Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Sharpening drills
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:03 pm 

I've been meaning to buy a bench grinder for ages, but had got rather bogged down in exactly which model of 8" variable speed grinder was best value for money. So when I noticed that HomeDepot was selling a cheap & cheerful 6" grinder for $30 I decided to just grab that for now. I spent a very satisfying hour or so resurrecting several badly mangled drills, and even managed to turn a snapped drill into a usable stubby :)

It's surprising how much fun there can be in the little things.

Jim

Post subject: Re: Sharpening drills
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:01 pm 

Take a look at the Drill Dr. Or Drill Doctor..Got one a few years back and have never without a sharp Drill Bit.
I am not good at sharpening a Drill bit on a Grinder because of the different angles and on the Drill Doctor, it can be "Split Cut" so that it does not slide around on the surface of the work, trying to drill a hole or not having a counter sink guide dimple.
This is the top model 750..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9YqUdcWuT8

Cdn Tire has Drill DR. XPC.. for 139.99 but goes on sale for $79.99 at most times.

Arsenal..
Kraft Marshmallow Pump and Shoot Rifle.
GoodYear Gatling Gun rubber-band shooter.
PEI Potato PCP Rifle.

Glass ..12" Dobsonian Reflector.
Shooting for the Stars.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:50 pm 

For the small guy a Drill Doctor is great!
We make the apprentices sharpen drill bits and learn how to thin the web for stubby drills! I do the instruction!

118 degrees for most materials and 135 for harder materials!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:20 pm 

If you hold two hex nuts together they make a handy angle gauge for drill sharpening. It's 120 degrees but what you are drilling won't know the difference!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:19 pm 

I had to use google to find out what thinning the web meant. Now the whole drill sharpening process seems much more complicated - I'm glad I didn't read that before I just had a go. Interesting though - after reading that I went back and compared my cheap drills with my good ones, and now I can see the extra work that has gone into the good ones.

The drill doctor looks neat, but it's a bit pricy. I think I'll stick to a combination of trying to keep a good set of drills for finishing holes and practising my manual sharpening on drills that I can then use for starters and things were accuracy isn't important.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:18 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:
I had to use google to find out what thinning the web meant. Now the whole drill sharpening process seems much more complicated - I'm glad I didn't read that before I just had a go. Interesting though - after reading that I went back and compared my cheap drills with my good ones, and now I can see the extra work that has gone into the good ones.

The drill doctor looks neat, but it's a bit pricy. I think I'll stick to a combination of trying to keep a good set of drills for finishing holes and practising my manual sharpening on drills that I can then use for starters and things were accuracy isn't important.

Keep the face of your wheels squared up too! Flat as possible!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:55 pm 

Guess I'll have to add a wheel dresser to the shopping list then.

I had a go at thinning/split pointing my stubby using a small grinding wheel in a dremel, and it starts a lot easier now, so thanks for pointing me in that direction :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:10 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:

And if you don't have one already...a proper face shield...not "just" safety glasses.

Please install and use the guards.

Al

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:01 pm 

Thanks Al. One thing I'm very aware trying to learn this stuff on my own is that there's no experienced person around to tell me when I'm doing something stupid. A face shield sounds like a very sensible idea, and yes all the guards are in place and secure.

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:17 pm 

Gippeto wrote:
EverHopeful wrote:

And if you don't have one already...a proper face shield...not "just" safety glasses.

Please install and use the guards.

Al

X2

I am the midnight Health and Safety Rep at my shop and the number eye injuries on a grinder while wearing safety glasses is very surprising...4 last month alone :shock:

I have seen resharpened drills with negative rake angles and maybe 75* incl angle from some of the guys who refuse to ask for help when sharpening a drill :lol: gets scary, one guy told me "I just pull harder on the quill hand-feed lever if the drill is dull" :shock: :roll: Saw him with a pipe on it one day...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:45 am 

I too am Health and Safety and First Aider on the evening shift 3pm-3am. Most common is cuts the second is debris in eyes.

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:10 am 

jgoodz420 wrote:
I am the midnight Health and Safety Rep at my shop and the number eye injuries on a grinder while wearing safety glasses is very surprising...4 last month alone :shock:

That is surprising. I wonder how it happens - are we talking about high energy material smashing the glasses, or small stuff getting around the edges? I wear my safeties over prescription glasses, so I opted for a goggles style with plenty of room inside and a full seal around the edges. But the edge is obviously fairly soft stuff and wouldn't stop anything moving fast.

I found this document on safety with grinding wheels which I'm still working my way through: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/hsg17.pdf It's certainly a sobering read. I dread to think how much energy is stored in one of those big wheels - wouldn't want to be around if that let go.

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:13 am 

EverHopeful wrote:
jgoodz420 wrote:

That is surprising. I wonder how it happens - are we talking about high energy material smashing the glasses, or small stuff getting around the edges? I wear my safeties over prescription glasses, so I opted for a goggles style with plenty of room inside and a full seal around the edges. But the edge is obviously fairly soft stuff and wouldn't stop anything moving fast.

I found this document on safety with grinding wheels which I'm still working my way through: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/hsg17.pdf It's certainly a sobering read. I dread to think how much energy is stored in one of those big wheels - wouldn't want to be around if that let go.

Jim

I had a 12" wheel come apart when I was 5' away on a surface grinder! Damn near crapped my pants when it exploded!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:15 pm 

Stored energy is a killer. Hydraulic Presses and springs are scary as well. I bought a buddy a cheap set-up as a Birthday present and gave him a ten minute lecture. It all looks good till it isn't. I had him install a safety cable for springs. So far so good....

More to come....