Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:13 am 

I had a similar idea one day recently at a flea market I saw an old trumpet, and thought how it would make a slick pellet trap. All I would need is a catcher on the end. But too small. This design though is simply ingenious.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:07 am 

Nice looking trap. Solid, and efficient. The snails go in but they don't come out. :lol:
If you cover the "horn" with metal on both sides, and the tube on one side, it'd be easy to put a removable wooden plug on the other end for pellet removal...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:19 pm 

Have one of the Champion Steel Pellet traps.
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Champion_ ... mpion_Trap
Got it from LeBarons.
The Problem is that after 10 shots in the basement, It is a "Ear-Full".
The other problem, is that the "Confetti" from the paper cutting, makes a big mess.
Therefore went to a much more "Liveable", Archer type "Silent Trap".
Almost no noise(Thanks to Duct Seal), Confetti is contained inside of trap and so is any lead dust.

Arsenal..
Kraft Marshmallow Pump and Shoot Rifle.
GoodYear Gatling Gun rubber-band shooter.
PEI Potato PCP Rifle.

Glass ..12" Dobsonian Reflector.
Shooting for the Stars.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:26 pm 

Totally agree with you they are nice but noisy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:18 pm 

Thanks for all of the positive comments guys!!!! This is absolutely not my design!! I basically took a common design and scaled it down for air gun use. Just google 'snail bullet trap' and look at the images.

I thought of putting a door on the side, but then realized I just had to roll it backwards, and then onto it's face, gravity would take care of that for me with no extra parts to fabricate.

I doubt I'd make these in volume, I think they would be too much money. Even if I had all of the pieces laser cut to size and just MIG welded all of the corners, the material and labour would add up to the cost of a nice rifle, then there is the shipping....Perhaps I could come up with a CAD file of all of the parts and if someone wanted to have one made up locally, they could just have a local place Laser/Plasma cut and then weld it together.

As far as the noise of impacts, I shoot it at 25+ yards so it doesn't bother me. After I have it powder coated, my plan is to put a few pieces of 'Dynamat' on it. Dynamat is used by automotive stereo shops to keep metal panels from reverberating with loud stereos. This should reduce it to a 'thwack' from a 'dinggggg'

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:39 pm 

Hey that,s a pretty good idea. sound dampening a pellet trap from the outside. Probably a piece of rubber mat or even some solid vinyl flooring contact cemented on, should reduce the ping quite effectively.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:42 pm 

I think I,ll have to try that with my metal trap.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:11 am 

Duct seal pressed onto the back of a metal plate does quite a lot to reduce impact noise. The steel can't ring with putty stuck to it. Not a pretty solution but it works well for my flat downward-angled stop on one trap. On another I used 1/16" steel (this is for my competition air pistol so not very powerful) and made a dam around it and melted used pellets with a bit of flux until there was a 1/4" layer. That's even more effective than putty in damping noise. Only melt lead in a well ventilated outside area obviously.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:32 pm 

Whatevery you use to damp the vibrations, you only need about 50% coverage to do the job. More coverage is a waste. If you have more, then a thicker coating, or multiple layers, will be more effective then greater coverage.

On the OP's trap I'd put a racing stripe along the top, around the snail, and under the ramp.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:40 pm 

If you take a small cushion and have it filled with something heavy/dense the ring becomes a very quiet clink if you drop it on the back of the target. I just set my FT bumbag on the back in the "V" shape created by the back of the trap and the wall. Since I sometimes want to use the bumbag, I am simply going to take an old cushion and fill it with granulized cork, like my bumbag and drop it on the back. The cushion can fit right in with the furniture down in the rec room. Having duct seal down there or anywhere in the house is not something I want. I put plastic tape over the front of the trap after I use it to cover any holes I have made and never get dust in the house. Every month or so, I strip the tape off, empty the trap, re-tape and I am back in business. The taped over front is easy to put targets on as well. The dust sticks to the inside of the tape inside the trap rather than flying around in the air.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:07 am 

notthesnail wrote:

On the OP's trap I'd put a racing stripe along the top, around the snail, and under the ramp.

Maybe a sticker of "Turbo" slapped on the side :)

Crosman 2240
Daisy 953
Ruger Green Mountain Laminate 10/22+Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
1950 Russian SKS
Remington 783 30-06 Hawke Vantage 6-24x44 SF