Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:42 pm 

I finally got back to this build today.... Sean Pero shortened and threaded a 2260 tube for me so that I could use two CO2 cartridges or a bulk fill.... I made the piercing cap, and I already had a B&A Bulk Fill adapter kicking around, and there is enough clearance to rotate it under the barrel, so I can use either setup.... Here are the parts....

The valve incorportates a piercing cap as shown earlier in the thread, and the piercing pin in the front is sealed with a 5/32" ID O-ring on it in a recess in the brass plug which is held in by a drilled Crosman 2240 front cap.... The aluminum knob is set-screwed to the piercing pin.... You insert the two cartridges as shown (bottom to bottom) and screw in the plug until it pierces one cartridge, at which time the pressure stops it from rotating.... Then you simply push on the plunger to pierce the other cartridge.... Alternately, you can use the bulk-fill front end and fill from a CO2 tank.... You only get a few more shots with the bulk CO2, but it's a lot cheaper.... There doesn't seem to be any particular difference in performance, but you do get a larger cloud of CO2 blown out the barrel with the bulk fill setup....

After initial testing, I found that the velocity was about 440 fps, with either the 45 gr. JSB pellets or .30 cal roundball (40 gr.).... The roundball was not very consistent in diameter, and the ES was larger, so I decided to refit a stock hammer (instead of the 50% lighter one) to increase the velocity.... I'm using a set Disco spring, running in a stock, fixed 2240 end cap, with a spring guide that brings the length back up to that of a stock spring.... The velocity is now about 487 fps (nearly 24 FPE), and the fastest I saw over several clips was 495, for a good solid 14 shots (2 full clips) on two cartridges.... The increase in power burns up a bit more CO2, but it was worth it to get closer to the <500 fps non-PAL limit.... The velocity peaks at about 60-65*F, and the gun shoots a bit slower when either hotter or colder, so the valve is operating in the balance zone.... This also means that you can fire a whole clip as quickly as you can recock without the velocity dropping.... Here is the completed pistol....

The gun weighs 2 lb. 14 oz. ready to go including two cartridges, a 7-shot magazine, and the red/green multi-reticle holosight.... While doing the Chrony work inside at 20' I had several 7 shot groups that were just one ragged hole.... I love the way it cocks and reloads with the left handed bolt without having to remove my hand from the grip.... This has been a fun project, resulting in a very useful .30 cal CO2 Pistol....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:35 pm 

Another sweet build Bob 8)

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:46 pm 

Now go out and kill something!!!
Nice Bob! Think I may build a .25 very similar to yours!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:02 pm 

A .25 isn't that tough.... I did a version earlier in this thread, all it took was an extended valve in a 2250 tube to get close to 500 in a pistol length barrel.... In fact, if I wasn't greedy (and curious), I'd probably have stopped there....

Bob

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:45 am 

Very, very nice.

Grunt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:44 am 

As the latest owner of this beauty I have to say fantastic job Bob, shoots like a dream :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:09 am 

Glad you are enjoying it.... Nice to see that one of my builds is holding its value and being appreciated....

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:59 am 

Thanks for all your build posts Bob. They are all very interesting, especially this one as it is a big bore and non-PAL.
Congrats on your latest acquisition PZAM and thanks for saving me from myself :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:05 am 

:shock:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:20 am 

rsterne wrote:
Nice to see that one of my builds is holding its value and being appreciated...

Truly fine workmanship, hardly surprising! It still looks a little "raw" however, I know a guy who does some good quality cerakote and I'm wondering if I should have it coated. The carbine stock that I presume Skanzy fitted also needs a little refinement in terms of fit.

Also, how would you feel about running it on HPA at say 1000 psi? I'm not a big fan of CO2 so I'm thinking a fill cap like I had made for my Red's Special might be a good idea, do you think I'd get a consistent 7 shot string from a single fill?

photona wrote:
Congrats on your latest acquisition PZAM and thanks for saving me from myself :)

The luck of the draw, désolé!

There are two other builds by Bob in the "for sale" section, surprised they haven't been snapped up yet. If I had my PAL (soon...) I would!