Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:51 pm 

Any suggestions for what to use for a durable, glossy finish? Any advice appreciated, thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:31 pm 

many coats of spray varathane.or lacquer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:35 pm 

Thanks Joe! I've decided to give that stuff a try.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:38 pm 

One of the nicest to my taste I have seen here was coats of tung oil over a stain selection to make the particular wood and grin pop. He asked advise I believe from the paint store after showing them the wood. And the stain was "thane" less...just stain.
If I can recall the thread I will post or perhaps the OP will recognize the reference and post a picture.
That sis my approach chosen fro my stock refinish project.

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:28 pm 

When ever I finish a stock for a glossy look, I prefer spray Minwax Fast Drying Polyurethane. I like to do light coats then theres no sanding of run marks or drips. Depending on the coarseness of the wood, it may take upwards of 20 coats to get rid of all the wood pores. The fast drying stuff is nice because you can get a stock refinished in a week or so. The re-coat time for the Minwax spray is 2-4 hours, I found letting it sit for 3 hours minimum is a must for the wet climate of BC. You only need to sand between coats if you exceed the re-coat time. In that case a few passes with 400 or 600 grit wet and dry paper does the trick. With lacquer sometimes it takes 24 hours to harden enough to sand for the next coat (but it may take less coats). I finished a stock in lacquer once and it was painful for me to say the least. You can get some nice shines from polishing certain oils into the grain, but a true glossy stock needs time, patience and some sort of covering (like lacquer or poly). Any flaw you have in the surface will be must more easily noticeable after wards. Like most things preparation is key.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:28 pm 

When I have put on a glossy finish on wood cabinets and such, I've used high gloss polyurethane with a top quality brush. I find that the brush can make a big difference. Several coats are usually necessary. I haven't tried spraying.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:51 pm 

Thanks for all the help. I'm new to this but wanted to give it a go. Just a question, has anyone just stripped their finish then coated with poly or something? I'm wanting a gloss finish, but I kind of like the look of raw wood?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:55 am 

M3ga3T wrote:
Thanks for all the help. I'm new to this but wanted to give it a go. Just a question, has anyone just stripped their finish then coated with poly or something? I'm wanting a gloss finish, but I kind of like the look of raw wood?

Just a clear cote then, no colour added to it!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:14 pm 

The colour will change slightly when you cover it. It will look very close to what the bare wood looks when Its wet.