Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Crosman 1008 repair help
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:38 am 

A good friend of mine asked me to take a look at his Crosman 1008 as it was leaking all of the Co2 when loading a new cart. He also mentioned that it seemed to be shooting really weak and he could see the pellets drop off last time he had it working. I brought it home last night and the first thing I did was attempt to load a cart to fire some test shots. I noticed right away that the thumb screw to tighten the cart in has been stripped and now will not pierce the cart. This is most likely why the Co2 is leaking out and as a result no test shots.
Has anyone had this problem? I noticed that the screw in question is threaded through the grip frame but I didn't have the time last night to remove the scew to check the female thread. If it is bunged up, can I order a thicker screw and drill and tap it? I assume that to remove the screw I need to tap out the pin in the thumb screw and then spin it into the grip. Will be contacting Eric at S&A for parts.
I did a few searches on the site and google and came up empty. Well, a couple of reviews and and for sale ads. Would like to get this working for him as I am trying to draw him into the hobby. I also noticed that the crony numbers on these pistols are less than awe inspiring lol. Crony numbers I saw were 360ish. Any advice on the repair would be much appreciated and any tips to wring a few FPS out of her as well.
Thanks Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:19 am 

very easy gun to work on right side grip is just held on by a clip, left side grip held on by two small screws removing the two grips will give you full access to that area. Someone must have used a pair of pliers to tighten it at some point because the screw is pretty tough to strip. you should have no problem taping and replacing the screw if that's what the problem is.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:28 pm 

Well I just made a new thumb screw for the Co2 cart and got it shooting again. Sure enough when I looked at it again there were plier marks on the thumb part. I had a chunk of #8x1.25 thread that I had cut off another project that was just the right length. I drilled and tapped the grip frame and then set to work on the bolt. I used my cordless drill, files and sandpaper and turned down the end of the bolt to accept the thumb piece. Drilled a new hole and tapped the pin back in and peined the end back over to hold it in place. After screwing in the newly made bolt I threaded a different thread nut on to the bolt until it jammed to center the cart when pressure is applied.
I put a new cart in and tightened it up and it started leaking. I had to apply quite a bit of torque to the bolt to seat the cart and there was still a faint hiss until I fired four to five times. Now seems to be holding and is shooting with no sign of leakage. I loaded a new cart and am going to leave it over night to be sure.
Now to try and get a few more fps out of her :) I'll take some pics in the morning of the new bolt.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:58 am 

It helps if you put a "Drop" of PelOil on the tip of the CO2 Cartridge before inserting.

Arsenal..
Kraft Marshmallow Pump and Shoot Rifle.
GoodYear Gatling Gun rubber-band shooter.
PEI Potato PCP Rifle.

Glass ..12" Dobsonian Reflector.
Shooting for the Stars.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:30 pm 

2240mod wrote:
It helps if you put a "Drop" of PelOil on the tip of the CO2 Cartridge before inserting.

X2 i had one with the similar issue (ontop of the little metal discs jammed into the piercing nozzle from co2 carts)
i ended up replacing the co2 seal anyway but oil does amazing things ;)