Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:46 pm 

I noticed another posting regarding video target monitoring and recording and thought I should add the following;

I use an iPhone(4) as a remote camera pointed at target and an iPad(mini) as a monitor at my bench or wherever I'm shooting from. Add a 99 cent app called iWatcher Pro and voila!

A tripod adapter for the phone and an LED lamp attached to the tripod make a very versatile and portable "eye" for the system. The iPad is propped and protected in a Otter Box case.

So, how far will it work? Good question.

On Bluetooth - 10 meters and crappy connection.
On wifi - depends on your network.

I use a pocket router that I can place strategically ( line of sight on both phone and pad ) and can get distances of 50 meters on either side of the router. That's 100 meter shooting and seeing your shots land on a tabletop screen one or two seconds after the shot lands.

Saves a lot of time walking down range to check details on targets, even at just 10 meters.

Anyway, I was so excited at having "discovered" the best possible use for a 99 cent app that I just had to share. BTW, a buddy and I have been shooting this way for weeks now.. I really don't know how I ever did it before. Did my paradigm just shift?

Sure hope somebody else gets something out of this.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:49 pm 

now if someone can figure out how to do it with the ever clunky blackberry.......I doubt it..so that leave me borrowing my wife's apple gear.

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:30 pm 

If someone could do it for 2300m I'd be excited!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:44 pm 

I dig technology as much as most, but I gotta ask what's wrong with a 60$ spotting scope?
Or maybe a Seben camera scope mount if you're set on recording real time with the phone?

Not bashing here, just curious.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:18 pm 

rrdstarr wrote:

If you're in a cellular network covered area and have a great data plan (cheap) then you could set up a video chat between a tablet or notebook and your phone, or between two phones I suppose. Like Google or Skype. Put one pointing at your target and the other near your firing line. More economical data-wise to use a snapshot type monitoring program though, like something which sends a snap every so many seconds, the sort used for home/pet monitoring. I have a cheap and tiny wireless webcam I can use out to about 10 metres bit for 2.3km direct radio you'd need serious hardware.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:38 pm 

A 5.8Ghz FPV set up for RC planes and such will transmit over 2000m. It will cost you $300-$400 to set up. If power isn't an issue, you could watch on a 60" TV. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:16 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:
rrdstarr wrote:

If you're in a cellular network covered area and have a great data plan (cheap) then you could set up a video chat between a tablet or notebook and your phone, or between two phones I suppose. Like Google or Skype. Put one pointing at your target and the other near your firing line. More economical data-wise to use a snapshot type monitoring program though, like something which sends a snap every so many seconds, the sort used for home/pet monitoring. I have a cheap and tiny wireless webcam I can use out to about 10 metres bit for 2.3km direct radio you'd need serious hardware.

Good idea Gerard! But where I go for the big rifle there is no cell coverage! All i can get is GPS coordinates!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:28 pm 

rrdstarr wrote:
But where I go for the big rifle there is no cell coverage! All i can get is GPS coordinates!

Well I guess you'll need to find some ammo with built-in GPS tracking then, down to milspec for accuracy. Have to be some seriously hardened circuits though! ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:40 pm 

The part that works best for me ( apart from already owning all the necessary components ) was that all the parts (phone, router, iPad) fit in my pockets and operate independently on their own battery power for over five and a half hours of shooting. A truly portable setup.

Now, if I was doing a permanent install or attempting to track artillery shells in the next county, I might try satellite imagery or order up some of those Lockheed smart bomb cams.

There is no problem that cannot be solved with a liberal application money.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:15 pm 

Now this is a real layman's shot at an answer as to why a monitor may be better than a spotting scope.....you dont have to break form as much and leave the weapon to see how you are doing. Like the guy in this picture he just has to glance at the monitor then return to the target picture.
Maybe some value in the monitor like that?

Attachments:
target mon.jpg
target mon.jpg [ 10.46 KiB | Viewed 929 times ]

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:13 am 

This is what your looking for Rick...They say good to 6000m

www.wirelessvideocameras.com

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:51 am 

Whitewolf wrote:
This is what your looking for Rick...They say good to 6000m

http://www.wirelessvideocameras.com

Whoa! $2,300 though, that's kind of a big chunk.
http://wirelessvideocameras.com/product ... era-syetm/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:43 am 

Affordable if i actualky owned the property. The scope on the Barrett cost $2100. If I can find some land I will buy that!!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:27 am 

This is pretty compact, will all fit in a small case. Overall cost isn't bad either.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/05p225-fpv-system.html

Add 2 Peg Perego 12v lead acid batteries, one for transmitter and one for receiver and monitor. With such low power consumption it will run all day and then some on a charge.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Max-Life-Battery ... 2c7b33ef60

Now I'm thinking I may need this for myself. lol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:29 pm 

Plinkercases wrote:
Now this is a real layman's shot at an answer as to why a monitor may be better than a spotting scope.....you dont have to break form as much and leave the weapon to see how you are doing. Like the guy in this picture he just has to glance at the monitor then return to the target picture.
Maybe some value in the monitor like that?

We used those Murray when I was on the US Army Shooting team. I was at Colorado Springs alongside the Olympic athletes training. It's a real good system, but I haven't seen it for sale to civilians. I am sure they are out there now.

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22