Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Crosman 2240 or 1322...?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:15 pm 

I am thinking of getting one of these (maybe eventually both) but just wonder which one is the most popular / prefered as a base model and for mods?
I know one is CO2 and the other is a pump up and there are pluses and minuses for both - you get a free workout with the pump but less variability that with CO2. Any one a winner...?
I must say I don't like the plasticky look of the 1322 but it continues to get good user reviews. Also, the bugout version (called a carbine rifle but looks like the 1322 pistol to me with a different front blade) has a much meatier looking pump handle and the add-on stock though that particular bundle would need extra pistol grips to use without the stock. As for modding, I am thinking about a 1322 and trying to fit a front grip to make the pumping easier (maybe...) and improve stability.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:26 pm 

i think just about everyone of us has owned either of these or both at some point and think its all personal preference... 1 you have to keep feedin co2 the other you keep pumpin but i think we can all agree that either platform offers almost limitless possibilities for modification and enables the addiction to grow ;) i know im no help and once you cross that threshold theres no goin back (why would you want to? lmao)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:03 pm 

Flip a coin! really both are great platforms to expand on!!

Just take some time and read some of the stuff already on this forum, especially in "mods and repairs".

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:27 pm 
Supporting Members

The big plus of the pumper is cold weather use.....unless of course you run your 2240 on HPA

Im addicted to brake fluid..........but I can stop anytime....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:17 am 

If you like pumping, go with the 1322. You don't really know until you shot a decent session with it. It's either love or hate. :lol:

Personally I would go with the 1322 as I don't mind pumping. My basement gets colder in the Winter and that is a problem for CO2 powered airguns.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:47 am 

Get the 1322, i personally hate 12g co2 cartridge, :x
or better yet get a 2289 backpacker.
I have a 2240 that barley sees the light of day, i actually had two of them traded one for a 760 8)
now I'm just in the plans of switching the 2240 to HPA. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:03 am 

Ace wrote:
Get the 1322, i personally hate 12g co2 cartridge, :x
or better yet get a 2289 backpacker.
I have a 2240 that barley sees the light of day, i actually had two of them traded one for a 760 8)
now I'm just in the plans of switching the 2240 to HPA. :wink:

i miss the 760 :( lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:42 pm 

I am the opposite of Ace . I like the 2240 and don't mind the CO2. I also have an Alecto and a P17 which are pumpers and I shoot them more than the 2240.
Love them all but hardly ever use the 1377.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:13 pm 

Plasticman wrote:
I am the opposite of Ace . I like the 2240 and don't mind the CO2. I also have an Alecto and a P17 which are pumpers and I shoot them more than the 2240.
Love them all but hardly ever use the 1377.

lol...exactly my point, I'm sure if your 2240 was a single stroke pneumatic you'd be using it more. :wink:
don't get me wrong i like my 2240 and its a great little platform to mod, but when your out of 12g co2 cartridge's its useless until you get more :x or you better stock up on a lot of 12g's because they go fast, I'm sure one's I have mine running on HPA I'll like it much more. :D

look at sureshot's cool 1377 you can do the same thing to the 1322. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:40 pm 

Like many have said, you will not know if you made the right decision until you get a taste of the consequences.
I had a 1322 in the eighties and it has become a carbine in recent years, and a 2240 that has become a 2260 and thereafter HPA and a 100 yard gun.
Either one is a good value and reliable platform, so consider if you're willing to trade the convenience of C02 for the cost or willing to make your own pressure each time and let the weight of that decision sway you to the one you choose.

It likely won't stay that way forever anyway...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:17 pm 

Thanks fellas, you have been very helpful.
Like you say, it's a matter of trying them out before I will know. I know CO2 Umarex pistols and the 2240 is interesting as it seems to be more powerful than those and I would like to see that.
I am still swinging between them but today at least I am leaning towards the 1322 as it will be easy to pick up and put down without feeling obliged to use up an entire CO2 cylinder. Also the variable power would be useful for indoor / outdoor practice. Then there is the temperature thing. The Backpacker version is in the bugout offer so it might just be that one...
Having said all that I am not looking forward to the pumping but will give it a go. Shame indeed it is not single stroke.
By the way, I am new - what is HPA (high pressure air?)? I assume whatever it is, it takes it into firearms license territory...?
Thanks again all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:24 pm 

DDtank wrote:
By the way, I am new - what is HPA (high pressure air?)? I assume whatever it is, it takes it into firearms license territory...?

your correct HPA=high pressure air
no not necessarily as long as you don't play around with the regulator and change the output pressure greater then 800 psi the 2240 should stay under 500fps.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:04 am 

I.d get both, cuz you, ll always wonder if you made the right choice, until you do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:18 pm 

joe hickey wrote:
I.d get both, cuz you, ll always wonder if you made the right choice, until you do.

They are both less then $70 each, so get both! :D

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:21 pm 

My vote is for both. I have a converted 1322 and now a 1740 because parts are so easily swapped between the platforms. Both have quickly (more so than I expected) become my favourites. Oh and I totally don' t mind pumping, makes you take that much more care with each shot.