hobby store.

Acky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:01 pm 

This trigger will help and is a safe mod.
http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... more-p-242

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:24 am 
Supporting Member 2009

Many people have worked on improving the factory triggers on this platform (the TR77NPS is another variation of the venerable B18/B19) and the end result is always the same, to a matter of degree, some improvement can be made, but the only way to really improve things as much as possible is using one the aftermarket triggers which change the entire geometry and are truly adjustable. Do a Google search for a guy on some online airgun forums named "Slavia" and his G1 Extreme (same B18/B19 platform) modifications- he had done the most trigger work I have ever seen on this unit, and still could not achieve as much as the aftermarket units can provide (and he readily admits this, but he was attempting to do as much as possible as an experiment).

Please note: I do not conduct business through Private Messages (PM's) in online forums. Please do not send a 'PM" with a business-related question.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:20 am 

well said.
thanks Eric for giving us the skinny on that. nice to have a benchmark and know what is and isn't possible.
i will check that guy out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:07 am 

Removing the spring is worthwhile. I did it to a Quest 500 and it gave it a usable trigger, same length as it was, but light and fairly smooth. While not match grade by any means, it's 2-3 times better than it started out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:50 pm 

I can show you several mods to make the trigger better, even duplicating what the expensive aftermarket triggers do. The washer mod you mentioned does work, but it's hard to get the right size needed to be both effective and safe. Usually the problem people have is the washer is too thick so the trigger is too short, or a hair trigger which in a Crosman is dangerous. Crosman guns tend to go off rather easily when set to hair levels. Better imo to use other methods, but the washer is a very easy method if it's works.
The mods I mentioned are too much to go into here, but here's some self explanatory pix. Otherwise you can email for the info at chevota at hotmail.
As for the sear not re-engaging after a partial pull that depends on the trigger. Many people say they simply do not return and that's all there is to it, but if you smooth the rough sear surfaces and lube properly it will return. Mine do... When the trigger return spring is removed which is common, and required for many mods, you can feel if it has returned or not. If it hasn't you can simply recock the gun and it will reset for sure.
So look at the pix which explains the two stage mod like the gold triggers which is the best mod. Other mods are shortening the sears, or using a 10mm long screw in place of the short oem screw. The longer screw mod is the easiest by far, but the worst. The washer or shortening the sears is basically the same and work nice, but it's not as nice or safe as adding the screw like in the pix.

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 74.81 KiB | Viewed 1468 times ]
2.JPG
2.JPG [ 45.51 KiB | Viewed 1468 times ]
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 22.45 KiB | Viewed 1468 times ]