Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:32 am 

Hey again folks!

Ok, so I have a Bulk Air adapter coming from JImC. I am planning on getting a HPA tank once it arrives.

It would seem that most HPA tanks (or even bulk Co2) have an output of about 850psi. Is that going to be enough to power the gun?

I watched a video earlier tonight of a guy with a HPA tank and an Umarex with the adapter, claiming that the 850psi is very weak and it only gave the gun about 250-300fps. So he bumped the output of the regulator to about 950-100psi. He said that is what he needed to achieve close to the factory speced 430fps.

Is this true, or has he no idea what he's talking about?

If I do need to increase the psi output of the regulator, I understand that all you need to do is add "shims". Where would I get these shims and how many would I need to add to keep it safe.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:11 pm 

CO2 is usually 950. Most guns should be able to handle 1200 as CO2 can hit that on a hot day but you will need to test it out.
Do a search on this forum for adjusting regulators. Bob (rsterne) has posted how to do it before, at least I think it was him who gave detailed instructions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:40 pm 

usually you can buy the shims from a paintball shop.
Before you go ahead and shim the reg make sure #1 your gun can handle the higher pressure and make sure #2 your regulator can also handle the increased output pressure, if your not sure don't play with this stuff because is can be very dangerous, most HP tanks output are 850psi the LP tanks are 450psi.
always make sure the tank is completely empty before attempting anything yes! i know it sound obvious but just make sure :wink:
here is a video on decreasing the pressure so to increase it just add a shim or two depending on the thickness of the shim.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7oVL_3FCbg

add one shim at a time and go from there, an output pressure test gauge would be ideal in this situation just too make sure what your actually getting out of the tank, very easy to make and very handy to have the pic below is one i made just make sure the gauge is at least 1200psi rating or you will blow the gauge if you happen to go over.

Attachments:
IMG_0694.JPG
IMG_0694.JPG [ 32.62 KiB | Viewed 770 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:36 pm 
Supporting Member 2013

a longer barrel will get you more f/s , pretty easy to come by . also can be made to add strength to the guns muzzel .
14'' will get 490-498f/s . you'd need a mock silencer to cover the extra . id think even 3 more inches would do alot (muzzel break end)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:35 pm 

paddyfritz wrote:
CO2 is usually 950. Most guns should be able to handle 1200 as CO2 can hit that on a hot day but you will need to test it out.
Do a search on this forum for adjusting regulators. Bob (rsterne) has posted how to do it before, at least I think it was him who gave detailed instructions.

Cheers, thanks paddy

jezX wrote:
a longer barrel will get you more f/s , pretty easy to come by . also can be made to add strength to the guns muzzel .
14'' will get 490-498f/s . you'd need a mock silencer to cover the extra . id think even 3 more inches would do alot (muzzel break end)

I've spoken with JimC about extended barrels. He sent me a couple pictures of something he;s been working on to market to the airgun community (Steel Storm and Steel Force). So I will be waiting for him to release that!

Ace wrote:
usually you can buy the shims from a paintball shop.
Before you go ahead and shim the reg make sure #1 your gun can handle the higher pressure and make sure #2 your regulator can also handle the increased output pressure, if your not sure don't play with this stuff because is can be very dangerous, most HP tanks output are 850psi the LP tanks are 450psi.
always make sure the tank is completely empty before attempting anything yes! i know it sound obvious but just make sure :wink:
here is a video on decreasing the pressure so to increase it just add a shim or two depending on the thickness of the shim.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7oVL_3FCbg

add one shim at a time and go from there, an output pressure test gauge would be ideal in this situation just too make sure what your actually getting out of the tank, very easy to make and very handy to have the pic below is one i made just make sure the gauge is at least 1200psi rating or you will blow the gauge if you happen to go over.

Thanks ACE, good info! I think we've decided to just go with the bulk Co2 tanks. This way the psi of the co2 is at what it's supposed to be at for what the gun was made for. And I really don't feel like dicking around with the regulator, for safety purposes.

So, yea I think we're just going to get the bulk Co2 =)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:10 pm 

Jared wrote:
And I really don't feel like dicking around with the regulator, for safety purposes.
So, yea I think we're just going to get the bulk Co2 =)

good idea 8)