Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:01 pm 

does no one ever put a kisser button on a rifle??

i don't think it seems like a really bad idea.

thoughts, experience, flames?

sub 500 .177 Hatsan mod 33 with Quattro trigger open sites

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:28 pm 

IMHO a kisser button would only be practical if one is strickly shooting competitive target. Just the type of shirt jacket sweater changes ones length of pull. Also changes how one grips the weapon. So the placement of a kisser buttom will only be guide. Practice practice is the key.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:05 pm 

flame

over-gadgeting will not help scores

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:55 pm 

I think for someone thats shooting "quick" and off hand shooting its very handy it lets you place your check on the same place of the stock for quick viewing through your scope and less adjusting on the eye relief.
For quick shooting through my scope I sometimes just place a strip of tape on my stock, again this is for quick shooting other then that there is not much use for it :wink:

Here is a YT vid explaining the kiss button.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQqDV4SEFxo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:19 pm 

Thanks for the video Ace! I was like what the Hell are people talking aboot? I think getting the stock to the correct length of pull would be better then the kisser button. Ideally it looks great for three gun matches where speed is of the essence! But for $12.95 I may have to try one on my Discovery!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:46 am 

Daryl wrote:
flame

I watched - or tried to watch the video.

If that gizmo actually helped someone's shooting - I personally think that person needed to learn to shoot properly in the first place. Very little practice with any gun teaches perfect head position, perfect eye relief with no gizmo attached to the stock. With skill, any gun can be handled, mounted and shot accurately - without a gizmo attached to the stock - it's something you learn to do - automatically.

If you become reliant on a gizmo to properly position your head then you will need that gizmo. If the gizmo is missing you will likely not be able to shoot at all because you did not learn to shoot properly in the first place. No gizmo can take the place of proper gun handling and knowledge - gizmos - something new that isn't needed, to spend money on.

I suggest that one does not become reliant on a gizmo that replaces proper training.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:57 am 

Daryl wrote:
Daryl wrote:
flame

I watched - or tried to watch the video.

If that gizmo actually helped someone's shooting - I personally think that person needed to learn to shoot properly in the first place. Very little practice with any gun teaches perfect head position, perfect eye relief with no gizmo attached to the stock. With skill, any gun can be handled, mounted and shot accurately - without a gizmo attached to the stock - it's something you learn to do - automatically.

If you become reliant on a gizmo to properly position your head then you will need that gizmo. If the gizmo is missing you will likely not be able to shoot at all because you did not learn to shoot properly in the first place. No gizmo can take the place of proper gun handling and knowledge - gizmos - something new that isn't needed, to spend money on.

I suggest that one does not become reliant on a gizmo that replaces proper training.

X2

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:35 am 

Whitewolf wrote:
IMHO a kisser button would only be practical if one is strickly shooting competitive target. Just the type of shirt jacket sweater changes ones length of pull. Also changes how one grips the weapon. So the placement of a kisser buttom will only be guide. Practice practice is the key.

X2

It's ALL about muscle memory.

I used to do a lot of archery and Kisser Buttons are really popular in that sport. Never had a use for one myself :D

DaveD :D

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:45 am 

Daryl your correct and no one is saying this gadget as you so call it is going to help your shooting accuracy skill's, but merely helps in your speed on target time, some higher end scopes have better eye relief and are easer to look through and sight in your target and some you might have to slide your check back and forth a little in order to get a good view, so this gadget merely takes away that little time spent in doing so. :wink:

I'm not suggesting that people run out and get it and they will become better shooters, just explaining what its use would be for.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:58 pm 

… and personally, I don't think that's all that bad. :) Hand-gun shooters, for example have learned the value of using an isosceles shooting position in recent years: a consistently repeatable view through the sights of your pistol, as well as an ability to shift to different target angles without shifting perspective through the sights.

Assuming that I don't have to argue the fact that rifles offer more basic accuracy over a pistol, owning a rifle that can single-hole five rounds at 50 metres is not going to guarantee you that performance. Given your rifle is capable, and given your sights or scope is properly sighted, the single major variant other than possible environmental factors, is the shooter's consistency in retaining the same view through the scope/sight with each shot. I gotta say this would be an excellent enabling tool for those trying to acquire that skill.

Gimmick? Com'on! It's as much a gimmick as a scope is.

$0.00

(and now I will take the submissive position because I have perhaps challenged two members for whom I have a great deal of respect and who could easily bury into submission. I'm only sayin' this tool addresses one of the biggest issues for novice rifle shooters, Hey, if a multi-millionaire golf pro can play a game (maybe or maybe not a match) with a super-tactical angler/dangler ball trajectory device attached to his putter (and actually endorse it), why can't an amateur shooter use a guidance tool to learn (and actually deliver) consistent rifle-sighting techniques.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:28 am 

:lol: oh the wider we open our mouths, the deeper we get ourselves in trouble:

As above, this line: "… I have a great deal of respect and who could easily bury into submission."

is missing a pronoun, leaving the reader the opportunity to pick one.

The line was intended to include the pronoun and read as follows: "… I have a great deal of respect and who could easily bury me into submission."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:11 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
Hand-gun shooters, for example have learned the value of using an isosceles shooting position in recent years

I don't know that the value of this shooting position is a recent discovery, but allow me to say that perhaps this kisser button might be of use to some shooters who have difficulty finding the best place to put their cheeks when shouldering a rifle to shoot. I was thinking about this thread when I was shooting rifles this weekend, and I must say that it occurred to me that I did not need help in finding where to place my cheek. I'll hazard a guess that many shooters who have shot rifles a fair bit find it second nature to find the proper cheek placement. Now I will add a caveat about the IZH 61. It is a small gun with an adjustable stock. I found it awkward to shoulder and to look through the sights. But I don't think a kisser button would have helped. For me, it's definitely one of those guns that belongs to the missus.